• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Cancels One Piece Production

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Great, no more 4kids dubbed One Piece, that's fine.

But are other companies going to want to touch it? As popular as it is as a fansub favorite and a Japan hit, they might look at the notion of picking up a 4Kids disaster negatively.

And 4Kids might not even let it happen, especially if they're still making some money on their terrible adaptation. It could stay dead in the water forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks, Daikun, Eric Appleman, and Mark Barbour

*AHEM*
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The big question would be: To pretty much save face, would Kahn need to show some "Testicular Fortitude" and do a PROPER uncut release in order to maximize profits? Or will he be a pansy and suck his thumb humming "not gonan listen, lalalalalalala!!!!"
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje:
Quote:
Every episode 4kids trotted through was a win for them (plus the initial licensing), though I'm sure most people would hate to admit it.

I'm not sure how low ratings and stock are considered a "win". Unless you live in Fantasyland, like Time Warner.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I would like to be optamistic that another licenceing company will pick it up and show the whole series as it was ment to be seen.

Instead I will mourn for a series that had great potential in the US before 4kids slaughtered it, because I'm not sure we will get to see anything other than the crap that they served us.

How many more great anime series are to fall prey to a 4kids butchering before they finally go out of business?
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
The big question would be: To pretty much save face, would Kahn need to show some "Testicular Fortitude" and do a PROPER uncut release in order to maximize profits? Or will he be a pansy and suck his thumb humming "not gonan listen, lalalalalalala!!!!"

Kahn doesn't see profits in uncut releases. If he did, Yugioh and Shaman King wouldn't have been canceled. If the dub doesn't do what they want it to, that's it with them. The series is shelved and they move on to the next project.

Something to consider that I haven't seen mentioned. Even if the series is a moderate success (it's no Pokemon, but it's not a complete bust), the license is likely hella expensive and might be more than they want to invest. If they only took the first 104 episodes, perhaps the licensing cost is too high for them to bother with more considering overall profits on the franchise. They said awhile back they wanted to start focusing more on in-house productions and less on imports because of costs in the current market. Anime licenses are a lot more expensive now than they were when Pokemon and Yugioh were picked up.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

How many more great anime series are to fall prey to a 4kids butchering before they finally go out of business?

The rumor I heard was that 4Kids is dropping all their anime...but that's just a rumor...
Chrono Jr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
My big question is will we start seeing some of the cross over video games on state shores? Probably not jump Superstars due to the fact 4kids still has the license for Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!, but since they're is a possibility they MAY sell the license to someone else (Hopefully VIZ or FUNi) maybe they will release Battle Stadium D.O.N. I was going to get the import but if there is a possibility it could be released, I might just hold off for at least a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So now they need another unliscensed massively popular shonen tittle to mutilate. How about Hunter x Hunter?
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Hehe, K-F knew way before it got here. And I see that the news was so awesome, it had to be posted twice. Oh yes, this is a good day for One Piece fans. Hopefully, a dub company that can actually respect it's fanbase, or at least to not completely feck it up.

yeah i heard this yesterday from that guy i think. i actually think it great that the 4kids massacre is over but i did love the series. i wish it didn't get that terrible treatment.

if anyone should pick it up and redo the old eps i VOTE FOR VIZ!
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I really, REALLY hope FUNimation reconsiders the merit of this series and actually puts out a bid for it...but it's doubtful that they would after the failure of Detective Conan.

And that is the reason why I hope Funi doesn't get One Piece, they already had a chance with Detective Conan(Another big show in Japan) and look how that went. I sometimes think that
Case Closed is the One Piece dub of Funi. Viz all the way. I mean look at the stats of the two companies having shows with over 100 epidsodes

Funi
Dbz
Yu Yu Hakusho
Case Closed

Viz
Inuyasha
Bleach
Naruto
Zatch Bell
Prince of Tennis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:

And that is the reason why I hope Funi doesn't get One Piece, they already had a chance with Detective Conan(Another big show in Japan) and look how that went.

How what went? A weekly broadcast relatively unedited on [adult swim] for an age group sophisiticated enough to actually follow the story?

If you're talking about the name changes, FUNimation is notorious for being "creative" with dubs, but really, that's arsininely minor.

Mr.Shonen wrote:

I sometimes think that Case Closed is the One Piece dub of Funi.

Oho? Is that your mouth talking, or your arse? You'd better have some seriously credible empirical evidence to support something like that, since I think all of the Detective Conan fandom, including myself, would agree that the dub was a good effort and bringing the show to Western shores.

Mr.Shonen wrote:

Funi
Dbz
Yu Yu Hakusho
Case Closed

Viz Communications
Inuyasha

ShoPro
Bleach
Naruto
Zatch Bell
Prince of Tennis

Fixed for accuracy. Additionally, you fail to recognize that not even a hundred episodes of ShoPro's material has been dubbed yet, and that the Inu-Yasha product is a holdover from when the company was Viz Communications solely.

At that, Bleach is a comparable failure to One Piece, since it hasn't transcended its popularity in Japan despite getting premium treatment in the West. Anime isn't infallible, there ARE a lot of inherent problems with certain shows that don't click with some audiences.

For Bleach, it would probably be the utter lack of a plot. Dragonball Z is popular with young children than adults, so why on Earth is Bleach on [adult swim] when that's not even the Western audience who would watch it the most...?

Why, to avoid negative stigma following the One Piece and Konjiki no Gash dubs. A silly, rather stupid idea on their part.

I'd rather not have some incompetent fools like that take OP and make it "serious" and "faithful"; localization is the key, provided the localization is good. FUNimation has the clout and support to do that, Viz doesn't.
King Mob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
nice, every time I heard sanji's dubbed voice I wanted to punch someone in the face.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I bet it's because of all the One Piece fanatics scaring them. I've seen a million petitions for it.

I guess that means we probably won't get the movies....
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Good riddance. I can only hope this means some time soon the rights will clear up and a descent coompany will pick up One Piece. I'd be Viz over Funimation, but either would be good. While I know some fans didn't like the dub, I wish One Piece got the good treatment Naruto did.

Meanwhile, I'd say some of the One Piece dub wasn't horrible. Ok, and by some, I mean Zorro was good and Luffy and maybe Nami were good about 45% of the time. The choice for Sanji was blatantly stupid. I can understand

Of course, what killed me were the edits. Between the oversensativity to religion, the blatant xenophobia to Japanese culture references, and the typical facist anti-smoking and anti-gun sentiments. Dear crap, even the Marines couldn't have real guns! Hell, they changed it to Navy because they thought Marines was too far over kids heads! It's this mentality of sticking kids heads up their butts post-9/11 that could ruin a generation. I'm quite sad to see One Piece suffered because of it.

So, here's hoping the rights clear an a good company can deliver us an uncut version of One Piece. And I can only hope for a new dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12