• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Male Hunter × Hunter Fans Vote for Favorite Female Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Wow you know there is a lack of notably female characters, when one of the top 10s is "Woman B" Killed by Tserriednich
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Camiru Mylle wrote:
Come on! No Pakunoda!?? Paku is my favorite.

I second this.

There may be few prominent female characters in HxH, but I concur they're better written than certain other shounen manga (plural).

PS: I wonder if they're about to choose Kurapika, but then the system reject it, so they got to choose Killua's grandma or some random characters.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
No..Alluka is a boy.. get over yourselves HxH male fans u KNOW its a boy, theres just no other way not even the anime will justify that. Killua eyes he can see "him" as a girl, NO ONE HERE is Killua xD.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:

There may be few prominent female characters in HxH, but I concur they're better written than certain other shounen manga (plural).

That's a bit of a tease! If they are in fact better written, why can't a few join the main cast throughout the series? That would be a game-changer for continually well-developed female co-leads especially in freakin' Shounen Jump.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

That's a bit of a tease! If they are in fact better written, why can't a few join the main cast throughout the series? That would be a game-changer for continually well-developed female co-leads especially in freakin' Shounen Jump.

Well, you could have Gon fall into the Cursed Pond of the Drowned Girl. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

Well, if you haven't gone deep into Hunter x Hunter, the only lady I remember is the food hunter.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

For one part, I think Togashi had bad reputation since Yu Yu Hakusho has VERY scarce female characters. Keiko, Botan, Mukuro, Yukina, Shizuru Kuwabara, Koto, Juri, Genkai and Kuroko Sanada (first detective spirit) are the most important female characters, and only Genkai and Mukuro are active fighters, and if you're not a fighter in YYH, it's very hard to be part of the spotlight. We can count in Yusuke's mother that doesn't do much, really.

However, in Hunter x Hunter... Biscuit, Palm, Cheadle, Menchi, Shizuku, Machi, Cluck, Geru, Piyon, Menchi, Amane, Canary, Tsubome, Kikyo Zoldyck and Zazan are either straight out fighters or have an implied high-level of fighting capability. In this, we aren't counting the following non-fighters: Alluka Zoldyck, Komugi, Mito, Neon Nostrade, and, well, some others. Though, for each female character I listed there is at least 4 or 5 male characters.

When we mean that they're very well-written is that they are capable of taking the spotlight, Biscuit is in my opinion the greatest part of Greed Island (and she does join the main cast for the whole arc), the same goes for Komugi and Alluka Zoldyck in their respective arcs, which while they do not exactly join the main cast, they are intimately related to it. They are not scarce in quantity nor quality, at all.

As for why Togashi uses male characters as main characters, I think that he is plenty aware of the most common cliche in shonen manga: the female character is inevitably seen as likely love interest, thus the relationship he's written between Gon and Killua would be seen under a different idea by almost everyone, however, the two being male allows for broader interpretation and margin of action (and fujoshi bait). That might be the main reason why Biscuit is a 60 years old woman and Palm a 20+ years old, we know by fact that it's ridiculous for a relationship between them and two 14 y.o., they are put under a different perspective altogether.
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Biscuit at #1. She deserves it
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
wtf Heavens Arena 200th floor receptionist
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, I love this list. The clear standouts are #2 and #7, which are pretty hilarious additions as jokes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
It shows just how starved for female characters Hunter X Hunter is when the survey results wind up looking like this. Also, Hunter X Hunter is full of characters whose gender is ambiguous, so people might not be sure who they're voting for might even be eligible--characters like Biscuit and Machi are obvious, but characters like Neferpitou, Alluka, and, at least at the start, Kurapika could confuse people.

No spoiler[reincarnated Kite] though? But the real travesty is no Cheadle on the list. She is incredibly smart and savvy. But maybe there isn't much crossover with the Japanese furry fandom, or Japanese HxH fans don't like intellectual women.

KilluaX3 wrote:
Alluka is not a girl.

That's debatable. The tour guide refers to the Zoldyck hosuehold as having five sons. However, Killua refers to Alluka as a girl, and Killua's parents and Illumi refer to Alluka as an "it."

There's also some speculation that Alluka could even be somewhere in between, or is physically male but identifies as female.

Megiddo wrote:
If we're counting Alluka then we should also count Pitou.

That said, disappointed for no Ponzu, Piyon, or Palm.

So many female characters in HxH which start with a P.

No Zazan either. Then again, it was mentioned all Chimera Ants are male, even ones who look and act incredibly female, though I don't know how well that was followed upon.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
I miss elevator girl... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3