• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Karakuri Circus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This turn is especially odd because Shirogane getting injured was such a critical plot point back at the Karakuri Castle – it was specifically why Narumi “died” in the fire protecting Masaru, yet her having Aqua Vitae in her blood would suggest that this situation was completely contrived.

The only way out of this I can think of is that it takes a little time for her to heal major injuries (which she can battle through if Masaru's life is in immediate danger from an attacker), and since Masaru had already fallen, her injuries to her legs would be a liability she couldn't overcome in time? Narumi seemed to have it under control, so sending her off would free up the zip line for when he and Masaru got back, which they never did. It's a stretch, for sure.

She seemed to think that if Masaru licked her blood, he'd acquire her healing abilities. Did he? It wasn't clear if he did or not. He agreed to do it and then tabled the idea for the moment, so there was time between scenes for it to happen. I just don't know if it did. Maybe that's on purpose, though with all they're reportedly cutting out, maybe we're just supposed to assume he kept his word.

If it works as Shirogane expects, then I guess she and Narumi are just living Aqua Vitae factories, huh. Problem solved! (this is not the cue for manga readers to jump in and tell me I'm wrong. Thanks.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Until now, the manga chapters adapted are 1-30, 39, 98-102, 106-115
40-97 is one big cut, I wonder if they are trying to trim as much early on so they can adapt as much as possible in the future.
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

She seemed to think that if Masaru licked her blood, he'd acquire her healing abilities. Did he?

Manga spoilers from the material skipped:

spoiler[In the initial manga arc that introduces Guy, Lucille and the Aqua Vitae, Narumi saves a dying teacher by feeding her his now-shirogane blood. Also, by this point in the comic it had properly explained the shirogane and the origin of the Aqua Vitae, so you'd also know why Shirogane wouldn't want Masaru to drink her blood. Presumably we will get that explanation later in the anime.]
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Having no legal way to access the entirety of “Karakuri Circus'” manga, I cannot verify the veracity of claims I've seen online that the Karakuri Circus anime has reached in only seven episodes what the manga took around a hundred chapters to cover, but I would certainly believe it.

Quote:
I haven't had too many issues with the anime's compressed storytelling before, and while I understand how Karakuri Circus may feel less developed and satisfying to fans of the source material, I think the show is doing a solid job of adapting 43 volumes of manga into only 36 episodes, at least so far.

Quote:
I can't deny that these narrative shortcuts make me wonder how much more satisfying the more evenly-paced version of this tale must be.

You could have tried to see if anyone had translated the manga, but I understand if doing so would go against your principles. At least with you mentioning that it has saved me a bit of trouble of looking up whether the manga has been license and published here (in fact I was not even aware this show was a manga adaptation until I read your episode reviews).

With that said if those claims are true than that would be amazing. Shocked From watching seven episodes of this show so far I have not had an issue with the pacing of the story. It does not feel cram or rush to me at all, which is something I cannot say for a certain other anime adaptation I watch earlier this year. (Looking at you Record of Grancrest War. I have not read the original source material, but I have heard similar claims being made with that show, and with how the pacing of that adaptation went I can believe those claims). If the studio behind this anime can keep this up that would be fantastic. Anime smile

Furthermore, I feel the same way for the original manga. If/whenever we get around to reading Karakuri Circus manga it’s going to be a more refreshing experience in a way compared to when reading most other manga after watching their anime adaptations.

Quote:
We learn that Shirogane is also a wielder of the healing powers given by Aqua Vitae, which becomes apparent when she takes literally dozens of Vilma's knives to her body, including one that gets lodged at least five inches deep into her skull. Perhaps all the talk about Narumi becoming a little-“s” shirogane should have clued me into this already, but it seems like a sloppy way to introduce such a significant aspect of big-“S” Shirogane's character. This turn is especially odd because Shirogane getting injured was such a critical plot point back at the Karakuri Castle – it was specifically why Narumi “died” in the fire protecting Masaru, yet her having Aqua Vitae in her blood would suggest that this situation was completely contrived.

O-oh. . . Now that you mention that. . .ugh that is a bit frustrating. To think that would have been something important for Éléonore to capitalize on during that situation in the mansion. Anime hyper Narumi probably would not have lose his arm and be taken away. The only saving grace for this was that if that were to happen the children at the hospital would not have been saved (though Guy seemed to have been doing a good job holding them off before Narumi jumped in so I don’t know).

. . . . . . . . . . . .

There is something that has been on my mind since watching episode six that is puzzling. Guy told Narumi upon asking him where he was that he was in Illinois, U.S.A, yet the scenery looks nothing like Illinois at all (especially when we get to this one shot with the group of puppets heading towards the hospital) It looks more like he is somewhere in Western Region of the United States instead of being in Illinois (or anywhere in the Midwest). Is Guy just bad with geography? Well that was a joke question that was in my mind, but it's odd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Japanese representations of American geography often don't look like the originals. In Uchuu Kyoudai. Houston seems like a rather compact city with good public transit, but it's really a sprawling metropolis where cars are essential.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Too bad, when Lise started mentioning her background with her twin at the beginning, i was expecting them to do a half episode lenght flashback to adapt this short arc, it was among my favorite arc in the manga but seeing how much her parts changed drastically it's still not impossible for it to be adapted later.
ProlificSky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit dismayed that Lise's whole backstory was wrapped up in a single exchange of dialogue with Masaru. Not to mention they completely omitted the event that occurred with her and Masaru, that showed character growth for them both, as well an unexpected ferocity from Lise.

I do understand that compressing 43 volumes into 36 episodes is no easy feat, so I do hope that James is right in his assumption, that they're rushing through the first half or so of the series so that they can properly develop the latter half.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Japanese representations of American geography often don't look like the originals. In Uchuu Kyoudai. Houston seems like a rather compact city with good public transit, but it's really a sprawling metropolis where cars are essential.

I see. Being that I have not seen Space Brothers as well as never been to Houston I cannot fully picture what you describe as an example. I guess in that case I might give it a pass, but I do know know. I guess being that at least Houston is a city and that story depicted it as such it's okay. However the geography in that one episode of Karekua Circus was so drastic that it makes me wonder if the writer (or the studio behind this show as I have not read the manga so far) ever did a search online to get a sense of what the landscape of Illinois looks like (well more like the studio in this case since I learn this manga was made before the internet become more sophisticated). I am not expecting creators to get areas 100% correct (especially when they would most likely not have the means to travel and explore the places to do so in the case of writers/illustrators of books), but they should at least make areas look similar on a basic level (like in this case at least have the hospitable be in a grassland in the middle of no where).

Thanks for sharing this fact, Yuna

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So as I imply today I did a quick check online of Karakuri Circus to find the name of the person who wrote and illustrated the manga I learn that it was publish in 1997 meaning this manga is old. That would explain why I've been having these, I guess I would say, old fashion feels when watching this show a bit. Thinking about it it has to do with the character designs as they look like something that was more commonly seen in anime during the 1990s. Also am a bit surprise it took this long for this story to get a anime adaptation. I am wondering what this anime would look like if it was made during the 90s decade. I am also wondering of this story takes place during the 1990s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first third of this episode gives us one of the most glaring examples yet of Karakuri Circus stumbling over the amount of material it's had to adapt in only nine weeks. It's a hot mess of mashed-together plotlines and hastily assembled exposition, and while it is technically coherent enough to get us from Point A to Point J, it sure is hard to ignore that we're skipping too many letters in between.

I think I have notice this a bit with this episode as well. While it does a good enough job moving the story, I was getting the feeling we were missing some important parts. I was thinking at first if this had something to do with learning that this anime is an adaptation of a manga and that this show was skipping a lot material to cover only what is the most important plot-wise. That might be part of the reason (and with that a growing longing to give the original manga a try), but given what I read in your review it seems there is more to this feeling then just that.

Quote:
The episode begins by revealing that Guy, who's found battered but still breathing just outside Nakamachi Circus, is Shirogane's former teacher, the first person she remembers knowing and the one who brought her to be trained as the so-called "puppet who wields puppets".

And here I was suspecting Guy was Éléonore’s older brother (given they both have silver hair). This episode shows that I was wrong.

Quote:
Francine also happens to look identical to Shirogane, which works out just fine seeing as Bai Jin bears an eerie resemblance to Narumi. From here on out, it's pretty obvious where the story is going, but I happen to be a sucker for stories about reincarnation romance (you can blame Xenogears for that), so I was more than happy to watch these familiar-looking sweethearts fall in love. Even though they share our heroes' faces, they're incredibly different people – Bai Jin is much more inside his own head than Narumi, at least until he meets Francine, and Francine is a spirited vision of cheer and enthusiasm. Masaru and Shirogane's heartfelt exchange from the beginning of the episode does prime us for this unusual sight, though – our Éléonore could very well have been just as cheery if she hadn't had her entire childhood torn apart by a weird puppet cult.

Yeah! It looks like this story is heading in that direction. It’s enough that the ending theme song (which I really love by the way) shares this but now we got destiny romance in the works. Also, I can already imagine the mastermind behind this evil circus is going to turn out to be a reincarnation of Bai Yin. In fact I wonder if I should call it now.

Another thing it was nice to see a different side of Narumi and Éléonore (well at least in their past lives). Yes Éléonore might had been similar to Francine if things were different. Perhaps by the end this story she might become close to her past self given that she has been opening up more thanks to Masaru and her new family.
ProlificSky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey James, I just wanted to inform you that you got Yin and Jin mixed up in this week's episode review. Yin is the older brother that resembles Narumi that ends up proposing to Francine.

Also, for those on the fence about checking out the manga, I highly recommend it. There's so much characterization being skipped over.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
You probably gotta admire this show for its dedication to giving the viewers 100% in-your-face non-stop melodrama, but it's almost starting to feel like a parody of a drama to me now...Francine is not just a good person, no, she's a flawless saint who would put Mother Teresa to shame and of course, the only alternative to not beeing able to get his hands on her is for little bro to turn into an evil overlord...and will this show ever run out of poor/sick/orphaned kids in need of protection?
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nodz wrote:
Until now, the manga chapters adapted are 1-30, 39, 98-102, 106-115
40-97 is one big cut, I wonder if they are trying to trim as much early on so they can adapt as much as possible in the future.

Did they seriously Skip that much???!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Neat that they went to Prague for their alchemy. Maybe they'll run into Lipsky doing his puppet shows on the bridge. Wink (Monster reference)
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Might have missed it, but when in the episode did it suggest that Francine was raped over those 10 years?
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Might have missed it, but when in the episode did it suggest that Francine was raped over those 10 years?

The suggestion is during the speech when she's burning to death. But it's vague.

As for the romantic aspect of her death, in the comic it's more heavily intimated that she set the fire herself (due to guilt over being married to Jin), thus making Jin's revenge misdirected.

Certainly it makes it clear that the villagers didn't do it, unlike the anime where they are faceless pitchfork wielding maniacs, as opposed to the uneducated people with genuine fears that the comic presents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6