• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lost Village (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
A giant Mitsumune? The bus driver's daughter is alive?

Possible:

A) ghosts or some other supernatural phenomenon,
B) hallucinations (its in the water or something),
C) someone with tech is messing with them.

Any other options? Anyone care to place any bets on what it turns out to be?

Sticking with my original theory that they're all dead. Other possibility is Koharun isn't what she seems, and she lured them all to the village to be sacrificed to something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it's not something so cliche as they were all killed in the bus accident. I think the "giant Mitsumune" and the dead daughter are two different things at work. The giant is either a trick of the light and shadows or an effigy carved into the rock that bears a similarity. Either way, I'm not sure why seeing a giant Mitsumune would freak them out like that. Wouldn't they just go "what the hell??" Unless it was alive and moving toward them...

I knew they were going to circle back to their paint marks.

I'm not really wracking my brains to figure this out yet. I feel like they're going to do a giant ass-pull anyway, like Lost, so it would be a waste of effort. If they'd actually show us something instead of just showing reactions, I might feel more optimistic about the outcome. But after everybody acting like Kill-'m-all Girl trying to murder Mitsumune was so not a big deal that it didn't even warrant mentioning, I've kinda lost hope for any logical potential in this.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
mysteries to be solved:
1)what happenned to yottsun and what pukey is hiding/why she was injured and in the middle of the forest?
2)wtf were those cries, the bloody claw mark on the tree and the big footstep?
3)who opened the cell gate/ why didn't they check it yet?
4)what the organizers are planning?
5)why the bus driver is acting strange? Daughter that died??
6)giant mitsumune? Does mitsumune means smt else?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

*hears loud noise in the forest in middle of the night*
Okay, this is starting to look a lot like Lost (tv series).

Everyone apparently heard something differently that is perhaps personal, and even seeing some threats of things they are afraid of. This is really starting to feel like Lost, it is right in the title too. If a polar bear suddenly appears and there is a mysterious hatch, totally called it.

Anyway, looking at the facts like a "giant Mitsumune" and a dead daughter, looking at those things by themselves is pointless. The monster is clearly perceived differently by each person, or at the very least it could choose to be perceived by pulling something from their mind. The bus driver probably feels something over the death of his daughter, and clearly Maimai has some insecurities about people like and like Mitsumune himself. There is no evidence that Jack was really in the forest then, it kind of feels a little implausible that he would have made it out there by himself.

Apart from the Lost similarities, I might also say a touch of Silent Hill, which essentially has among other things gods that can pull things from minds and mess with geography with things like loops. Just thinking of fiction with similar themes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:53 am Reply with quote
That would seem to be the proper analysis as of now, that they've all experiencing their own hallucination or seeing a manifestation that's personal them to them only based on various circumstances. Like others, I just hope it's not a "they're all dead" because Lost, Sixth Sense, Angel Beats, and others have so driven that concept into the ground that it would seriously ruin any show.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
Lost + The Village= Mayoiga/ The Lost Village Razz

I'd say that there is something supernatural at work here. They're all trapped inside a barrier. Their equipment seems to be on the fritz to a certain extent. They're walking forward but somehow going in circles. etc.

I still figure there is a monster of some sort in play here, because I'm pretty sure everyone saw the footprint and slash marks.

However when they see the monster, it seems to take on the form of whatever the individual most fears. MaiMai is terrified of a giant Mitsumune because Mitsumune reminds her of her previous boyfriend that she didn't trust. Judgeness sees it take the form of Jack since Jack tried to kill him in episode 3. The driver seeing his dead daughter, etc.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Any other options? Anyone care to place any bets on what it turns out to be?

I'm just going to call a spade, a spade...It's the Boogeyman. Wink

Between all the nursery rhymes/lullabies being sung within the show, the shapeshifting to meet individual fears, spiriting misbehaving children away to a place of no return, the "bear" prints (bugbear), and even the weird happenings involving the crops being fertile (el Coco)...it's all looking pretty fitting at the moment.

Still though, the show is keeping me extremely entertained. The mystery isn't nearly so interesting to me as watching how the show handles juggling so many characters while still managing to give them all a little time to shine.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
I will have to say one of my favourite parts in the recent episode was actually something like a character parts. Like where we see the male military otaku taking a hit to his pride after seeing that he might not only be wrong about the female military otaku in knowing what she is talking about, but she might even outdo him in her model guns and that she has taken part in airsoft games. Maybe reading too much into it, but his reaction to her correcting that she has not actually fired a gun but it was airsoft might have implied that the fact itself that he was envious that she is/was part of such a community was something beyond him. Earlier he thought she was a fake compared to him, but it changing.

You can read a bunch of other stuff too about characters such as that Judgement despite his chuunibyou bravado is actually a huge "scaredy cat", and is probably why he acts that way. Or on the women side you have one who would use her gender to try and get guys to put themselves in danger for her, and another who I think had a larger build who seemed to put little faith in men.

We also have to look at Masaki who has been acting increasingly odd, which has two likely answers. Either she is she is feeling guilt over something happening which could either be from her compulsive thoughts in feeling that not doing something made the bad turn her fault, or she might have actually done something. Alternatively it might be more gender related, something causing her to essentially try and avoid Mitsumune who seems to be the one trying to approach her, and could have something to do with the assumed attempted rape, or maybe something more with her past.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just hope it's not a "they're all dead" because Lost, Sixth Sense, Angel Beats, and others have so driven that concept into the ground that it would seriously ruin any show.

Except that wasn't the case with LOST? Everyone was alive unless/until you saw them die, or they died after the end of the series proper at some later date.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just hope it's not a "they're all dead" because Lost, Sixth Sense, Angel Beats, and others have so driven that concept into the ground that it would seriously ruin any show.

Except that wasn't the case with LOST? Everyone was alive unless/until you saw them die, or they died after the end of the series proper at some later date.

Apparently the entire spoiler[last season was everyone in purgatory], the very end revealing spoiler[they had all died]. And I think some earlier date revealed that spoiler[Lok had died some time earlier than that and was replaced by the smoke monster]. That show got crazy towards the end that it felt less like things were planned out and more that they were just pulling ideas out.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Apparently the entire spoiler[last season was everyone in purgatory], the very end revealing spoiler[they had all died]. And I think some earlier date revealed that spoiler[Lok had died some time earlier than that and was replaced by the smoke monster]. That show got crazy towards the end that it felt less like things were planned out and more that they were just pulling ideas out.

That's... not really accurate. The "flash sideways" scenes weren't spoiler[purgatory], they were spoiler[an alternate "holding" world subconsciously created by the survivors]. No matter spoiler[when they died, they ended up there], and they spoiler[all waited there, in this alternate world, until they were all there, when they moved on together]. However, that was completely spoiler[separate from the main timeline of the storyline]. As for spoiler[Locke], yes spoiler[he was killed], and spoiler[his body was inhabited by the smoke monster for the final season].
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

That was so weird....
Also, Lion can see when people are going to die? That ending also made me yell 'WHAT' just because of the way it was presented although whatever that is looks strangely familiar. (I think from the first episode?)

Either way, I think the show entered a whole new level of weird this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
"DIVINE JUSTICE!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

That ending, though...what the hell?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I think you would be better off tagging along with the gang from the Blair Witch Project than being anywhere near this crowd of brittle maladjusted head cases.

No, Lion can't see that either.

My own private bet is that it will turn out that Mitsumune -- the sweet little boy shy of girls and wants to get along with everyone -- will actually turn out to be the worst psychopath of them all. I am sure we are seeing hints about it that will be obvious later.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, in the first place the kind of people who'd go on a tour like this were never the most well adjusted to begin with.

But that said they do spend quite a bit of time trying to discuss things rationally. It's just, much like real life, the efforts of reasonable people are ruined by impulsive fools.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
thoughts on how to simulate an giant monster half-human faced illusion in the middle of the forest at night?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6