• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How Nerdy Is Your State? New Report Ranks America's Geekiest States

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
This is all really surprising. I'd have expected my home state (Texas) to be a pretty big anime hot spot, and California and New York not being very geeky in general completely baffles me.

I'm with you there. As others have said, this sounds more fun than factual. However, I completely agree with my state's rank. I see someone with an Attack on Titan backpack or Soul Eater keychain here and we both risk stalking charges. I also agree that the younger demographic would probably use general google searches to find broader content more than those of us who remember Turnpike.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm a bit confused...

Quote:
Which states have the most nerd-friendly retailer access? ...and West Coast, Best Coast's Washington state is third.

Quote:
Washington State has a similar problem (#38 in retailers vs #4 in geek interest).

So are we third or thirty-eighth in retailers?

(Also, wondering if anything in their metrics took into account Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon, and Funko all being local to the greater Seattle area?)

Sorry about that! I got my columns crossed. Washington is third for high-speed internet access, not retailer access. I've fixed it in the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I'd say that rather than the whitest, it's which state is the most open-minded and progressive. Most of the states that ranked low in this survey also happen to be the most religious ones.

Well, there is somewhat of that correlation as well, driven by blacks and Hispanics being more religious on average - but Asians tend to be less religious, which didn't help other states. New York and California are progressive, but not in the top 20 here, and have low percentage of whites. Also, Utah and Idaho ranked very high and have a lot of (almost all white) religious Mormons. Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming are all extremely white, and, even if not as religious, I wouldn't call progressive exactly.

In short, while there may be some small correlation there, it is definitely much much smaller than the correlation with percentage white, which predicts almost the entire list.

I wouldn't say y'all opinions are without merit, but considering I just so happen to be Mormon and live Idaho I'm not surprised that Idaho and Utah are in the top 10. I can't speak for all but I would say anime fans in those two states are more progressive including myself than most. I do know most Mormons also love their Star Wars and Marvel movies btw. We are very geeky. I can't really speak about the race biases in your statement because I'm white so I guess I match your hypothesis. Lol.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I’m surprised that Ohio is ranked at #13 because there’s nothing here but farmland and good clean county air which as you can guess does not make for very good internet connection hell the most nerdiest place around is the local GameStop for crying out loud next nerdiest is the flea market if you can believe that. Laughing

We must live in very different parts of Ohio, then, because it's all suburbs and retail where I live.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:

I wouldn't say y'all opinions are without merit, but considering I just so happen to be Mormon and live Idaho I'm not surprised that Idaho and Utah are in the top 10. I can't speak for all but I would say anime fans in those two states are more progressive including myself than most. I do know most Mormons also love their Star Wars and Marvel movies btw. We are very geeky. I can't really speak about the race biases in your statement because I'm white so I guess I match your hypothesis. Lol.

I have a friend who is mormon, lives in Utah, and is a big geek on many levels including anime/manga. So yea....you all might be drinking the same water heh.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I know plenty of nerds who are into Game of Thrones, but in addition to what Alan said about people into these sorts of interests not Googling things like "anime", I also am not really sure I can get behind what they consider "nerdy". Not trying to gatekeep or anything, if you want to call yourself a nerd and watch nothing but GoT, go for it, but I don't think the vast vast vast majority of Game of Thrones fans would identify as "nerds", or "nerdy". That's about on the same level of nerd as people who go to the theater for nothing but Summer Blockbusters. I think at some point you kind of lose what the word means, which usually contains a connotation of obsession, someone who pursues knowledge and learning, or as the dictionary kindly puts it, someone who lacks social skills and is devoted to a singular interest.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Not surprisingly, Minnesota is one of least geeky states.

How is that not surprising? *is also Minnesotan* I feel like there's a lot of geek culture around the Twin Cities. We don't have a ton going on event or retail-wise (mostly because companies tend to forget that the midwest exists outside of Chicago), but Anime Detour is the second biggest anime convention in the midwest, and we have a bunch of other anime and geek cons.

[Edit]: Okay, not second biggest in the midwest. But the biggest outside of Illinois.

For a number of reasons:

-It just isn't popular around where I am. There aren't any cons and I don't get many opportunities to talk with anyone about it.

-Nobody sells anime aside from 1 Best Buy with a tiny selection of ultra-mainstream titles. Most of what I want to own I have to shop online for.

-It's frequently the case whenever some anime movie comes to theaters Minnesota doesn't even get one theater showing it unless it's Ghibli or has a big franchise name attached like Dragonball Z. If it does get a theater it's usually in Minneapolis which is a long drive away from Duluth. Although, within the past couple years the local theater near me has been getting more of them. They played Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale and Bungou Stray Dogs: Dead Apple.
Aurasky

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, this looks to be more on par with the population density of the US. You can take this so many ways. Less populated areas, the more geeks, with Illinois and Ohio being the outliers. Smile

http://ontheworldmap.com/usa/usa-population-density-map.html
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
Rather than try to use "big data" to tell me who is nerdiest I use the conventions as a barometer because those are where people are invested enough in fandom to actually pay for it. Where was the first Star-Con, Comic-Con, (almost the first..) Anime-Con born and where do they continue to go on strong? California followed closely by New York although some might argue the reverse. Sorry Boston, your convention doesn't count apparently as even Vermont has you beat. So when this company's "big data" tells me that California and New York are "least geeky" and Ohio and Wyoming are among the "most geeky" I say they aren't credible. And "Ready Player One" doesn't count as geek cred for Ohio...
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
-It's frequently the case whenever some anime movie comes to theaters Minnesota doesn't even get one theater showing it unless it's Ghibli or has a big franchise name attached like Dragonball Z. If it does get a theater it's usually in Minneapolis which is a long drive away from Duluth. Although, within the past couple years the local theater near me has been getting more of them. They played Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale and Bungou Stray Dogs: Dead Apple.

Sore wa chigau yo!

Ahem *cough*

The Marcus in Oakdale has gotten almost every anime release in the last two years, and is one of the theaters that gets the Crunchyroll Presents Movie Nights movies. The Carmike/New Vision in Oakdale get all of Funimation's releases. The Lagoon in Minneapolis gets a lot of anime (as well as other smaller, indie releases). I agree that northern MN probably doesn't get much (once again, companies need to get their heads out of their asses and realize that people actually live in states that aren't either east coast or west coast), but the Twin Cities are a hub of geek culture. Heck, the Mall of America has an entire store devoted to anime (Eagle Anime) in addition to the Tomodochi store (which also has a branch in the Rosedale mall), which carries Japanese and Korean fandom merch. We actually get so much more than a lot of the states around us do.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Aurasky wrote:
Wow, this looks to be more on par with the population density of the US. You can take this so many ways. Less populated areas, the more geeks, with Illinois and Ohio being the outliers. Smile

http://ontheworldmap.com/usa/usa-population-density-map.html

Also, cultural diversity of population, such as upstate NY vs. NYC, or northern California vs. southern California.
Massachusetts one of the "less" geeky states? Ever been to Harvard Square?? (Home of one the east coast's only Anime Crash stores, back in the day when there were precious few of them.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Sore wa chigau yo!

Ahem *cough*

The Marcus in Oakdale has gotten almost every anime release in the last two years, and is one of the theaters that gets the Crunchyroll Presents Movie Nights movies. The Carmike/New Vision in Oakdale get all of Funimation's releases. The Lagoon in Minneapolis gets a lot of anime (as well as other smaller, indie releases). I agree that northern MN probably doesn't get much (once again, companies need to get their heads out of their asses and realize that people actually live in states that aren't either east coast or west coast), but the Twin Cities are a hub of geek culture. Heck, the Mall of America has an entire store devoted to anime (Eagle Anime) in addition to the Tomodochi store (which also has a branch in the Rosedale mall), which carries Japanese and Korean fandom merch. We actually get so much more than a lot of the states around us do.

I don't live in a place in the state that's nice and convenient like that. Both Oakdale and the twin cities are around 2 1/2 hours of driving away. It's such a long boring drive for movies I have no guarantee of actually even liking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3