• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Grand Order Smartphone Game Gets Both TV Anime, Anime Film Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't see the trailer so here it is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qciefd-q5U
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
To everyone whining that the "hype is gone" because Ufotable isn't animating these, you are being ridiculous, Uoftable still has two Heaven's Feel movies and Today's Menu with the Emiya Family, you can't expect them to do two movies and TV anime on top of that too!
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
FlareKnight wrote:
But the bigger issue is just picking two late singularities. Effectively killing any hope of actually adapting the FGO story as a whole. Yeah they are covering two of the better arcs, but also skipping most of the story. That's like a LN adaptation saying "we're just covering Volume 3."

An OVA for the start of that game made sense. You can still easily build off that for a full blown series. Instead you go from the prologue...to the end game! Oh well it's some cheap advertisement for the game which I suppose is the only point.

I don't know that going to two later singularities in the first arc is that comparable to skipping volumes in a manga or LN. Much of the plot of the earlier singularities is largely self contained beyond the overall mission established in the prologue/OVA, so while I would have liked to have seen the whole thing animated, I don't know that they will be incomprehensible to anime only fans. Skipping over spoiler[London] would be more of a challenge, but it could be done with flashbacks. If I would compare it to something, it would be more like skipping over the more episodic chapters/episodes of Detective Conan and getting to the ones more focused on the overarching plot. I don't know that that is the best way to experience those stories, but it is possible to do so while still understanding what is going on. Though Camelot would likely have to come out first for it to be plausible to work for anime only fans.

That being said, it seems to me that the adaptations are less an advertisement for the game than a chance for the players to see their favorite parts of the game in animated form, which doesn't sound so bad to me.

It is still comparable.Skipping Rome an America is one thing, nothing really happens there even though Rome would make a nice OVA for Nero after the debacle of Last Encore. But the story actually starts in London. London should have been the first one they did, even if it was a couple episode OVA, it is where the real story starts and without it people who have not played the game are going to be a little lost. Personally I would like a short couple of episode adaption of London (not just because Mordred is everywhere but because it just makes sense) and then Camelot and Babylonia. Starting with London would mean people know what is going on and the reactions that certain characters offer through Camelot.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I shouldn't have put it in spoilers, but I did think that London could be a challenge to skip. At least one episode would be good, but I think even part of one could help. I agree that the pertinent events to the overall plot in that singularity would need to be covered in some form to be plausible for anime only viewers,
Airiiin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Pretty excited about this. The Ufotable FSN adaptations, 3rei, Emiya-sanchi and Fate/Extra were really good shows, let's hope these FGO adaptations are more similar to those shows and less like Apocrypha.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Airiiin wrote:
Pretty excited about this. The Ufotable FSN adaptations, 3rei, Emiya-sanchi and Fate/Extra were really good shows, let's hope these FGO adaptations are more similar to those shows and less like Apocrypha.

Seeing someone else mention Prisma Illya 3rei as one of the good Fate series makes me so happy. 3rei is pretty much my favorite Fate ever (Prisma as a whole I like a lot) especially with all the crazy awesome stuff that happens in the manga.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been hoping that there would eventually be a TV series that would cover all the singularities. Well, I got one at least.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
Kudos to anime adaptations for Grand Order, but when is ANN gonna learn that posting region-locked videos is pointless for those who don't reside in said region? So stupid.

The video that we originally embedded in this article was a region-free reupload by a reader. We linked to the region-locked videos as a source, and warned they were region-locked, but the video we embedded was a region-free one.

Unfortunately, that region-free reupload was later removed after we posted this article, so I've now edited the article to just embed in the original videos, with a clear warning that they're region-locked to Japan.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that we regularly post region-locked videos. We never post region-locked videos unless we can help it like for Aniplex of America and Funimation videos region-locked to the US. For videos that are region-locked to Japan, we will usually never embed them, but we will link to them as an official source, warn that the video in the link is region locked, and then embed a region-free reupload instead.

Sometimes we'll post videos region-locked to Japan by accident, because several of our staff, including myself, live in Japan and don't realize that while we can see the videos, others might not.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Camelot I can sorta figure. Hopefully they'll do Serenity Hassan well. But Babylonia, no idea. Isn't launched yet in the western market.

Always kinda partial to the Jeanne Alter story. Which was made a bit more interesting when you get her and do her interlude/etc.

Rome was kind of absurd.

The Drake one had it's moments but I don't think the authors did much of any study on the pirates they are using. Which was the most disappointing part. So much potential and they squander it.

London...huh? So forgettable.

American one...you could tell it was written by someone who has never traveled outside Japan and has no concept of how big the US is or how diverse the climate is. They really should have localized the conflict more if they wanted to cheap out on drawing more BGs for the story.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
#879773 wrote:
Kudos to anime adaptations for Grand Order, but when is ANN gonna learn that posting region-locked videos is pointless for those who don't reside in said region? So stupid.

The video that we originally embedded in this article was a region-free reupload by a reader. We linked to the region-locked videos as a source, and warned they were region-locked, but the video we embedded was a region-free one.

Unfortunately, that region-free reupload was later taken down after we posted this article, so I've now edited the article to just embed in the original videos, with a clear warning that they're region-locked to Japan.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that we regularly post region-locked videos. We never post region-locked videos unless we can help it like for Aniplex of America and Funimation videos region-locked to the US. For videos that are region-locked to Japan, we will usually never embed them, but we will link to them as an official source, warn that the video in the link is region locked, and then embed a region-free reupload instead.

Sometimes we'll post videos region-locked to Japan by accident, because several of our staff, including myself, live in Japan and don't realize that while we can see the videos, others might not.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Have you guys complaining about skipping London played through Babylonia? I'm just legitimately curious because I don't see any issue really. The character you're referencing in London has no real part in Babylonia. There is no reason they would need to go into specifics. Same thing with Camelot. There are some brief references to what happened in London, but they can leave that part out entirely changing nothing. London would only matter if they wanted to animate the final singularity of part 1

As for skipping the earlier singularities, they really don't have much of a compelling story to adapt. I'm not saying there weren't good parts, but there just isn't enough total content in there. Those story chapters were full of ridiculous padding where characters just talk for a bit and are randomly attacked during a conversation.

Now sure, whoever is making the anime could fluff out a more grand adventure, but would you trust them to make quality original content? They'd also risk annoying the people who did like it a lot by changing things.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
I can only speak for myself, but since it hasn’t come out on the US version yet, I have not. Given what you have said, I guess skipping London wouldn’t be so bad for Babylonia (or Camelot) by themselves, but if they wanted to animate at least the parts pertinent to the overarching plot, it would be necessary, and for those who would like to see them animate as much of the game as they can, not including London could be cause for concern.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but since it hasn’t come out on the US version yet, I have not. Given what you have said, I guess skipping London wouldn’t be so bad for Babylonia (or Camelot) by themselves, but if they wanted to animate at least the parts pertinent to the overarching plot, it would be necessary, and for those who would like to see them animate as much of the game as they can, not including London could be cause for concern.

I'm not sure that is ever going to be in the cards. They've been incredibly sensitive to anything spoiling the conclusion of the main story to the point where they will lock players out of events which is incredibly detrimental to newer players who likely haven't finished the story.

To have a cohesive story, they'd need more than London anyway. First Order leaves off on a sort of cliffhanger with Lef.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
How many visual novel/mobile games are left until they have adapted all of such games in the Fate/ franchise?
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
How many visual novel/mobile games are left until they have adapted all of such games in the Fate/ franchise?

From VN medium only Ataraxia, probably. And FGO is the only Fate-based mobage. But there are at least 3 more light novel series worth the adaptation and a couple of mangas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4