• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G's New Legend of the Galactic Heroes Anime Recasts Main Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:

(Change) Shin Get Robo did change (1998) did change the original 70s cast and it turned out to be good. Same with Shin Mazinger (2009), and Yamato 2022.

That's mainly because the characters themselves were different. Kamiya and friends were a lot more in tone of the original show while Ishikawa and Uchida (who both reprise their roles in New Getter) were more in tone with the "gritter" vibe of both Armageddon and New. Note how I didn't mention Shin vs Neo, as they didn't have much of a role in that outside of Hayato. And Hayato's always been a little off side, outside of the original show.

Quote:
Bad ones i can think about were Saint Seiya Inferno chapters, and Shin Hokuto No Ken.

Let's hope this change will turn out to be a good one Smile

Hilariously, I think Saint Seiya's probably one of the best examples of a cast change I can think of because it was the original cast themselves that decided to step, even if there had been some executive meddling in there.
Alkeia

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
. . . . a September cast announcement is a little late for an October premiere, isn't it?

Dare I hope that this will come after Yoshimasa Hosoya comes back?

Even if not, there needs to be a role for him later in the story. This story really looks like it deserves that something that really no one else has.

I just hope he recovers well, because any good anime deserves him.

Some may or may not like Hosoya's voice, but his acting skills aren't the greatest. I personally hope it airs before he comes back.

Every good anime deserves to not have him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Ok i respect people's opinion on the Ikeda (Char) example but he and Tohru Furuya still sound like Char & Amuro. The aging of their voice (which is very minimum IMHO) is normal for those who have been listening to them over the years in various Gundam shows and games

Well, Furuya barely ages. I think it's because he's a powerful Newtype.

He can return to the most likable character in LoGH, everybody's favorite: Andrew Fork!

SHD wrote:

Well, in case of LoGH the "original" anime was not the original work, it was just an adaptation of the source novel series which by that time already had a manga adaptation, and eventually there was also a different, unrelated OVA with a completely different voice cast. This new show is going to be yet another unrelated adaptation of the source novels. There's no obligation whatsoever to stick to the OVA cast, no reason other than people basically wanting more of the same. (And I really hope this show will not try to be "more of the same" but will stand on its own feet.)

For all intents and purposes, it's a remake. The LoGH OVA was, with a few exceptions, pretty close to the novels, just with bits of the short stories sprinkled in. Whether it's a technical remake or not is irrelevant, the result is basically the same.

Though Dusty Attenborough and Olivier Poplin get way more to do in the OVA than in the books. Three books in, and Poplin has gotten one scene with dialogue and Dusty is practically just mentioned offhandedly. The main novels seem to mostly stick to Reinhard, Yang, and to a lesser extent, Rubinksy and the Terra Church. At least, based on the three that have gotten here thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm highly curious who the director will be and what tone this version of LOGH will be. The classic 100+ episode OVA always felt like a true space opera; dramatic with historical nuances in it's space battles or political intrigue but just enough humor that the characters felt like actual people and not just cookie cutter caricature meant to appeal to some fetish.

My main concern perhaps more so than the new VAs is whether or not they will try to appeal to the Sword Art Online type of Sci Fi fan where the over dramatics, shallow use of controversial themes and emphasis on action scenes outweigh the emotional or even political challenging commentary of the novel (or at least the first two I've managed to read Anime cry) or direcror Ishiguro's adaptation.

For the voice actors specifically I hope it's a balance of original actors who are available like Kazuhiko Inoue and ones that have strong acting abilities like Akira Ishida or Daisuke Namikawa.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
Hosoya is a pretty good seiyuu, it's just that he keeps getting the same kind of role where he had to do that one thing that by now he can do in his sleep. It would be a nice challenge for him to do something unusual.

Bingal wrote:
I just hope they don't screw up the character designs. No J-pop boy band aethstetics please. Anything but that.

The story is canonically full of pretty guys, though? And Reinhard is supposed to be really beautiful.

penguintruth wrote:

For all intents and purposes, it's a remake. The LoGH OVA was, with a few exceptions, pretty close to the novels, just with bits of the short stories sprinkled in. Whether it's a technical remake or not is irrelevant, the result is basically the same.

One adaptation being very faithful to the source material doesn't mean that any subsequent adaptations are remakes of that adaptation. (Especially as you yourself go and list one of the major differences between OVA and book, which is by far not the only one.)
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
J pop bou band aesthetics means the ludicrous hair styles of shows like Titania. The original LOGH has great sober art style that fits the show's tone and writing perfectly. The main issue was the poor animation so what they should do is to just remake the show with modern technology without changing the art too much.

By the way, a 2013 show, Yamato 2199 is an example of a good remake of a 70s sci fi show. If the LOGH remake works just like that one I would be very pleased: the same substance with better production quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

(Change) Shin Get Robo did change (1998) did change the original 70s cast and it turned out to be good. Same with Shin Mazinger (2009), and Yamato 2022.

That's mainly because the characters themselves were different. Kamiya and friends were a lot more in tone of the original show while Ishikawa and Uchida (who both reprise their roles in New Getter) were more in tone with the "gritter" vibe of both Armageddon and New. Note how I didn't mention Shin vs Neo, as they didn't have much of a role in that outside of Hayato. And Hayato's always been a little off side, outside of the original show.

Quote:
Bad ones i can think about were Saint Seiya Inferno chapters, and Shin Hokuto No Ken.

Let's hope this change will turn out to be a good one Smile

Hilariously, I think Saint Seiya's probably one of the best examples of a cast change I can think of because it was the original cast themselves that decided to step, even if there had been some executive meddling in there.

Yup agreed, while Akira Kamiya is my number 1 seiyuu of all time (and honestly part of me still wanted him to continue to voice Ryoma) but i have to hand it to Ishikawa and the rest for providing an outstanding and completely different take on the characters. Which are actually closer to the source material

For Saint Seiya, to the best of my knowledge it was Kuramada's idea to replace them all and retain Furuya. But the latter refused to continue without his cast members so he got booted as well.

Kuramada sorta admitted it was a bad call later as that he expressed his concern over the fan's hate toward the new seiyuu cast.

Ultimately they were recasted again in 2012, but in the same fashion of Lupin III/Sailor Moon Crystal, for Saint Seiya Omega with Furuya and Mami Koyama reprising their roles. Basically the one(s) that mattered the most.

Personally i didn't like the Inferno cast (let alone the fact that Furuya was booted) and i prefer the Omega cast better for the other Saints.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Re: earlier replies, I will freely admit that I'm very strongly prejudiced (in the literal sense of the term) against this project. I have an extreme aversion to remakes of enduring classics, no matter the medium; even in the case of FMA: Brotherhood, a straight adaptation of the manga that diverged wildly from the earlier 2003 incarnation, it took me a while to warm to it and eventually enjoy it. And yes, I'm well aware that the LOGH OVA series is an adaptation (haven't gotten around to the novels yet), but you can't exactly tiptoe around the massive elephant in the room. It's somewhat like that terrible movie based on the story of Moses from a couple of years ago: yes, it's a separate adaptation, but after Cecil B. DeMille and Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner, why are you wasting your time? (Now if you change the medium entirely, as Dreamworks' excellent Prince of Egypt did, that's another story.) The pace is occasionally plodding, and the animation gets a bit rough at times, and there are some directorial quirks, and the reanimated scenes for the DVD release look terrible, but the overall presentation is so ridiculously good that one hardly notices these quibbles. Coupled with the near-mythical story of its production, and it's more than earned the reverence it receives.

(Honestly I think my biggest preemptive issue with this project is the certain knowledge that it'll be replacing all of those meticulously hand-animated shots of battling spaceship fleets with a few copy-pasted CGI models. *gag*)

And to be perfectly frank, I have absolutely no patience for those who dismiss a piece of entertainment because it's "too old." Great writing or directing or acting are timeless, and those who would ignore them due to a superficial initial reaction have only themselves to blame for missing out. Anime fandom in particular seems to have a disturbingly myopic focus on the latest shiny new release, at the expense of paying attention to series more than a handful of years old. If six-year-olds can sit through decades-old Disney classics and thoroughly enjoy themselves, then there's no reason that grown anime fans can't have at least some appreciation for the rich history of the medium.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Or, you know, it could also be good like Space Battleship Yamato 2199. We'll see
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3