• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: FF7 Remake Director: Tifa's Redesign Was Necessary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I didn't pick the committee's name. If it were up to me it's be called a "rating compliance board" but I don't get to make that decision.

"rating(s) compliance" with regards to content of sexual ethicality.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The idea that breast size can affect a game's rating is pathetic. And I really like Tifa's design in this remake but that they want to sell me that her breast reduction is for realism... in a videogame, unbelievable.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
*facepalm* OK, I will bite. If anyone has deep knowledge on the subject feel free to correct me. Has the old Tifa character design bigger boobs than the actual (Street Fighter IV/V) character design of Chun Li? Because if it does not, saying the FFVII remake would need a mature rating to keep the boobies is a lame excuse. Remember, playing a rpg requires some commitment since playing a beat'em up requires only pressing the start button, "protecting the children" would have more relevance on the later.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for freeing the nipple but entertaining this argument would require pretending that a) worldwide audiences don't consider giant, flopping boobs sexual b) sexual content should not be considered for audience marketing and c) the people causing a fuss over lack of giant floppy boobs isn't related to their perception of character sexiness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It seems the Americanized Sony doesn't allow ecchi anymore. How exciting to see a "dignified" female character, you can see why FF15 failed. Erotics are no good but killing is OK?
typhonkona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
God forbid they actually make her look like, y'know, a human being.

Big breasted women are human beings too ya know...

Women who wear sports bras are human beings too ya know....
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
It seems the Americanized Sony doesn't allow ecchi anymore. How exciting to see a "dignified" female character, you can see why FF15 failed. Erotics are no good but killing is OK?

It's genuinely impressive how much of this post is wrong. Sony aren't involved, this was done in-house to make sure it hits the global ratings that they intend (For instance, it might tank sales if it's rated too highly in Australia, for instance). This same committee also likely looks at blood and violence to determine rating.

Final Fantasy 15 far from "failed". It made a profit and received DLC and free crossover content for three years.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote

This is the simple fact: Aerith fanboys want Tifa's boobs minimized so she falls of this cliff when this scene happens and she doesn't have the extra support.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
This is the simple fact: Aerith fanboys want Tifa's boobs minimized so she falls of this cliff when this scene happens and she doesn't have the extra support.
CRAP, they're on to us!

For the record, this is also why I want to keep Yuffie slender and get rid of Barret's mantits. It's all about the ships, in the end.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for the change, Tifa is a fighter so it would make sense that she should wear a sport's bra, when on vacation sure wear what you want. I like eechi and everything but even I can take a moment to understand why it was done. M rated games unless its COD don't sell very well. Square Enix wants to make as much money as possible, if you want your massive boobs to stay, you are going to actually have to buy the games with that kind of stuff in it, I don't care if you buy multiple copies for friends and family you have to talk with your wallet. Because from how I see it the sex appeal sells model of the past didn't bring in the money so they are going with a more profitable sales model to stay in business. Will we see an Anime style The Dark Knight Returns for the industry? If all the people complaining about censorship would do their part then maybe.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

"Within the first twenty-four hours, Square Enix reported that Final Fantasy XV had shipped five million units worldwide in both physical shipments and digital sales—a figure which allowed the game to "break even" on development costs.[138] This gave Final Fantasy XV the biggest launch in the franchise to date, the most first day digital sales in Japan for a game up to that point, and set records for physical shipments and downloads in mainland Asia.[139] Commenting on the large numbers, Tabata revealed that the strong sales saved the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, which had seen declining commercial success in recent years.[140] "
MrBonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
I honestly hadn't even noticed the difference. She hasn't looked ridiculous since the original CG cutscenes which were extremely primitive to begin with due to the tech of the time. First foray into creating 2D anime styled artwork into 3D models. Leading to a lot of jank.

But then there's the inconsistency of the messaging from the developers about this new FFVII game being realistic vs unrealistic.

Look at this though, it really isn't all that far off from the new model at all.

OG character model
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/9/9a/Tifa-FFVII-battle.png/revision/latest?cb=20120409231917
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/5/5c/FFVIIR_Tifa_in_battle.png/revision/latest?cb=20190611141327
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
she looks fine (even better than the original) so what's the problem?
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of this when there are so many more serious issues going on with this game than this. One such problem is the fact that they haven't even figured out how many parts this game's gonna have. Are fans really ok with buying an incomplete game with no promise on whether they'll get the next part within the next 2 years or so? If you ask me, that's even worse than the obligatory DLC practice nowadays Rolling Eyes
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:
It's genuinely impressive how much of this post is wrong. Sony aren't involved, this was done in-house to make sure it hits the global ratings that they intend (For instance, it might tank sales if it's rated too highly in Australia, for instance). This same committee also likely looks at blood and violence to determine rating.

I think a lot of people seem to forget that video games are sold in more places that just the US and Japan.

As you pointed out, these changes are likely being made to satisfy the global market as a whole. Making the changes during development will likely save Square Enix a lot of time and money since they can make a game that will satisfy the various ratings boards across all regions instead needing to make changes for each individual market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5