• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy VII's Cloud Joins Super Smash Bros. on Wii U/3DS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I can buy this more than tossing Friday the 13th's Jason into that...damn I forgot what that fighting game was.

Tossed in because the staff at NRS love Friday The 13th and Predator not just because they wanted to throw them in.

Even so it's just so odd. It's up there in the same way they made the Freddy vs Jason movie. But I guess sometimes it's fun to just go crazy every once in awhile.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I can buy this more than tossing Friday the 13th's Jason into that...damn I forgot what that fighting game was.

Mortal Kombat X.

Thank you! I was thinking it was that game and I wasn't sure. Thank you for confirming that. Laughing

Last edited by Chrno2 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Bet they will throw in Sephiroth and Tifa

I'm totally expecting them to include Sephiroth, Tifa, and Barret outfits for the Swordfighter, Brawler, and Gunner Miis.
Kzwtl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
LOL out of all character... why Cloud? He doesn't fit into mash bro... Seriously, there are plenty of character fit more into this game... e.g. "Vivi" or "Kupo!" xDDD
maoyen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm just not seeing the big deal about this. I mean it's cool that they added him, but is it really a game changer? The Wii U's still selling horribly, and some dlc character's not gonna change that.

Last edited by maoyen on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
I never expected that Cloud from Final Fantasy would make it in Smash 4. Surprised I'm interested in what he has in his moveset.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
I guess I'm just not seeing the big deal about this. I mean it's cool that they added him, but is it really game changer? The Wii U's still selling, and some dlc character's not gonna change that.

The "big deal" is that Cloud really isn't known for being a Nintendo character. Unlike Snake, Sonic and Ryu who all starred as leads in major releases on Nintendo's platforms, Cloud has only ever made cameo appearances on handheld systems. The reason so many people are shocked about this announcement is that for all intents and purposes, it doesn't really make a lot of sense (unless of course Square Enix is planning to release either the remake or a port of the original on a Nintendo system in the future and isn't telling us).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I also find this funny because Sony tried and FAILED to get him into Playstation All Stars but lo and behold it took Nintendo next to no effort to get him in. Shows you how much of a joke that game was. All Nintendo needs to do now is put in Dante.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonderif this is the result of that fill-in vote for "Choose Your Next Smash Bros Character." I guess if you let fans pick whoever they want, they'll literally pick whoever they want.

The funny thing is Cloud is considered one of the most recognizible Sony characters, along with Toro, Neptunia, and Snake. I forget who the fifth one was in that poll in PlayStation Magazine.

-Stuart Smith
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I wonderif this is the result of that fill-in vote for "Choose Your Next Smash Bros Character." I guess if you let fans pick whoever they want, they'll literally pick whoever they want.

The funny thing is Cloud is considered one of the most recognizible Sony characters, along with Toro, Neptunia, and Snake. I forget who the fifth one was in that poll in PlayStation Magazine.

-Stuart Smith

except Cloud Neptunia and Snake are not Sony characters, they're from 3rd party companies, hell FF7 was originally going to be on the N64 before the jump to Playstation
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
It'll be fun to watch people ask for more FF characters in smash from now on.
spoiler[because that won't happen]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

The "big deal" is that Cloud really isn't known for being a Nintendo character. Unlike Snake, Sonic and Ryu who all starred as leads in major releases on Nintendo's platforms, .

Twin Snakes was a divisive remake that had largely been forgotten by the time Brawl came around. Hell the version of Snake featured in the game isn't even based off of the version from Twin Snakes.

SF4 3D Edition was anything but a major release as opposed to being a subpar port of a game made simply to try and convince people to buy the 3DS at launch.

Sonic had......Secret Rings.

AiddonValentine wrote:
I also find this funny because Sony tried and FAILED to get him into Playstation All Stars but lo and behold it took Nintendo next to no effort to get him in. Shows you how much of a joke that game was. All Nintendo needs to do now is put in Dante.

Sony wasn't in charge of who got onto the roster of PSABR much like Nintendo wasn't in charge of Cloud being added to the roster of Smash 3DS/Wii U.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

I had the impression that Square-Enix went to these companies to ask for inclusion. That's what happened with Snake, at least.

At the same time though, I remember reading about how Capcom reps mentioned no one from Nintendo ever asked to have Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe it works both ways.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I wonder if this is the result of that fill-in vote for "Choose Your Next Smash Bros Character." I guess if you let fans pick whoever they want, they'll literally pick whoever they want.

-Stuart Smith

I suspect that the write-in poll had something to do with it too. It does say, right in the poll, not to vote for non-Nintendo characters though. But I'm sure this doesn't really stop anyone from trying.

I remember making an effort to get Neptunia into Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and while it almost made the official ballot, it fell just short because I found out about the nomination phase too late.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sonic had......Secret Rings.

And Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Battle, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, and Sonic Rush by the time Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out.

Of those, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Battle, and Sonic Rush were Nintendo system exclusives.
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

The "big deal" is that Cloud really isn't known for being a Nintendo character. Unlike Snake, Sonic and Ryu who all starred as leads in major releases on Nintendo's platforms, .

Twin Snakes was a divisive remake that had largely been forgotten by the time Brawl came around. Hell the version of Snake featured in the game isn't even based off of the version from Twin Snakes.

SF4 3D Edition was anything but a major release as opposed to being a subpar port of a game made simply to try and convince people to buy the 3DS at launch.

You seem to be forgetting that both Metal Gear and Street Fighter got their starts on Nintendo platforms. Street Fighter II was one of the best reasons to own an SNES and Metal Gear 1 and 2 were released for the NES in the late 80s. Ryu and Snake débuted on Nintendo platforms (unless you count arcade.) Cloud is a little different (though again, the series débuted on Nintendo and was a company exclusive for six installments,) but this could indicate that Square Enix will release the FFVII remake on the Nintendo NX.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:

You seem to be forgetting that both Metal Gear and Street Fighter got their starts on Nintendo platforms.

I didn't count them as Metal Gear for the Nes was an inferior port of an existing game whereas Street Fighter 2 debuted to the world as an arcade game before being ported to a ton of platforms. Also those two games pretty much have nothing to do with either of them being in the respective Smash games.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

And Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Battle, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, and Sonic Rush by the time Super Smash Bros. Brawl came out.

Of those, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Battle, and Sonic Rush were Nintendo system exclusives.

I went with what was actually exclusive and more or less immediately preceded Brawl's release, Secret Rings was what jumped to mind.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I went with what was actually exclusive and more or less immediately preceded Brawl's release, Secret Rings was what jumped to mind.

Well, the Mario & Sonic series had already begun at that point, so... it wouldn't be the first time he was in a crossover with Nintendo specifically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4