• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Break-Up Goes South After Girlfriend Steals Over US$800 of Anime DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
You made my point. A book printed in 1700 is still readable today, a floppy disk made 20 years ago ? Not so much.

NOBODY buys a rare, EXPENSIVE first edition book from the 18th century to actually read it. It's a relic of a bygone era. IF someone will one day pay a lot for a DVD in 200+ years, it'll largely be for the same reason. If millions of people seal their DVD sets in controlled environments, they'll NEVER be extra "valuable" simply because they won't be "rare" (or "hard to find") and thus if someone wants to buy one the standard rules of "supply & demand" will keep costs low. But if somehow there's only like 100 DVDs in the whole world in 2250, then some weird antiquities collector will pay big money for a DVD.
otagirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Now you know why they prefer 2d women.

I came here just to post this.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
Collectibles are really a tricky market. I've collected anime production artwork and autographs/sketches for years and if there's one thing that us collectors advise to others, it's to collect things because you enjoy them, not because you plan on funding your retirement with them. It's always difficult when you see collectors who bought cels or other production artwork from a series during the height of its popularity hope to get what they originally paid for the item, only to be told that no one really collects from that series anymore, and it's worth a small fraction of what they paid.

I wonder if the man is taking into account the sentimental value of these items when he factors in the price he wants for these goods.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

NOBODY buys a rare, EXPENSIVE first edition book from the 18th century to actually read it. It's a relic of a bygone era.

Says who ? You ? People do actually buy these books to read them (it's part of the pleasure of owning them) and also collect.

Quote:

IF someone will one day pay a lot for a DVD in 200+ years, it'll largely be for the same reason. If millions of people seal their DVD sets in controlled environments, they'll NEVER be extra "valuable" simply because they won't be "rare" (or "hard to find") and thus if someone wants to buy one the standard rules of "supply & demand" will keep costs low. But if somehow there's only like 100 DVDs in the whole world in 2250, then some weird antiquities collector will pay big money for a DVD.

Dvd won't be worth a dime (even nowadays they aren't worth much at all) for a couple of reasons. First very few dvd are actually rare as in one of a kind. Second, video quality. of dvds are low resolution in an era where the minimum is blu-ray and now 4k. 50 inches tv screens don't display dvds well at all. Third, dvd players. Tecnological obsolesence is a reality, you don't have tecnological obsolesence in the print industry (well until they start making self destructing books).

Just to make the argument clear as crystal : How much is the rarest of VHS worth ? I'm talking about a film/ova/ that has NEVER EVER been ported to dvd let alone Blu-ray but exists in VHS. The same thing will happen (is happening) to dvds and Blu-rays. Speculation in these markets is stupid because in the long term it simply doesn't work.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Says who ? You ? People do actually buy these books to read them (it's part of the pleasure of owning them) and also collect.

If you actually want to READ the book, WHY would you buy an EXPENSIVE first edition for $100k+ when you can just buy a reprint/reproduction for a fraction of pennies on the dollar. If we're talking the difference between a $100 first edition from 1960 and a $5 2017 printing, then MAYBE, but if you're talking something HUNDREDS of years old, that is very possibly going to BREAK if you don't handle it very carefully, WHY would you read that?
Quote:
Just to make the argument clear as crystal : How much is the rarest of VHS worth ? I'm talking about a film/ova/ that has NEVER EVER been ported to dvd let alone Blu-ray but exists in VHS. The same thing will happen (is happening) to dvds and Blu-rays. Speculation in these markets is stupid because in the long term it simply doesn't work.

How old is VHS? 40 years? 50 years? How long has it been "obsolete"? 20? I agree that speculating on DVD prices or buying them as an investment is DUMB. Buying ANY consumable media as an investment is dumb. There are comics worth millions, but if you buy one today hoping to one day sell it for that you're stupid. Things become rare BECAUSE the consumers are not careful with them. Those original Action Comics are notable because who was saving those back in the 30s? No one. You won't see a comic from the 90s sell like that BECAUSE people are sealing them in plastic bags hoping to protect their "investment". In the late 90s Marvel put out like 5 variants of Spiderman #1, the most valued originally was the one that they only printed like 100 copies of, but the SECOND most valued was the "common" newsstand variant because most "collectors" ignored it in favor of the mid-tier "special" editions, which anyone could easily find 6 months later.

A film reel for a Charlie Chaplin movie sold for over $100k a few years back. How many people have a working film projector nowadays? (more than zero, but they're nowhere near ubiquitous) There's no real comparison for today's media because video itself is only around 100 years old. Even audio recordings don't go back THAT far. If something gets old enough, it takes on a value simply for having SURVIVED that long. But expecting to make money on TODAY's media in that way is stupid because 99.99% of the time you won't live LONG ENOUGH to see the items become rare enough to matter.

EDIT: you're also unlikely to see any anime (on ANY medium) released in America appreciate much because of the combination of collectors' market similar to comics and American companies trying to maximize profits through volume. Considering how many reprints the popular titles (like Bebop, DBZ & Evangelion) have gotten, there's no reason anyone would pay a premium to acquire them.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
This is worse than the 40 year old virgin. Do you know how hard it is to get those once in a a lifetime figures???

But I blame the guy for hooking up with what he might have perceived as an honest person. I'm sorry if you're one of the type that is into your hobby and it means that much to you, DON'T get HOOKED up with someone who might screw you over. If at all.

If this was me I would be pissed. But my collection doesn't mean as much to me if it had been destroyed in a fire. Still would hurt like hell. But these are material things. You have and enjoy them today, but there will come a time where it won't matter.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

But I blame the guy for hooking up with what he might have perceived as an honest person. I'm sorry if you're one of the type that is into your hobby and it means that much to you, DON'T get HOOKED up with someone who might screw you over. If at all.

To blame the victim is poor taste. I mean you can't just look into the future and figure out wether your sweet half will backstab you on a whim months or years down the road.

Quote:

If this was me I would be pissed. But my collection doesn't mean as much to me if it had been destroyed in a fire. Still would hurt like hell. But these are material things. You have and enjoy them today, but there will come a time where it won't matter.

All the dvds/blu-rays that I own are opened because I don't speculate on these trivial things and never resell what I own. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be sad if someone stole them. some of these films are my favorites and yeah losing them would be a sentimental blow.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I'm not saying this as "yay Japan" or even "there is NO crime in Japan", but it really is MUCH more rare then here. You can quite literally leave possessions laying out in public for a while and most of the time come back and find it where you left it. I've been to numerous stores in Akihabara and Ikebukuro where you COULD just take various anime toys and thrust them in your pockets in a crowded aisle and probably not be noticed (not sure if they actually have good camera coverage). As for how accessible most disks are? You can grab them just like you would at a store like Barnes & Noble or Target here.

You're right, there seems to be places where people simply don't steal.

The other day, I was at a pizza place where if you order online, they put it onto a rack in the corner, away from the view of anyone in the kitchen or of the cashier on duty. When they finish making the online order, the employee walks out of the kitchen, puts it on that rack, and goes back in. That is, it's completely unsupervised and unchecked. Any random person could just walk in, grab the food, and leave. As long as you didn't look suspicious, no one would be the wiser. But the fact that they're doing that means they haven't yet had a problem with it, because if they did, they would've switched to something more secure.

Every other pizza place I've been to, at minimum, had online orders behind the counter, and the customer has to speak to an employee first. Many years ago, I went to a video rental store in an area with a lot of shoplifting. To start a subscription there, you not only needed proof of identity, they also required proof of residence, as they said they had problems in the past where people put bogus information about themselves so they could permanently rent things and the rental store couldn't catch them.

Me, if I were running a store, I would NEVER be comfortable putting something as expensive and small as Japanese anime home video out in the open. I've seen enough shoplifting, kleptomania, and other random theft with my own two eyes to never let my guard down around valuables I have out in public. I do hope those stores in Akihabara and Ikebukuro have some form of hidden security. Otherwise, since they apparently have so little crime, that'll be like shooting fish in a barrel for some crook looking to take advantage of naïve shopkeepers.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
If you actually want to READ the book, WHY would you buy an EXPENSIVE first edition for $100k+ when you can just buy a reprint/reproduction for a fraction of pennies on the dollar. If we're talking the difference between a $100 first edition from 1960 and a $5 2017 printing, then MAYBE, but if you're talking something HUNDREDS of years old, that is very possibly going to BREAK if you don't handle it very carefully, WHY would you read that?
If you pay that much just to own something, you're doing it because you want it. If you're the type that puts things he wants behind glass panels and admires them while whispering "my precious", so be it. Some people enjoy things they want differently, sometimes including ways that involve touching it. It's the same way that people who buy Stradivariuses inevitably play them(except that one guy who destroyed his because PayPal doesn't know how to handle suspect antiques).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3