• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keijo!!!!!!!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
UltScorpion wrote:
I'm almost tempted to check out the series because this was making me laugh for a while.

HA! Awesome
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Not to get weird on you, but believe it or not, Keijo is accurate on that one.

hey, i'm taking mental notes on what Keijoh does that QB and Ikkitousen did worse. If it continues to hit all the right notes, you just might see a smaller essay on the topic after all is said and done. So the weirdness factor is a non-issue here Razz .
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Keijo!!!!!!!! strikes the right balance between comedy and fanservice and even if remove all that it is still a good sports anime where the characters grow during classes, and during tournaments.
The name of the special attacks are just hilarious.

Still im surprised as how well it is been received outside the expected fan-base.

The only point i didn't liked was they removed the first part of the manga story. Maybe some parts will appear as flashbacks.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
one special ultimate attack form that heroine Nozomi accidentally discovers is called the Vacuum Butt Cannon.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't watch an episode of Shin Chan by mistake?

The power to undress girls is an ancient harem mc art.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
UltScorpion wrote:
I'm almost tempted to check out the series because this was making me laugh for a while.

Kotaku is a freaking joke, and their staunch disapproval is the reason I decided I needed to watch this show in the first place. And for someone who normally rolls their eyes at fanservice fests, this stuff is pretty darn entertaining.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
For those who got confused about Ujibe appearing at the end of the first episode, this episode was kind of like a flashback until we got to that part, which is a little weird and out of place but it's not as if the thick part in Keijo was its plot...I love these jokes.

Rederoin wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
one special ultimate attack form that heroine Nozomi accidentally discovers is called the Vacuum Butt Cannon.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't watch an episode of Shin Chan by mistake?

The power to undress girls is an ancient harem mc art.

And as far as we know, Nozomi has been building such harem. Miyata best girl.

Talking about Miyata, it's really funny to me that she has the same last name as Miyata Ichirou, Ippo's rival in the boxing manga and anime Hajime no Ippo.

Probably this episode was the least inspired of the two, with very lackluster ideas in storyboarding except for the part the mock race part, and there are cases in which even the fanservice was better in the manga.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Talking about Miyata, it's really funny to me that she has the same last name as Miyata Ichirou, Ippo's rival in the boxing manga and anime Hajime no Ippo.

Funny considering that spoiler[Miyata's next opponent makes use of a phenomenal that happens quite often in the boxing sport]
myarmor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
So why are the characters so slender and look like gymnasts?

During all the content the anime skipped you'll get to know that spoiler[the MC has
background in gymnastics, and she even ditched an offer for athletics college to do
something else..which eventually became keijo. Her partner/friend did the same with judo.]

Most of the players seem to have a background in some kind of sport.

So why wouldn't they look the part?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
myarmor wrote:

I'm not really convinced being more muscular would be an advantage. Wrestlers are muscular because there is grappling involved. Someone mentioned weight classes, but I'm not sure that is entirely applicable here. We're talking about young japanese girls so you aren't going to see the big deviation in weight you see in say boxing.

There is also the nature of the sport. The platform is not only unstable, but small and wet. A more muscular girl could put more power into those butt attacks, but by their nature they basically have all the girls weight behind them already which should be plenty to cause a loss of balance on slick, unstable footing with a good hit. Yeah the fat teacher just took one this episode, but that isn't super realistic seeing as how she didn't even brace herself (not that the show is suppose to be super realistic, but we're talking about their body types not being realistic so...). Makes sense to me that balance and mobility are generally better assets.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
myarmor wrote:

I'm not really convinced being more muscular would be an advantage. Wrestlers are muscular because there is grappling involved. Someone mentioned weight classes, but I'm not sure that is entirely applicable here. We're talking about young japanese girls so you aren't going to see the big deviation in weight you see in say boxing.

There is also the nature of the sport. The platform is not only unstable, but small and wet. A more muscular girl could put more power into those butt attacks, but by their nature they basically have all the girls weight behind them already which should be plenty to cause a loss of balance on slick, unstable footing with a good hit. Yeah the fat teacher just took one this episode, but that isn't super realistic seeing as how she didn't even brace herself (not that the show is suppose to be super realistic, but we're talking about their body types not being realistic so...). Makes sense to me that balance and mobility are generally better assets.

The small platform is only one of the multiple platforms in Keijo . You have multiple platforms connected by bridges, and alsospoiler[ ropes, jungle gym, airplanes side by side, even a sinking Japanese castle.]Depending of the body type and sports background you will have vantage in some platforms and disadvantage on others. That's why strategy and knowledge in dealing with any kind of platform or adversary is so important.

If there were only 1 or 2 types of platform, Keijo would become too repetitive from a audience point of view. Its the unknown of what platform comes next and how the athletes will deal with it, that makes Keijo so interesting.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
This is the most fun anime of the season for me after Jojo, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Who knew a show about swimming pool butt-sumo would be this engaging, and give Haikyuu a run for its money in terms of hot-blooded shonen-ness.
myarmor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
myarmor wrote:

It sounds like you misunderstood me slightly, but in the process you wrote
a rather good reply to the one I replied to.

"wouldn't" was italicized to emphasize that word, Iow, I was saying, why wouldn't
most of them be slender and whatnot considering most of them have a background
in sports.

Especially when you consider that most of the sports they've been doing (gymnastics,
judo, etc) seem to be those that won't neccessarily build alot of visible muscles, but
where weight management etc also is part of the package for different reasons, such as
mobility, weight classes, etc.

The MC even has a background in spoiler[gymnastics]..which would be a fair
reason to look like a gymnast.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm suspecting there is no male-Keijo due to the risk of accidental ballbusting Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
So it's sumo...only you only use your boobs and butt, and compete over a pool, and somehow this didn't end up in the same basket of failed sports as Slamball and X-Arm.

I have so many questions. Are there weight classes? Age limits? What's a legal target?

Dammit this makes Quidditch look simple.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a result, the series might be more palatable to those normally turned off by fanservice shows.

Honestly I only watched the first ep because I just needed to see how exactly the sport worked with its rule and I found myself agreeing and watching more. It was actually pretty humorous and despite being fanservice, it didn't feel over the top fanservice (at least, not anymore than Free! really). That and both the white-haired and pink-haired girls seemed interesting to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12