• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Developers: Steam No Longer Allows Links to Uncensor Patches for Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
good thing I already have that mod for deep space waifu
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:
So steam puts in effort to do stuff like this, yet still can't be assed to do any serious moderation on the unending torrent of shit assetflip games swamping the store.

You do know Valve just culled like 500 such games a couple weeks ago right?

I think most of those were from one developer, though.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
George Carlin said it best.
Now that I've made my point, consider DRM-free alternatives and stop feeding Valve. I've stopped buying games from them since '09 and haven't felt the difference.

What exactly would DRM free games have to do with a FORUM ban for developers to post links to specific content? This in no way affects the actual game or access to it.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Showing sex is forbidden, but mass murder and beating down hookers with a baseball bat is fine? Damn that is a fucked-up policy going on there.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Steam just gets dumber and dumber the bigger it gets.

Meh, I don't mean to troll, but when I used Steam ten years ago, it was a steaming pile of shit and makes EA's Origin today look bulletproof. After changing their business model of making amazing titles to becoming the Micro$oft of video game content delivery, I'm not surprised Valve went ahead and pulled another dick move.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Steam's double standards, which are actually those of U.S. society, strike back once again. You can be as violent, gross and gory as you want, but please don't include any sexual content. Can't say this is surprising.

It's not at all an American double standard. The issue facing America is that you have a very broad population with a vast amount of diversity within the country's morals and values. You have a far right side who hate anything to do with sex and violence, and you have a far left side with a meh attitude, both constantly fighting out for their own moral high roads.

While the law has not budged on the decency standards (ie sex), violence has never fallen under that clause. For ever right-winger who screams, "wont somebody think of the children" when someone drops the F-bomb on TV before showing a bare ass, you'll have a similar right winger just as outraged that CSI shows a dozen people get blown away in a simulated mass-shooting. Flip the coin and the left-wingers are just as outraged that Law & Order SVU didn't show a 14 year old ganged raped by seven men wearing ski masks before getting her head blown away.

It's not a double standard, if's just that there is no consensus to what is acceptable for a modern society.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Well, that sucks for folks who find these games via steam, but other than that, I don't see how it affects much. The patches will still be available and usable; they just won't be listed with the product on steam's website - which does make sense if their official stance is that adult content like that is banned on steam (having a link to the patch just seems like a loophole at that point), but it also sounds like they're not quite consistent with what they do and don't allow, and it certainly comes across as a jerk move if they specifically stated that they allowed information on obtaining patches to be posted by the developer and then told them to remove the links a few months later.

Personally, I don't see much point in getting an eroge game from steam. Normally, they can be obtained from the English publisher of the game where the game will either be uncensored in the first place, or it will make it really obvious and easy how you get the patch to uncensor it if that's what you want. If there's someone releasing such games only via steam, then that's a bigger problem, but I don't know of any company translating eroge that does that.

Steam does tend to make stuff easy, but I really don't see much advantage to it if you can get a game DRM-free directly from the publisher - especially if the game has to be neutered to be on steam. I do have plenty of games from steam, but they're usually games that I can't get DRM-free elsewhere.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
It's not at all an American double standard. The issue facing America is that you have a very broad population with a vast amount of diversity within the country's morals and values. You have a far right side who hate anything to do with sex and violence, and you have a far left side with a meh attitude, both constantly fighting out for their own moral high roads.

While the law has not budged on the decency standards (ie sex), violence has never fallen under that clause. For ever right-winger who screams, "wont somebody think of the children" when someone drops the F-bomb on TV before showing a bare ass, you'll have a similar right winger just as outraged that CSI shows a dozen people get blown away in a simulated mass-shooting. Flip the coin and the left-wingers are just as outraged that Law & Order SVU didn't show a 14 year old ganged raped by seven men wearing ski masks before getting her head blown away.

It's not a double standard, if's just that there is no consensus to what is acceptable for a modern society.

You sort of contradict yourself, but you're right about the second part about polarized and ultimately political viewpoints rather than diversity.
Lord of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
And this is how you can tell when a platform has become too big for its own good: it starts attacking erotic content. Heaven forbid Little Timmy watching a pair of animated titties, a girl flashing her panties, or whatever.

It's time people stopped getting so squeamish when it comes to erotic or even violent content in games. This is fiction, and most people who play these games are very well aware that the contents aren't real. If you want to rate it 18+, that's fine, but that should be it. You may as well ban any erotic games completely then, even if they're censored to death (expect them to actually do this in the near future). The people who play those games usually do so explicitly because the game has that type of content in it, so why prevent them from doing that? Are they so afraid of making money?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
In the past that was true but today there is a growing puritanical movement against sexual media because religious fundamentalists consider it to be blasphemous while feminists consider it to be objectification. That has made eroge games an easy target since almost no major corporation will defend them given the current political climate.

Lord of Fire wrote:
You may as well ban any erotic games completely then, even if they're censored to death (expect them to actually do this in the near future).
I think that is what most people are expecting to see in a year or two since if Valve was this quick at changing their rules to forbid any mention of uncensored patches it likely won't be long before they stop selling even the censored games.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Steam does tend to make stuff easy, but I really don't see much advantage to it if you can get a game DRM-free directly from the publisher - especially if the game has to be neutered to be on steam. I do have plenty of games from steam, but they're usually games that I can't get DRM-free elsewhere.

There are major advantages for the publisher, in terms of sales numbers.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
This is pretty messed up.
I don't use steam for much, but there are titles that are only available on steam with no physical release.

Another reason why I try to stick with physical only releases.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
That's unfortunate. But that's okay, I can do it myself.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The issue isn't doing it yourself(these patches have always been outside the normal Steam channels); the issue is leaving people in the dark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3