• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BEATLESS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
A lot more characters and stuff to think about in this one. I thought this series was going to be just another "boy meets girl-bot that just wants to make him happy" show after I saw the first couple of eps, but now I hope it will get a serious plot and go somewhere with it. Fingers crossed and all that.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Uh yea ANN reported weeks ago that this first cour has at least 2 recap episodes, last weeks and one on March 23. Wink

BEATLESS definitely has depth but as yet I can't pin down where it's really going or what it will ultimately end up saying.

Also I was wondering which of Yuka's friends would end up having a secret crush on Arato and turns out it was Shiori. Lol
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
A lot more characters and stuff to think about in this one. I thought this series was going to be just another "boy meets girl-bot that just wants to make him happy" show after I saw the first couple of eps, but now I hope it will get a serious plot and go somewhere with it. Fingers crossed and all that.

It kinda has that boy meets love doll style.

It's nice they are trying to give it this meaty backstory. However, it feels very messy. They are trying to put together too many things at once with next to no lead up.

Here is why Chobits worked...because it spent plenty of time developing itself. You got time to really flesh out characters and let the story progress naturally and at a good pace. Beatless doesn't do that. You get next to no time before you are suddenly wrapped up in some political intrigue and battling HIEs.

Lacia has no real personality. What she is, is the personification of everything the two children want that is missing in that home. A maid, a parent, and for the boy...something to explore his puberty with. They cast her as the personification of all these things with no personality at all. Her only existence is to do those things.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Lacia has no real personality. What she is, is the personification of everything the two children want that is missing in that home. A maid, a parent, and for the boy...something to explore his puberty with. They cast her as the personification of all these things with no personality at all. Her only existence is to do those things.

That's exactly the point of the series, though: that's what hIEs are meant to be. Arato is the one pushing to see them as something beyond that, while the other Lacia-class models so far have shown more independent behavior. One of the big questions the series is posing is when or if Lacia will also break free and start exhibiting a more independent identity herself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
Really pleased with episode 8. It did a lot of stuff right, and for the first time, I really saw the potential for Beatless to be something more than just a "decent" series. Interested to see if it can develop off of that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Her refusal to be the one making decisions also appears more like passing responsibility than following programming.

How so? Isn't passing responsibility on to the owner basic programming for all hIE's? Though it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the Lacia class did not have that programming, but are merely pretending to. As you noted, they all display a lot of autonomy beyond previous models. I think they were designed to be combat units and didn't like that idea, so they escaped.

What was up with the directive about not revealing Shiori as Methode's owner, then the first thing Shiori does is reveal she's Methode's owner? oO
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I think the directive is specifically so that Methode doesn't have to reveal it to her other owner, not that no one can know in general.
HannoX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Methode wanting Shiori to die and standing by as the flames threaten her means someone forgot to program hIEs with Asimov's Second Law of Robotics. That is a MAJOR oversight.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, it seems like the Second Law often is what leads the AI to rebel and take over in the first place. Friday's XKCD comic seems super relevant to this show:

I'm not super clear on how Methode benefits from Shiori's left-over orders, but then again, I guess the idea is that Methode is smarter than me.
HannoX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
But the First Law is that a robot (hIE) will not harm a human and the Second Law is that a robot will not allow a human to come to harm through inaction. Methode is violating both when it comes to allowing Shiori to burn since she set that up.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Apparently this universe hasn't heard of Asimov, resulting in a better story IMO.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm not super clear on how Methode benefits from Shiori's left-over orders, but then again, I guess the idea is that Methode is smarter than me.

Theron wrote:
If Shiori dies, her last orders will remain in effect, which gives Methode a means to resist Watarai's orders when she doesn't like them.

How? I don't get it either. I think I could get it, if I tried, but this series is just not making me want to try that hard. I don't know why, but it's yet another series I enjoy while I'm watching, but await the next episode with dread rather than anticipation. I breathed an involuntary sigh of relief when I realized next week was a recap. If this is 2 cour, then I may not make it to the end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
So, finally caught up with this series as it's been on the back burner for a while, i've got a number of questions

1. Why is everyone so caught up with certain legalities like registration and ownership rights when all parties seem to be involved in sabotage, murder, terrorism etc. It seems backwards to be following some laws while completely ignoring others. Lacia said that Arato would be responsible for any orders he gives her, but given all the property destruction, hacking, trespassing and other laws they've already broken, when exactly is he supposed to be charged for all of that?

2. Couldn't have Shiori ordered Methode to save her and protect her? hIE's still need to follow their owners orders, right? Methode sort of got around the "hIEs can't kill their owners" by putting her in a position where she could get killed and then not saving her, but if Shiori simply ordered her to save her is there a reason it wouldn't have worked? They were in clear communication with each other and there should not have been any standing orders or rules to get in the way of that.

3. I don't understand Arato's mind set. He knows Lacia is a red box now, she's very important to a powerful company and that lots of dangerous people are going to be coming after her, yet he's still stuck on keeping her around. He was also worried about the hIE that they were going to erase the registration number for, but doesn't seem all that worried about all the random people that are getting caught up in the fights he gets himself involved in. His friends and family could get caught up in the conflicts he's going to continue to get into but I guess that's fine so long as he gets to hold onto Lacia? As far as I'm concerned his priorities are completely messed up.

I actually do hope that Lacia is actually just using Arato to accomplish some hidden objective of her own, or maybe just her original objective which is to survive.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
Probably some of the worst character designs in awhile.

Not to mention...oh btw, the next friend of the week is going to stab you in the back because they are brats who are children of competitors that want your special love doll. Oh but don't worry, they'll fail so you can continue refusing to admit your brat of a sister has turned you off from human females for all time.

Can't wait till next week when the author creates another massive subplot that we are assumed to know about yet have had no lead up to.

If anything, Beatless is a lesson on what not to do. It tries to be too many different genres and doesn't do any of them very good.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
^Ryou doesn’t trust the robots and wants to extricate Arato from the situation, and he is doing so in cooperation with Watarai who isn’t his father. Kengo dislikes the robots and wanted to destroy them. Only Shiori wanted to acquire Lacia, so I don’t see where you’re getting them only turning on him because their parents want to acquire Lacia. In Kengo’s case I wouldn’t even say he stabbed Arato in the back so much as Arato (rightfully) interfering with him going down a dangerous path.

Second, where are you getting any indication he has no interest in human females? He seems to be primarily interested in Lacia for her seeming humanity and not her robotic nature.

Third, what other genres are you talking about? Everything Beatless has done fits into the Sci Fi genre.

There are plenty of criticisms you can make of the show, but I’m not sure that what you mentioned is any of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4