• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Nonsensical Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Neko from K.

Yup, forgot to comment on those cat-girls! Bad on me...

My #1 would be Neko from K. She's adorably HOT. And I love that show...like a lot...
#2 would be Aisha Clan-Clan from Outlaw Star. Love her and her crazy antics.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
And my vote goes to Catgirl Not Appearing on This List, Natsuki Sasahara the catgirl cop from Hyper Police.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
I can't believe Pumpkin Scissors isn't on the list. I thought that would be the top spot..

Reliability aside, its Wikipedia page says:
Quote:
The name for the group was an idea from one of its officers, the 2nd Lieutenant Alice L. Malvin. According to her, in their war relief effort, they must "face the threat of corrupt people who protect themselves behind lies, power, and money like the rind of a pumpkin", and Section III must act like a pair of scissors cutting through those layers and delivering justice for the people. This is a constant message which ripples throughout the series. The unit is, however, berated constantly, considered a propaganda tool used by the government, and is seen as an insult to the war relief effort by many within the army, as well as the Empire's citizens. Randel Oland, a veteran soldier with a mysterious past, joins their ranks and steadily the Pumpkin Scissors unit begins to be taken more seriously as the plot begins to unravel.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote
I never really liked the Japanese concept of catgirls because they almost always just go halfway (or less than that). That's why I added Clawdia from Fighting Foodons to the list--it's one of the rare instances of them actually going full anthro (though I did notice a couple of them already on the list, but for whatever reason, I always liked Clawdia's character design more.)

ThatMoonGuy wrote:
I could tell Fate/Stay Night would be there even before I read the list. Nasu has a penchant for nonsensical western names for everything, like naming your fighting game "Melty Blood".

For some reason, I always think of the Japanese chocolate bar Melty Blend instead. Those are pretty good, but they're expensive.

Gemnist wrote:
Baccano is actually the Italian word for "ruckus", in reference to how chaotic the events of the series can get. Durarara has no meaning, though.

Huh, I always thought that "Durarara" or "DRRR!!" was Narita's idea of an onomatopoeia for the rumbling of a motorcycle engine, based on the fact that Celty, the central character, rides one. (Looks like there's been a lot of different explanations for this one though.)

Zeino wrote:
No mention of the up coming anime film hilariously titled, "I Want to Eat Your Panaceas"?

Oh geez, I thought that said "I Want to Eat Your Pancreas."
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

ThatMoonGuy wrote:
I could tell Fate/Stay Night would be there even before I read the list. Nasu has a penchant for nonsensical western names for everything, like naming your fighting game "Melty Blood".

For some reason, I always think of the Japanese chocolate bar Melty Blend instead. Those are pretty good, but they're expensive.

...where do you buy those? I love them but can never find them.

Anyway, back on topic. Yeah, I agree that most of the titles on this list...actually make sense. When I saw the thumbnail, I immediately thought that I was pretty sure Caligula's title had been explained in an ANN article. I'll give you the Symphogear subtitles, though. Those always kind of make me cringe.

I voted for Ichigo on the poll, for obvious reasons. I might not even be on the site right now if it weren't for picking up Tokyo Mew Mew years ago.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night has proven so successful, given the larger franchise it spawned, that people ceased to take issue with its phrasing long ago.

I can only wonder whether fans of Selector Infected WIXOSS wish that longevity would award their show some similar grace...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soval

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
As far as I know, Fate is the name of the franchise, with whatever comes after the dash being the title's specific name (Hollow Ataraxia, Strange Fake, etc.), with the further subtitle referring to the alternate specific routes for the several anime/manga/novel adaptations of the original game (UBW, Heaven's Feel).

"Fate" refers to how the events unfold, and how everything revolves around the fate of those characters throughout the story, that end up with their deaths or various scars, or situations they end up being thrown into. It's a recurring theme in the whole franchise now, but this was further accentuated by how the game involved routes, and how those routes sealed the fate of the characters, so it was a kind of play with the word and the game being a visual novel. Pretty obvious stuff if you ask me...
I think you are missing the point here. It's not that the names don't have some deeper meaning if you dive down into the lore or themes of the story, it's that that meaning is not immediately clear or it is confusing to those not intimately aware of those details.

In other words, no, it's not "obvious" unless you spend time decoding key story details that finally allow you to understand what the title really meant.

Myriad Colors Phantom World is a nonsensical string of words that requires those seeing it to know things about the characters and story for them to see that it isn't just some bad Engrish and does actually make some kind of sense.

And that applies to Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments Lain as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
...where do you buy those? I love them but can never find them.

I find them at Asian supermarkets. Japanese supermarkets carry them but they're rarer around where I live. Korean supermarkets like Galleria or H-Mart are more common but are likely to stock them (alongside the Apollo chocolates), so if I get any, I get them from there. 99 Ranch sometimes has them, sometimes don't. And the Filipino supermarkets, like Seafood City and Island Pacific, never have them.

Zin5ki wrote:
I can only wonder whether fans of Selector Infected WIXOSS wish that longevity would award their show some similar grace...

Clearly, potential viewers were turned away when they realized "WIXOSS" sounds awfully like "weak-sauce" and afraid they were going to be selected to get infected with it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that this article has a poll about catgirls, just like the last one. I don't think all the ones from that poll were listed this time around, so it'll be interesting to see how drastically different this one ends up(speaking of adding, why has nobody added Cinnamon yet? Just not waifu material?).
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Or Aika R-16: Virgin Mission. That sounds like a sex pose.
It might be an odd choice of word, but it makes sense: it's her first mission.
GetMagnaCarter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
so "the Big O" is not about Roy Orbison? Confused

and my favourite cat girl was Ryukia of Armored Dragon Legend Villgust
(reminds me of a real cat I knew...)
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Zeino wrote:
No mention of the up coming anime film hilariously titled, "I Want to Eat Your Panaceas"?

Oh geez, I thought that said "I Want to Eat Your Pancreas."

lol, I thought it was 'Pancreas' too until you mentioned this! Welp, I need better glasses. Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

...wow...it really is...pancreas...?!

lol!

Just...lol...I can't even right now. I will need to watch this once it becomes available, cause wtf anime. Laughing Although...it does seem like it might be a tearjerker from the description of it...welp, I'll just have to find out.

Thanks for clearing this up for us Polycell!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Eris needs more love, and Cat Planet Cuties needs to be taken a little more seriously..... Goddamn English title. I rarely complain about English titles, but I always complain about that one.

...athough I see she get enough love that someone put her on the list a second time since I vote.
Erisu/Eris... please combine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Ergo Proxy isn't on this list. Even Dai Sato himself admitted that he chose the name because, "It's cool".

The anime itself is cool so this is completely okay but yeah. :V
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4