• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Unveils PlayStation 4 Slim, PlayStation 4 Pro Consoles (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is that the only major difference between the Slim and the Pro? Are people going to pay an extra hundred bucks just so they can play in 4K?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Never underestimate the illogical ability of people willing to throw away money.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks. I think I'll pass on the Pro. The TV I use has a broken HDMI, so I'm really watching and playing everything in SD, technically, as the output video travels through an HDMI-to-composite converter (though I record in HD).
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
As long as all games can still work on my regular ps4 even with lower quality, I couldn't care less. It just makes ps4 more and more like a gaming pc. Heck they can release ps4 pro 2, 3, 4 for all I care. Until, of course, when they they decided to force those who already have the regular edition to purchase the pro edition by exclusively putting games on the pro edition. Then Sony can go f*** themselves.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Thanks. I think I'll pass on the Pro. The TV I use has a broken HDMI, so I'm really watching and playing everything in SD, technically, as the output video travels through an HDMI-to-composite converter (though I record in HD).

Going back to SD after getting used to playing things in HD can be difficult.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The irony though is that In the middle of it's run the 360 was marketed more or less under the same guise, eventhough it couldn't play blu-ray's natively.

The 360 had other things in its favour. Simpler architecture, being cheaper and a 1-year head-start + an initial format war creating consumer confusion. The DVD option also came back alter to bite the 360 when multiple discs started rearing its head and a few game examples required consumers to download GBs worth of data to get the rest of the game's release-day content.

Quote:
But the question is would they be able to make a profit selling something they'd likely be selling at a significant loss and too a likely small group of people?

Well, no, because they could just bump up the price to cover expenses, and the audience looking for it is the kind that would pay a higher price for better goods than the mainstream who the Slim system is for.

Quote:
Actually the general disappointment and negativity stemmed from the fact that prior to them going into depth as to what the Pro was people were feeling that they'd be screwed over if they didn't have the Pro. Do the to their beliefs that the Pro would have exclusive games made specifically for it. And that games on the Pro would look drastically better than games on the standard/slim PS4. The lack of 4K compatibility will only be a deal breaker for video connoisseurs.

That's because everyone already presumed a UHD player would be an obvious given for a system aimed at the 4K market. The lack of one is a total surprise and a BIG misstep for Sony considering Microsoft is already capitalizing on their lack of foresight to push the UHD player, and retail outlets are bundling Xbox One S with 4K TV sales to new customers. Of course this won't suddenly turn around the market for Microsoft versus Sony, but these are essentially lost sales towards new 4K customers. The majority of which want movies to show off that purchase.

This is the year for the 4K push where 4K will be the majority purchasing option for new TV owners, timed with 4K on Youtube, Netflix etc. Sony, ironically a TV manufacturer, a film distributer, and a major part of the blu-ray consortium itself... will NOT have the most attractive option that many in the mainstream would prefer over stand-alone players - a PlayStation Video Game system that plays UHD blu-ray. So the Xbox One S is going to be the best bang for the buck and has been reviewed as a pretty good player.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is that the only major difference between the Slim and the Pro? Are people going to pay an extra hundred bucks just so they can play in 4K?

Well the Pro has benefits to standard HD owners by improving graphics in other ways through downsampling, better shadows, better anti-aliasing, more geometry and models, texture, lighting etc. even steadier framerates.

The Pro will detect what TV you have and accordingly adjust what settings to run the game at, though I imagine that 4K owners could have the option for upscaled visuals or to get what regular HDTV owners will.

And Sony themselves admit they embarked on this endevour in order to prevent migration of gamers to the PC space who due to desiring better performance would pay more to upgrade PCs. Something that became a concern when the HD gen arrived, game budgets skyrocketed and necessitated a lengthier generation. Therefore systems like the Pro and Scorpio, coming in at better specs for higher prices is a stop gap solution until PS5 rolls around, which is at least what they are claiming for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3