• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi Muyou Season 4 Reveals Staff, Ending Song, Fall OVA Launch, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Whatever happened to Ryoko and Ayeka? Would it kill them to have the key visual include the two characters we actually watch Tenchi for?

We who? given it's a harem series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, the 3rd wasn't great, but with the first two being among my favorites I'm hopeful this will be something great again. Just use Kajishima's doujinshi, they're as canon as anything else Twisted Evil
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
No need for Ryoko and Ayeka, they'll just get in the way of all the WONDERFUL NEW CHARACTERS we're all supposed to already know because THE NOVELS.

Well, "No need for Tenchi", either. Razz
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
AIC owns the rights to Tenchi not K Sensei, so its ultimately them who decides when something comes out.

K Sensei basically had supervisory roles on OVA, akin to an executive producer on a film, this means his input was not necessarily the driving force, if at all.

Its been almost 7 years since geminar and over 10 since the ova 3, which was released some ten years or so after ova 2.

So no K Sensei is not milking anything.

Regarding OVA 3, it was actually pretty good , and much like Crystal Skulls, a work that stayed true to the original. Sure the original tenchi had some comedy, but it had as much if not more sci fi action and somber philosophical waxing. Several episodes devoted to Kagato and Dr Clay that had very minimal humor. Also Tenchi broke through a black hole, ie breaking reality, so I don't really see any issue with the last episode in OVA 3. Tenchi isn't really doing anything far fetched as far as the character goes.

I feel like hate for OVA 3 boils down to two things, Aeka and Ryoko taking a back seat and the overall pacing of the show. For the former, can't say much, they simply don't appear as prominent, but for the latter its a combination of there is plenty of side material just not released in the US, so we feel like a lot of stuff is missing but its readily available in Japan, and the fact there were only 7 episodes to work with. While GXP had 26 and geminar 13 50 min episodes, tenchi only had 7. So as a consequence there is not enough time to throw in a few filler episode of Aeka and Ryoko doing stupid stuff, and that probably more of a budget issue than any fault on the creators. I mean no material in the OVA 3 comes out of left and if anything it ties up some nice plot holes.

I mean the only legitmate criticism I can throw at K Sensei and the OVA series in general is that its not a big deal to add characters like Kiyone from the Universe but for whatever reason , he chooses not to, and at the end of the day Kiyone is not even that interesting of a character anyway.

[Edit]: removed snark. Errinundra.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
As a Tenchi fan, I'm anxious to see what turns out. Though I hope to see some decent story telling than the last one, which appeared to be more of a slice-of-life than what made Tenchi, Tenchi.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
I personally really liked the 3rd OVA. I haven't seen GXP, but it or this can't possibly be as terrible as Universe was. I vomit in my mouth a little every time I see someone praise that show.

I like the new designs here in this image though. They genuinely feel like they fit in.
Even if Tenchi can never truly ever pick one of the women to be his waifu. The shipping nuts would throw a tantrum. Just pick one damn it. lol.
Arthur Giil

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed "War on Geminar", which according to ANN was directed by Masaki Kajishima himself, so I have some hope that this fourth OVA will be better than the third OVA. Hidetoshi Takashi, the director for OVA4, has some positive projects behind him, tought I can see some less positive ones, such as Aquarion Logos, but hopefully he'll lean towards his experiences from Magi and SAO Wink

I do find it interesting to see Minaho in the key visual, who is the right hand to Seto-sama Cool
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Never thought I'd end up saying this, but it's nice to see that art style again. When Tenchi/El Hazard were at their peak, that AIC style became rather overused, but now one look at that image in the article takes me right back to the 1990s.

What I remember liking about Tenchi most was its atmosphere. The sumptuous seasonal background, the wood-based Jurai design asthetic, the costumes, the characters that were fun to hang out with, and the music that pulled all those elements together so perfectly. That relaxed, warm atmosphere would be a tough thing to recapture so many years later, but I'd love to see it happen.

I've still never seen OVA 3. The reaction was so negative, I figured it would be a waste of time. Maybe if word is better on this one, I'll rewatch all the OVAs from the beginning.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
I was big fan of the franchise, since it's beginning.

Whatever spark it had, died when original OVA run ended. GXP was extremely 4th wall silly, but i have to admit it better than OVA3.

I wasn't as big of fan of the reboot/reimage spin offs like Tenchi Universe, since i was bigger fan of the space soap opera side of it.

As for this new effort I do think though, we should not judge a book by it's cover with this effort. Key art they just posted here, did not impress me as much.

I remember when Tenchi was fun to watch.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
Oh Ai Orikasa, I still love you so!! Tenchi is still ALIVE!! I didn't think they were going to revisit this series again. And to think I was just thinking about this franchise today.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
The only part of the third OVA I didn't like was the reused OVA footage that looked worse than the remastered footage. The new characters from episode 2, the miniarc involving Mihoshi's brother and the final/first confrontation with Z coupled with episode 7's "what does that mean?" use of Kagato...

That's Tenchi Muyo! at its heart; I Love Tenchi, Hello Baby, Here Come Jurai and all those introductionary episodes that is the first OVA series... it's not Tenchi Universe, the main OVA is all about: introducing new characters/family members, introducing a villain and dispatching him in the last two episodes and a lot, a lot, of fantasy slice of life that's either about "so cute it hurts" moments or "what was that?" levels of mindscrew. Advent of the Goddess anyone?

That's Tenchi. Going by that image alone, I'm happy with what we should get, an answer to the question of whether that Rea is that Rea from War on Genimar... because this series just doesn't have enough immortal beautiful women. I'm serious, it doesn't.

Which brings me to my favorite part of OVA 3; Tenchi's mom was senile... and awesome. Explains so many things, especially about Nobuyuki...

I never bought Universe's movie series, you see. It's just too out of character, even for a reboot.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm literally watching Ryo-Ohki 3 right now. Honestly, I'm hoping this gets canceled or it turns out to be an amazing masterpiece of outstanding proportions. Tenchi should just rest in peace, not be kept on this awful life support.

I agree. OVA 3 was just Evangelion level bad. Everything from the reveal of the goddesses, the revalation that Ryoko is just another creation of Washu, the fact that Sasami is Tsunami(groan), and this Z guy being a shoehorned-in bad guy, was just stupid. I mean, who didn't see this crap coming? This series should've died a long time ago. It really went to hell when these side series came out like Universe, In Tokyo, and even War on Geminar which has very little to do with Tenchi Muyo other than the protagonist being Tenchi's younger stepbrother. GXP is ok with me but it has it's problems.
Distant Thunder

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow... What happened to the art? As someone mentioned, Tenchi has lost his farmer/countryside-life tan, those two chicks looks like they're already moms and just don't have anything to get them to the levels of Ayeka or Ryoko.

Damn, I wish soo much that they would release something akin to the Ryo-Ohki original OVAs, on the same time line, with the same characters and more epicness.

This just looks bland and tasteless...

Jeez, I ended up listening to the first OVA OP again and getting sad...
Tensami

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I mean, FFS. Chibi Tokimi. Loli Kagato. Tenchi's mom being senile.

All cool stuff I agree. Cool

But, sure, OVA 3 certainly wasn't perfect, being promised more episodes than you end up getting has a tendency to fudge up the pacing. Too bad there isn't going to be like, oh I don't know, a sequel series to wrap up some loose ends and stuff...

I think it's unfair how you put the blame squarely on Kajishima for OVA 3's shortcomings though. He didn't even direct the damn thing.

And why are you always complaining about OVA 3 in every single thread Tenchi is mentioned. I don't search out Attack on Titan news just to write about why I think the series is shit.
You know, there are pills to help out with those anger issues man. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
There are no pills to remove my rage over TM OVA 3. It will linger in the ages after my passing and even onmyouji mystics won't be able to exorcise it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5