• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise Gets New Anime Series in 2020 for 20th Anniversary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Oh just give all this reboot/remake talk a rest. We all know that there are changes and parts missing, but this is the case with most anime adaptations. Anime adaptations where there are little to no changes and completely faithful to the manga, filler-free, no censorship, nothing cut out with perfect pacing are very rare. Even in the most faithful adaptations, you will always find something that could be better or done differently to make it more faithful to the manga.
So if people don't want a reboot, what else do they want them to do for the anniversary that would "change the history of Yugioh"? Sequel? Time travel crossover? They already did those. Or is "change the history" simply marketing hype for some other gimmick for the next spin off show?

Quote:
I mean with the fact they been making new Yu-Gi-Oh series on a regular for the last 14 years since the 2nd series ended I don't get how essentially a remake of that series could revitalize the series. I mean when DB Battle Of The Gods came out how long had it been since Toei made a new DragonBall property (not counting that special with Vegeta's brother and that non canon Bardock special)?
Most of which haven't been as successful on a global scale since Duel Monsters and Vrains still can't get it's dub on US network TV and half of those shows ended up having their dubs cancelled mid-way. The Dark Side of the Dimensions movie was probably the biggest casual Yugioh fans have been interested in the series in a long time. Yugioh is like Digimon in that most casual fans only really care about the original series and it's mainly the hardcore fans who are into the spin offs. I say this as someone who grew up with Duel Monsters who's only gotten into the spin off shows recently myself.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
Oh just give all this reboot/remake talk a rest. We all know that there are changes and parts missing, but this is the case with most anime adaptations. Anime adaptations where there are little to no changes and completely faithful to the manga, filler-free, no censorship, nothing cut out with perfect pacing are very rare. Even in the most faithful adaptations, you will always find something that could be better or done differently to make it more faithful to the manga.
So if people don't want a reboot, what else do they want them to do for the anniversary that would "change the history of Yugioh"? Sequel? Time travel crossover? They already did those. Or is "change the history" simply marketing hype for some other gimmick for the next spin off show?

Well first of all, I didn't really pay attention to the 'change the history of yugioh' thing (since it's mainly just marketing hype imo), so that had no bearing on my opinion at all. All I'm saying is people should stop with the reboot/remake/direct sequel talk of the original manga every time a new yugioh series is announced. It's just not gonna happen when you consider where the franchise is at now, and how much more popular the anime is than the manga. No one ever gives any convincing reason other than the fact the adaptation we got changed stuff. All it ever sounds like is nostalgia talking.

But as for what they can do to change the history of yugioh? Well anything would really, since no matter what they do would become apart of the franchise's history. As for what they can do to change the history in a meaningful way? Who knows? But going back to old stuff certainly won't change it any meaningful way.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Unless it gets an especially bad adaptation or something, most anime adaptations are more popular than the manga source material, so pointing to that as a reason to not do a Yugioh reboot isn't really an argument against it because more fans watch anime than read manga in general. In spite of fan complaints about the filler-in, the DBZ anime was incredibly popular for years, even more popular than Yugioh, and it still got DBZ Kai made. And yeah, most reboots are made because of nostalgia, and anniversaries are generally about nostalgia as well, so I'm not seeing that as an argument against one, either. In any case, the decision to make a reboot or not rests with Takahashi and Gallop, regardless of your's and I's personal desires and whether we think it's needed or not. I'll watch whatever they announce regardless and of course it's important to keep realistic expectations in check. I do think though they have something special planned related to past entries one way or another given that they made this statement about changing Yugioh's history in relation to the 20th anniversary.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Unless it gets an especially bad adaptation or something, most anime adaptations are more popular than the manga source material, so pointing to that as a reason to not do a Yugioh reboot isn't really an argument against it because more fans watch anime than read manga in general. In spite of fan complaints about the filler-in, the DBZ anime was incredibly popular for years, even more popular than Yugioh, and it still got DBZ Kai made. And yeah, most reboots are made because of nostalgia, and anniversaries are generally about nostalgia as well, so I'm not seeing that as an argument against one, either. In any case, the decision to make a reboot or not rests with Takahashi and Gallop, regardless of your's and I's personal desires and whether we think it's needed or not. I'll watch whatever they announce regardless and of course it's important to keep realistic expectations in check. I do think though they have something special planned related to past entries one way or another given that they made this statement about changing Yugioh's history in relation to the 20th anniversary.

Yes that is true, but for yugioh in particular, the anime difference in popularity between the anime and manga is huge compared to most other series. The manga should have way more sales than it does when you consider how popular the anime is. And DB Kai is a completely different situation altogether, because they wanted to broadcast DBZ but it didn't meet modern broadcast standards. Dragon Ball was arguably the most popular anime in the world (and possibly of all time) at the time, so it warranted a remake. Due to how much the card game has changed nowadays, the yugioh duel monsters anime wouldn't warrant a rebroadcast (remastered or not). And nostalgia is always part of the reason, but almost never the sole reseason why reboots and remakes happen. DBZ had the immense popularity and bringing it back would allow them to promote their games (which only really started becoming a regular thing for the franchise a few years prior). Yugioh on the other doesn't need to reboot anime series to promote the card game, cause the selling point is the card game. Unlike yugioh, Dragon Ball isn't one of those series where you can start fresh with a whole new cast of characters and world like the yugioh spin-offs do, cause the selling point is the characters. That's pretty much the reason why keep doing spin-offs for yugioh, where they more or less start from scratch as opposed to remakes/reboots; cause the main selling point is the card game. As stated before, sure they could rewrite the duels with new cards and mechanics, but it wouldn't be very interesting cause it's the same plot. At that point they would need make changes to the plot, which at that point they're changing so much they may as well do something completely new.

And yes, it is not our decision. I'm just giving my 2 cents as to on the reboot/remake talk, and why I believe it should stop. And perhaps the next series will be a bit more special than usual, but that doesn't necessarily mean remake/reboot.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't want a remake or reboot, that's just lazy. I'm just taking their words as meaning there will be yet another new type of monster or summoning method.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Most of which haven't been as successful on a global scale since Duel Monsters and Vrains still can't get it's dub on US network TV

To be pretty fair that's not a bad thing given how badly edited those dubs would be and with whoever presently owns the rights having zero interest in airing an unaltered version of the dub.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yugioh is like Digimon in that most casual fans only really care about the original series and it's mainly the hardcore fans who are into the spin offs.

Isn't that backwards I mean Darkside Of Dimensions wasn't really made for casual fans unfamiliar with the series and haven't most of the old school segment of the Yu-Gi-Oh fanbase crapped on all the spin-offs because they think those series hold a candle to the 2nd series?

AutoOps007 wrote:

Yes that is true, but for yugioh in particular, the anime difference in popularity between the anime and manga is huge compared to most other series. The manga should have way more sales than it does when you consider how popular the anime is. And DB Kai is a completely different situation altogether, because they wanted to broadcast DBZ but it didn't meet modern broadcast standards. Dragon Ball was arguably the most popular anime in the world (and possibly of all time) at the time, so it warranted a remake.

Kai wasn't a remake it was a remaster which was part of the reason it tuned some people out....though given what Toei would do with Crystal (and by extension the Super anime) like to think we dodged a bullet there

AutoOps007 wrote:

DBZ had the immense popularity and bringing it back would allow them to promote their games

Yeah given how many games Bandai kicked out with between the ending of Z and the start of Super this wouldn't be necessary.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:

Yes that is true, but for yugioh in particular, the anime difference in popularity between the anime and manga is huge compared to most other series. The manga should have way more sales than it does when you consider how popular the anime is. And DB Kai is a completely different situation altogether, because they wanted to broadcast DBZ but it didn't meet modern broadcast standards. Dragon Ball was arguably the most popular anime in the world (and possibly of all time) at the time, so it warranted a remake.

Kai wasn't a remake it was a remaster which was part of the reason it tuned some people out....though given what Toei would do with Crystal (and by extension the Super anime) like to think we dodged a bullet there

AutoOps007 wrote:

DBZ had the immense popularity and bringing it back would allow them to promote their games

Yeah given how many games Bandai kicked out with between the ending of Z and the start of Super this wouldn't be necessary.

I know that Kai was a remaster, but I just said remake cause that's what's being brought up, and it's not that difference between the two in the context of this discussion when it comes to the reasons why it's needed or not. And really, a remaster is a form of a remake when you're cutting it up that much; it's a cheap remake using the old materials. But that whether it's a remake or remaster is irrelevant to my point of it being pointless.

And yes, I know Kai wasn't an really necessary, but the promoting games part of my point was just an added bonus, while the main reason for bringing it back was due to immense popularity and to bring dragon ball z to a new generation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3