• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Come More Anime Characters Don't Have Tattoos?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
"Japan is a very slow country to change"

And thank the Japanese gods for that. If Japan was like the West, anime would have been banned already by the PC police.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

And thank the Japanese gods for that. If Japan was like the West, anime would have been banned already by the PC police.

Rolling Eyes

Personally I've always found guys with tattoos to be pretty hot...and a bit manlier than me because I don't know if I could ever deal with that kind of pain! Hehe
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
If I was an animation artist, I would definitely want to avoid extra stuff like tattoos on my characters. It's already tough enough when characters have scars and accessories.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

I just wish the corporate culture would change, too much tyranny and corruption and in spots there are human rights violations and exploitation of workers.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate a well done tattoo, I've seen some beautiful ink-work in my day, but so many people get the stupidest (or cheapest) crap on their skin. Yeah I'm sure that band or tv show will still mean something to you in 6 months. *eyeroll*
Either make your tattoo about something that'll be important to you the rest of your life (like the name or birth date of your child) or pay the extra money to get something really cool and artsy that won't age like a pop culture reference.
Jmanforever23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
What Anime/Manga is the cover photo for this article from?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Jmanforever23 wrote:
What Anime/Manga is the cover photo for this article from?

Crying Freeman, IIRC.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
That is Crying Freeman for sure.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
No offense to anyone, but I'm glad anime doesn't have a lot of characters with tattoos. I just don't find them attractive
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing You know it's true yet you can't admit it, thus Rolling Eyes is all you got. Laughing Laughing

Tattoo is still a taboo because it's heavily associated with Yakuza, so it's obvious you wouldn't see tattoo on most of anime characters. And agreed with the sentiments that it will be a huge pain in the ass for the animators.
Hektor6766

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Another person who doesn't like tattoos. It's not a form of self-expression; it's someone else's expression, using a human being as so much poster-board. Traditionally, so-called "decorative" tattoos were for demeaning a person, relegating them to a minion of some tribe, sect, gang, military unit, prison or concentration camp. They are an insult to the beauty of nature, freedom, and personal expression. I applaud Japan's rejection of such grotesque human defacement.
asckj1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Oh the ignorance of some people!!!! Anime hyper

The first sentences in the answer, rightly stated, should be in bold! One can't expect trend in 2 different countries to be similar. All asian countries are still quite conservative in many aspects that are considered just normal in america. Having a tattoo is considered to be a reflection of rebellious or an arrogant personality. At least that has been the type of mentality of most people in their late 30s+ (ofcourse with exceptions). So its not considered a part of something that's done normally or for fun, etc. Not sure about teenagers. So I think showing tattooed characters which are developed by such people in the first place is not surprising.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
If I was an animation artist, I would definitely want to avoid extra stuff like tattoos on my characters. It's already tough enough when characters have scars and accessories.

Eh, honestly, I'm pretty sure they'd just use Photoshop's Warp tool to bend an image around whatever body part it's attached to. It's not that hard to do, actually; much easier than clothing. Anime hyper

And at the risk of sounding ignorant:

Justin Sevakis wrote:
If you think that's a little harsh, tattoos are still illegal in Korea unless they're done by a doctor.

I can't imagine a medical scenario requiring a tattoo, and I kind of doubt a cosmetics doctor (like a plastic surgeon or whatever) would have the know-how to give someone a tattoo.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
I remember back when you were cool if you had a tattoo but nowadays you're cooler if you don't have one which is why I still don't have a tattoo. Razz
Nazca Lily #837256

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
The guy, Kawafuji, from Barakamon has tattoos and when Naru saw them she had a granny draw some on her. Also Renji from Bleach has the huge tribal tattoo pattern on his face. Never did like Renji's tattoos.

Also in the manga Horimiya - Izumi Miyamura has tattoos and he's a high school kid.

Most tattoos that I have seen on the general public, I don't see as very appealing because they seem to use the same flash art. Large swathes of tattoo work tend to be a big turn off to me. I don't mind small or modest size type of ink.

As an individual who has a tattoo, I thought long and hard about getting one - I did my homework. Ended up having a customized one for me put together that has a personal meaning. The reaction I get from my aunt and uncle from Korea is that they think it's pretty yet not real but my cousin who has a half-sleeve, gets despair. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4