• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Butler Creator Comments on Works With Homosexual Love

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otagirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
In response to some of the earlier posts, the most rabid shippers are definitely women. Be it Yaoi or Yuri and will aggressively defend their ships.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
And that's great, if the anime/manga is supposed to be about a gay couple. What I have a problem with is delusional fangirls who claim characters are gay when canon has made it quite obvious that they're straight, or not interested in romance to begin with.

So, delusional fanboys who claim female characters are gay when canon has made it quite obvious that they are straight get a free pass?

And apparently characters can’t be bisexual either.

This.

I just assume everyone is pansexual, because I see no reason why they shouldn't be. (I'm pansexual and I always thought the "liking only one or the other" thing was ridiculous. Not being genderfluid/agender also makes no sense to me... gender in general is just an illusion that humanity needs to outgrow, but anyway...)

Also, can we just appreciate the way the series uses sensuality to add to the whole food metaphor thing? Like the ED sequence of Book of Circus - not directly made by Toboso, but she definitely had input.

Also, just all of the illustrations/posters/ G Fantasy covers, etc. Her art is just gorgeous.

Also, G Fantasy is shonen in name only. Its audience is squarely women/fujoshi. K manga ran in it, The Royal Tutor is in it... it's pretty much all bishounen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
It seems when you have 2 same-sex characters that are really close, which is often brotherly, it is hard not for the "gay vibe" to appear. I think one of the worst fujoshi circles I've seen is Alphonse/Edward. They are freaking brothers!
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's weird how male couples are immediately labelled as "for fujoshi" and also weird how people will deny them.

Amen. I hope more creators take up this line of reasoning and push prominent queer characters out of the various genre closets into which they tend to get funneled. I totally appreciate the argument for subtext which generally makes for stronger storytelling, but it also kind of sucks when heterosexual romance isn't confined to that kind of "mature" narrative and therefore feels more prominent by comparison. I'm sure a lot of kids (and adults!) out there would feel affirmed by non-stereotyped, upfront, unapologetic representation of queer gender and romance themes as part of their typical media consumption.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
And that's great, if the anime/manga is supposed to be about a gay couple. What I have a problem with is delusional fangirls who claim characters are gay when canon has made it quite obvious that they're straight, or not interested in romance to begin with.

Yes. This. I can hardly enjoy shonen series (or any series that involves a lot of (beautiful) men) these days because of the fujoshi pandering the couples that have never been and never will be. A lot of characters in shounen genre series are mostly engaged in bromance and pure friendship, and yet each episode/chapter, a lot of toxic fujoshi translate it at something else, something romance and gay in their head.

I'm fine if it's canonically stated in the official media, like how Yuri!!! on Ice did. Otherwise it's mostly fujoshi having their own headcanon and start to get into shipwars. To the point of bashing the author himself, like what happened with Tokyo Ghoul.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

Yes. This. I can hardly enjoy shonen series (or any series that involves a lot of (beautiful) men) these days because of the fujoshi pandering the couples that have never been and never will be. A lot of characters in shounen genre series are mostly engaged in bromance and pure friendship, and yet each episode/chapter, a lot of toxic fujoshi translate it at something else, something romance and gay in their head.

I'm fine if it's canonically stated in the official media, like how Yuri!!! on Ice did. Otherwise it's mostly fujoshi having their own headcanon and start to get into shipwars. To the point of bashing the author himself, like what happened with Tokyo Ghoul.

People will see what they want to see in media, even if evidence tells them otherwise like a character flat out saying they're not gay or transgendered. Keep in mind anime is a 'nerd' hobby. A lot of those people are probably socially ostrisized so they project on fictional characters, or they lack the social etiquette to engage in rational discussion and thinking, or don't have much experience in social situations so they think two people hugging or being friendly is a sign of non-platonic romance. I don't think it's fair to blame a show for a fanbase, though, unless the creator themselves encourages bad behavior.

-Stuart Smith
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
I feel like since YOI thisnshipping thing has gotten a million times worse. And why must everyone assume that any time two same-sex characters interacts it has to be gay?? Can we stop with all that nonsense?? This is what annoys me. Nowadays it's either a character HAS to be gay or it's not good. Like, seriously?? It annoys me so much because now everyone js like, "oh, are they gay?? It"ll be great to see a non fetish-like relationship". That pisses me off so much. Like stop pushing your ideals onto characters who aren't like that!! Not every character has to be gay!! I have nothing against gay characters because i love yaoi and all, but people need to control themselves.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I feel like since YOI thisnshipping thing has gotten a million times worse. And why must everyone assume that any time two same-sex characters interacts it has to be gay?? Can we stop with all that nonsense?? This is what annoys me. Nowadays it's either a character HAS to be gay or it's not good. Like, seriously?? It annoys me so much because now everyone js like, "oh, are they gay?? It"ll be great to see a non fetish-like relationship". That pisses me off so much. Like stop pushing your ideals onto characters who aren't like that!! Not every character has to be gay!! I have nothing against gay characters because i love yaoi and all, but people need to control themselves.

I have to agree. YOI was rather blatant about it being a same sex realationship and that’s a good thing. Insisting something heterosexual is homophobic by virtue of being heterosexual on the other hand is ridiculous. 90% of the world is homophobic by that definition. Yes I’m looking at you, idiots who harass creators.

Also if you use the terms “het and boring” or “the straights” un-ironically, you are a complete idiot. A complete idiot whose opinion is not worth the effort it takes to type it out.
otagirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

I just assume everyone is pansexual, because I see no reason why they shouldn't be. (I'm pansexual and I always thought the "liking only one or the other" thing was ridiculous. Not being genderfluid/agender also makes no sense to me... gender in general is just an illusion that humanity needs to outgrow, but anyway...)

That's ridiculous.
Im Asexual but I dont go assuming all characters and people are just because I am.
Saying other peoples sexual preferences to specific genders are an illusion is extremely insulting. Thats to say the vast majority of intelligent grown adults in the world SHOULD be pansexual because you think so.
That's nothing more than childish wishful thinking on your part.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
And apparently characters can’t be bisexual either.

If the author's intent was to depict a bisexual character, that would be nice. Unfortunately I mostly see people throwing that term around as a desperate attempt to justify a same-sex-ship despite evidence to the contrary.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
If you tell the fangirls to pipe down, men would approach yaoi (at least the non-sexual type) a lot more, that's 50% of the problem. Remember this is a non-issue with yuri and most of us aren't homophobes. However, there's another thing turning men off, it's just too rapey at times in non-hentai works, again, this is not much of an issue with yuri, is it that hard to make a sweet love story like yuri just with the genders reversed and have it sell.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
is it that hard to make a sweet love story like yuri just with the genders reversed and have it sell.

Try the Kono Danshi series (This Boy Can Fight Aliens!, This Boy Caught a Merman, This Boy Suffers From Crystalization, This Boy is Called a Scoundrel, This Boy is a Professional Wizard), or Buddha Watches Too, the yaoi spinoff about the younger brother of Maria Watches Over Us' protagonist.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
is it that hard to make a sweet love story like yuri just with the genders reversed and have it sell.

uh. Majority of BL stories that runs in magazines are just like that, sweet love story. Most non-hentai bl stories that got adapted into anime are also like that.

Dokyuusei/Classmate is probably the finest example of bl that have quality and popularity, I reccomended it, it's not that long either since it's a movie.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

So, delusional fanboys who claim female characters are gay when canon has made it quite obvious that they are straight get a free pass?

No, they don't.

I hate subtext and I can't f**king stand it when creators have to resort to bait and switch tactics to get yuri fans to watch their stuff. Such a cheap way to get success.
Nanoha, Love Live, Symphogear, Saki, and Sound Emporium come to mind.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Down a notch please, guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7