• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Businesses Welcome Pokémon Go; Memorials Request Removal From Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
The social dumbing down of society, gotta love it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fearlessEdition

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
The game definitely fun, but people really need to put it down. I was at a Paul McCartney concert the other day (Keep in mind tickets for this guy are ridiculously expensive) and people were constantly playing DURING THE SHOW. Come on.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, some of these locations are in very poor taste, and shouldn't have been included. On the flip side, players ought to have some sense of when playing the game isn't appropriate. However, people tend to lose sight of when or where something is appropriate when it gets in the way of their fun.

Also, I can see why businesses would be ok with this, but I have to wonder how effective it would actually be. How many players are going to feel like buying anything when they just came in for Pokemon? It might work for things like a coffee shop, but stores with more expensive items probably won't see much benefit.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This sounds fake, or like a really ignorant player. That's not how the game works at all. The game gives you a very generous radius to grab Pokemon and such. If I stood in my backyard, I could almost reach the houses across my street and the houses across the street from the house behind me (2 full streets, basically). There's absolutely no reason for anyone to need to go into any buildings except large ones like Malls or big Churches.

Secondly, you can disable AR. But even with AR on, as soon as you're in the large range I mentioned, you click the Pokemon and they will spawn within feet of you. You might have to spin around a bit, but you generally dont need to move at all from that position. So it being "on your keyboard" is a BS excuse. At worst he could've just disabled AR and it would've remained on his screen at all times, even if he drove hundreds of feet away (I play with AR off while in shotgun seat...I grab pokemon while on-the-move all the time).

I've never played the game so I don't really know the details of it, I'm just going based on observation. I've had kids running through my store like I said trying to get things because the AR is apparently still turned on. The mother didn't know about this feature, apparently. She's one of my regulars who just shoves technology into their kids face to shut them up. One of my trainees showed her how to turn it off for future use (but only after she captured the damn thing first). I've had two other incidents one involving a Domino's delivery driver blocking the exit gate to my apartment complex running over to a dumpster as well as a woman running around a parking lot going "come here you little shit" to one she was trying to get.

I don't get the game and I probably never will. As for no need to go into any buildings, that doesn't seem to be the case according to the news...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
fearlessEdition wrote:
The game definitely fun, but people really need to put it down. I was at a Paul McCartney concert the other day (Keep in mind tickets for this guy are ridiculously expensive) and people were constantly playing DURING THE SHOW. Come on.

What you'd rather they use their phones to record McCartney during the show?
Yamaji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:

That shouldn't be surprising. It's been going on since the end of WWII.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Harima

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
Yamaji wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

That shouldn't be surprising. It's been going on since the end of WWII.

Well Said Very Happy I would say it started well before that though.

Either way, by the time the fad has died, the CIA will have gathered a treasure trove of information about the habits of the individual players and their personal information. All that information will be VERY useful at some point when the CIA / NSA decides to use it in the future. The best part about this is ... the players paid the CIA to collect that information about them Laughing It's the kind of thing you read about in novels but it is very REAL !! They have done an excellent job baiting people into this ! Then again, they have been doing this for decades so it's not surprising.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know about you,Harima but are you sure you're on the same planet as the rest of us? "Pokemon Go" seems to me to be a harmless fun game. I hope you and the rest of the tinfoil hat brigade find better things to do with your time than spouting off unbelievable nonsense just for the heck of it.
Harima

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
"Pokemon Go" seems to me to be a harmless fun game.

Hahahahaha !!

I am sure it is indeed Very Happy

Reading comments like that never fails to bring a smile to my face because it reminds me again and again of how competent and effective these institutions are at brainwashing people and making them behave and talk exactly how they want them to be. Then again, they are the same group of people that employed the techniques of Edward Bernays and if someone like him can successfully portray a crime as an act of good then it shouldn't be hard for his disciples to do so and the public will never be the wiser.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Harima wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
"Pokemon Go" seems to me to be a harmless fun game.

Hahahahaha !!

I am sure it is indeed Very Happy

The game isn't to blame for the poor judgment of it's players.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:

Nah, whenever something is REALLY popular, this sort of antics always happens.

Deacon Blues wrote:
I've never played the game so I don't really know the details of it, I'm just going based on observation. I've had kids running through my store like I said trying to get things because the AR is apparently still turned on. The mother didn't know about this feature, apparently. She's one of my regulars who just shoves technology into their kids face to shut them up. One of my trainees showed her how to turn it off for future use (but only after she captured the damn thing first). I've had two other incidents one involving a Domino's delivery driver blocking the exit gate to my apartment complex running over to a dumpster as well as a woman running around a parking lot going "come here you little shit" to one she was trying to get.

I was listening to the news on the radio yesterday while driving, and they mentioned there have been a lot of fake emergency calls for the sole purpose of being able to get into the inner areas of police stations and fire stations so they can catch Pokémon or visit Poké Spots there.

So yes, I think it's confirmed that people will lose their rational thinking completely with this game.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
You are welcome to disagree with Harima, but you need to stop with the name-calling. I have edited your post to remove personal attacks and insults. --willag

@Harima: Here's the thing. Even if a minuscule amount of what he said is true,I'm not really worried. Why would the CIA,FBI,or NSA be spying on either of us? Me,I lead what could only be called the most boring life in all of human history. I'd hate to be the government agent assigned to me. He or she would be bored to tears looking through my stuff. It would be mostly Wikipedia,anime,cartoons,and basically ordinary stuff that the government wouldn't really be interested in anyway.

To me,BadNewsBlues had one of the best responses to this guy when he or she said "The game isn't to blame for the poor judgment of it's players." I second that statement.
Harima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Why would the CIA,FBI,or NSA be spying on either of us?

Hmm, I wonder why they would do that ?!! Very Happy

It's amazing how quickly humans forget ! That's why they keep repeating the same mistakes and uttering the same arguments. It's like watching reruns of a bad movie. I guess that is why repetition is an important part of learning since people tend to forget so quickly.

I can understand and fully sympathise with snomaster1's fear. It's a completely normal and expected reaction. It's scary when you are faced with things that challenge the foundations you believe the world is based on especially since these so called foundations are drilled into you since the day you are born. I fully understand why so many people choose not to think about these things and just turn-off and look the other way because it keeps them inside their comfort zone bubble. It may not be the healthy thing to do but it is what most people opt to do.

Incidentally, if your life is that boring then why don't you do some things to liven it up. I'm sure you can find many things that are far more exciting and fulfilling than playing Pokemon Go. I am ready to provide suggestions if you so wish.

I kind of took a liking to your “tin foil hat” phrase that you keep repeating. Maybe I will form my own group and call them the “Tin Foil Hat Brigade”. Once formed, the internet will never be the same again. Wink
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
They didn't think it through at all - they merely copied the Ingress (which is also run by Niantic) portal database.

Exactly - the points of interest in Go (whatever they're called, I haven't seen the game) are originally portals from Ingress, which in turn are all player-submitted locations. Until recently Ingress had a feature to submit new portal locations.

(In Ingress, the best spot in my town is the local graveyard, having in excess of dozen portals in very close proximity. And since we are exclusively Resistance, it is a popular farming spot for high level items as we've cooperated in building up top tier resonators.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3