• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Boruto Writer Ukyō Kodachi Shares Support For LGBTQ Representation in Fiction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

That is the case. On the subject of Kishimoto, I’ve heard that he originally wanted Naruto and Sasuke to hold hands after their final battle, but Jump didn’t approve of it, so he had them losing their arms with their blood loss simulating them holding hands.

The idea of holding hands is a concept the series uses when two ninjas finish having a fight something that was foreshadowed a lot in the manga like in the end of Part 1 and when Naruto remembers the first time he saw Sasuke and the two got simply angy and refused to hold fans. On the other hand, Shikamaru and Choji simply held hands because they didn't wanna fight.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
I'm not expert but I think that explicit lgbt characters in kids show would bring backslash from parents in most countries.

In most countries, yes. But that's less true now than it was years ago. And in Japan there's been LGBT characters in children-oriented anime since at least the 90's.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

That is the case. On the subject of Kishimoto, I’ve heard that he originally wanted Naruto and Sasuke to hold hands after their final battle, but Jump didn’t approve of it, so he had them losing their arms with their blood loss simulating them holding hands.

The idea of holding hands is a concept the series uses when two ninjas finish having a fight something that was foreshadowed a lot in the manga like in the end of Part 1 and when Naruto remembers the first time he saw Sasuke and the two got simply angy and refused to hold fans. On the other hand, Shikamaru and Choji simply held hands because they didn't wanna fight.

You’re thinking of the Seal of Reconciliation, which involves two people intertwining their right index and middle fingers together, not exactly hand holding. Clearly Jump has no problem with that, since Kishimoto used it throughout the series.
Jin_Uzuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't think Waver is gay unless there is some side material I am not familiar with. Broskander seems much more like a father figure, and Waver gets really flustered / embarrassed when the girls flirt with and tease him. I see them much more like father and son like I see Shishigo/Mordred as father and daughter. Also Waver's friend seems to be an example of the anime stereotypical gay character trope I was talking about in my previous post where the character has nothing to them but that trope, and Waver has a completely different reaction to his flirting / teasing which make it seems like he just considers it a nuisance.

That's not what Waver means when he calls Iskandar his daddy. Laughing

(Also I don't remember Waver ever showing interest in any woman, in fact in Zero Iskandar tried to set him up with Taiga, but he was totally uninterested/annoyed, and in one Drama CD Medusa only manages to catch his interest when she starts talking about about Iskandar lol)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
KPK10 wrote:
That's great of him to say and all but can someone name ONE character of his that is OPENLY LGBT?! because I sure can't.

Orochimaru clearly states that gender shouldn’t matter and the text in Boruto always uses non-gendered titles and pronouns to refer to Orochimaru (“parent” as opposed to “father”), to the point where it’s commented on in-story.

But...looking for a character that was not and will not be a villain would be ideal, for a lot of reasons.
championferret wrote:

If Urobuchi has said anything concrete on it, I haven't seen it, but he certainly isn't a stranger to same-sex attracted characters such as Homura, who also didn't seem to need to say 'I am a lesbian' out loud for it to be obvious to anyone watching the show. Characters shouldn't have to say this out loud when their actions and speech patterns reveal plenty. (There's also the fact that a lot of the Waver content ended up cut from the original novels because it made it seem too much like he was the main character instead of Kiritsugu, so he was already getting disproportionate attention without Urobuchi spelling out every single thing about him. The cut content also was about him and Rider becoming the dads of a baby Assassin...I mean come on.)

Meanwhile theres no evidence that he's straight, other than 'straight is the default, so unless this character literally turns to the camera and says 'god DAMN i love the same gender as me', they're definitely straight.' It's a double standard I've grown pretty tired of, because no one would even be doubting this if Waver was female, his attraction would just be accepted as fact(and given Sensha Otoko, it kinda..is)

Ironically that kind of double standard seems to be exactly what Kodachi is trying to address with his statements, at least thats how I read them.

I hear that, but I also hear that not explicitly confirming authorial intent with regards to characters’ sexual orientation is queer baiting, and, frankly, cowardly. It’s so much easier to present characters as subject to fans’ interpretation, so that fans who would be uncomfortable with an LGBTQ+ character/romance have the staff’s plausible deniability on their side. “Subject to interpretation (but if you read creator interviews, wink-wink, nudge-nudge)” is getting frustrating, and leads to situations like “Yuri and Victor can’t kiss on screen.” (Yuri on Ice). If the creators see a character as falling in love with a same gendered character, make it clear and be proud of it!

(Where can I read more about Waver and Rider being gay dads to baby Assassin?)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
^
I agree with that. People act like actual confirmation must be shoe-horned and awkward. If we're using the Waver example, Fate Zero never had them reference having sex, visually show them amorously embracing or kissing, none of that. Shows with male-female couples allow them to refer to a spouse or a boy/girlfriend, which is not the case with alleged queer couples built on subtext. Subtext itself can be difficult to parse, and I often dislike how it's steeped in amatonormativity. Like, I agree that Homura held romantic feelings for Madoka, but I was never fond of people arguing that it must be the case because "why would she do so much for someone she just sees as a friend."

In addition, many identities need to be explicitly stated because people wont pick up on it/accept it otherwise. People are quick to erase bisexuals, ignore the term pansexual, and just flat out not get non-binary.

I don't really consider him responsible for Orochimaru since he's only involved in a continuation. Not that I consider the character good rep. If anything, it feels like it's meant to contribute to Orochimaru being somewhat inhuman. So taking this into account, it kiiinda feels like Kodachi is making a statement while doing nothing concrete to back it up.
Jin_Uzuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
[quote="KPK10"

I hear that, but I also hear that not explicitly confirming authorial intent with regards to characters’ sexual orientation is queer baiting, and, frankly, cowardly. It’s so much easier to present characters as subject to fans’ interpretation, so that fans who would be uncomfortable with an LGBTQ+ character/romance have the staff’s plausible deniability on their side. “Subject to interpretation (but if you read creator interviews, wink-wink, nudge-nudge)” is getting frustrating, and leads to situations like “Yuri and Victor can’t kiss on screen.” (Yuri on Ice). If the creators see a character as falling in love with a same gendered character, make it clear and be proud of it!

(Where can I read more about Waver and Rider being gay dads to baby Assassin?)

I mean, if you ask some people even confirmed couples are still not "canon enough" (I still see people denying CCS characters, Anthy and Utena or Shinji and Kaworu, to name some). Even Ikuhara isn't free of that, people still didn't accept Mabu and Reo as a "legit ship" (Despite being featured together in a spin off in a BL manga lol) until episode 10.

Also let's not pretend writers can do what they want. You mention Yuri and Victor, but look how the magazines still found a way to censor the rings (to the point even the Japanese fandom pointed it out) even after the series found its success specifically because it went were no sport anime before went.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

I don't really consider him responsible for Orochimaru since he's only involved in a continuation. Not that I consider the character good rep. If anything, it feels like it's meant to contribute to Orochimaru being somewhat inhuman. So taking this into account, it kiiinda feels like Kodachi is making a statement while doing nothing concrete to back it up.
While I would also like to see Kodachi include an LGBTQIA+ character in Boruto or in his original works, I think Kodachi was just making a general statement that he should have the same artistic freedom to make a character be LGBTQIA+ for whatever reason he wants to even if it doesn't serve some "greater" contribution to the story, the same way authors do with straight characters all the time. I don't think Kodachi was actually making a statement about the sexual orientations of any characters in his existing work and was just making a general statement about artistic freedom.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 am Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone else is really paying anymore attention to this little game of inside baseball regarding "what is the sexuality of Waver Velvet" (:P), but I still wanted to say several thinsg, in light of what's been written since I last posted... if only to lend some support to the notion that one can interpret a Waver/Iskandar relationship as something that's not a sexual romance.

(While Kodachi is not the creator of Waver, and had no input on his development in Zero, I think it's still worth a bit to dwell on him a bit further. Waver's development by his earlier writers may very well inform where the Case FIles anime adaptation has gone and may go in the future, afterall.)

First, props to championferret for finding that interview
championferret wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the same interview Yurigasaki is talking about but wink-nudge comments about Waver and Rider in interviews were all over the place while the show was airing. I'm not actually sure where this one is from (its a bunch of peoples thoughts on episode 13), but it got passed around a lot back when F/Z was airing.
https://imgur.com/bGb4G
It contains this line from Makoto Sanda: 'No matter how you look at it, that face Waver has waking up is a 'morning after' face, isn't it? It's like looking at a couple that ended up becoming intimate after always being together.' (この寝起きのウェイバーの顔は、どう見ても「事後」ですよね。なんだが、いつも一緒にいるうちにいつの間にかくっついてしまったカップルを見ているかのような」
In the second paragraph they say Team Rider is becoming like a shojo manga (with Waver as 'heroine'), and then later 'Rider and Waver have a lover's quarrel in the sunset...they're clearly lovers already!' (もう明らかに恋人同士!), compares Waver to a heroine in a dating sim with Rider as the protag, etc. Sure you could argue its just them joking around, but the fact is they did this -a lot-,. There was even that official AU Sensha Otoko that was literally a love story between Rider and a genderbent Waver.

-- which, among other paraphrased tidbits, give some backing to the interpretation of the relationship being a romance in the traditional, more sexual sense.

But just as you say, one can argue that a lot of what gets said is done so in jest. Going to the source material, Team Rider is oftentimes shown to be F/Z's comedic duo, so Waver coming into his pants thanks to excitement at summoning Iskandar can work outside the paradigm of "oh that's gay alright" because *it's just funny*, and is in character with his previously established youthful excitability and arrogance. Even the AU Sensha Otoko, a humorous parody of Densha Otoko featuring caricatures of well-established Fate characters, can be said to be just that-- an alternate universe featuring caricatures of already-established characters, one where variables can be adjusted to tell the desired AU story accordingly. (As for the serious scene with Waver's "You are my King".... well, it's personally hard to fathom addresses of "anata" only, 100% being limited to expressions of traditionally romanctic love in general.)

There may be aspects to these statements of 'Waver is like a heroine to Iskandar's hero' that ring true, but that doesn't necessarily amount to *the* truth at the core. And we only have so much access to this "truth", if the word of the author ("word of God") is to be considered the truth; we don't talk with the writers and know every thought that goes into creating a character. In fact, this "truth" can be quite malleable, thanks to the lack knowledge we may have, and therefore the truth can be formed in part at the hands of the audience. So regarding Waver's close bond with Iskandar... I think it's subject to varying interpretations as far as its degree or kind of romanticism is concerned.

And what have I personally seen at the core of Waver's character as it pertains to Iskandar, thus far? A true affection and spirtual longing, a platonic deep love between men as both friends and mentor/student, but not one with a firm promise or hope of sexual intimacy. That's how it resonated with me during all my viewings of Fate/Zero... well, that, and how I get bothered by the apparent notion that a male (like myself) can't have a notably close bond/friendship with another male without there being a sexual undercurrent. Again, my interpretation-- and it may be such that it is a minority viewpoint-- but still one with some validity, I think.

(If one absolutely has to bring language of sexuality into it, though.... maybe Waver could be thought of as being asexual? :P He doesn't seem particularly interested in having a love life with anyone...)

Jin_Uzuki wrote:
(Also I don't remember Waver ever showing interest in any woman, in fact in Zero Iskandar tried to set him up with Taiga, but he was totally uninterested/annoyed, and in one Drama CD Medusa only manages to catch his interest when she starts talking about about Iskandar lol)

Maybe this is getting too pedantic, but sorry, a drama CD where Medusa talks about Iskandar and Waver overhears? What?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jin_Uzuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

Jin_Uzuki wrote:

Maybe this is getting too pedantic, but sorry, a drama CD where Medusa talks about Iskandar and Waver overhears? What?

No, it's a Drama CD in which Medusa tries to seduce him, fails, but manages to catch his attention when she starts talking about Iskandar.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
^
I agree with that. People act like actual confirmation must be shoe-horned and awkward. If we're using the Waver example, Fate Zero never had them reference having sex, visually show them amorously embracing or kissing, none of that. Shows with male-female couples allow them to refer to a spouse or a boy/girlfriend, which is not the case with alleged queer couples built on subtext. Subtext itself can be difficult to parse, and I often dislike how it's steeped in amatonormativity. Like, I agree that Homura held romantic feelings for Madoka, but I was never fond of people arguing that it must be the case because "why would she do so much for someone she just sees as a friend."

I'm going to be bold and assume a lot of anime fans are socially awkward and not very experienced in areas like that. So the idea of close friendship between anyone, same sex or different sex, is probably alien and foreign to a lot of people. Any type of positive interaction will be interpreted as romantic, like the classic cases of guys who think a girl saying hi to him or being friendly is her indicating she has romantic feelings for him because he's not used to getting positive interaction from anyone, let alone a girl. So to see a character like Naruto go through so much over the series for "just a friend" Sasuke doesn't really make too much sense and they have to interpret it as romance.

But the thing with subtext is people will see subtext where there isn't any, or just interpret it in a way they want to. Even years after the fact we're seeing people insist Naruto and Sasuke were gay for one another, despite both choosing to marry women and have children with their wives. Which leads to rumors and conspiracy theories like Jump interfering with Kishimoto's original plans, which then inevitably leads to actionable situations like the Tokyo Ghoul community where the fans sent death threats to the mangaka because they felt he didn't understand the characters he created as well as the fans did because two characters were "100% supposed to be gay" ended up not being as such, so he needed to pay for that crime.

But I understand why people prefer subtext over confirmation. If you have to use actual LGBT confirmed characters then things get very uncomfortable. For example, if you have a choice between choosing cute and beloved characters the anime community loves like Astolfo, Hidari, or Felix to represent you as a trans person, or explicit characters like Azumi, Nico, Puri Puri Prisoner, Madam Momere, the dozens of okama in One Piece, and all the other characters who are treated as walking punchlines where they emphasize the characters masculine features like 5 o'clock shadow stubble, then of course people will pick the former over the latter. The later is no doubt offensive and harmful to them.

In Orochimaru's case, he's a ninja who goes through routine body mutilation in order to learn every jutsu and obtain ultimate power,.transferring his soul from one body to another, male or female body doesn't matter to him, in order to have immortality to do his research. I don't consider that the same as someone assigned one gender at birth and they grow up to identify as the other one and want to live life that way. It's pretty clear Orochimaru is not supposed to be representative of anyone or anything besides a mad scientist who will commit any crime and defile any moral or law to achieve his goal.
AbbyCham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I don't know if anyone else is really paying anymore attention to this little game of inside baseball regarding "what is the sexuality of Waver Velvet" (Razz), but I still wanted to say several thinsg, in light of what's been written since I last posted... if only to lend some support to the notion that one can interpret a Waver/Iskandar relationship as something that's not a sexual romance.

(As for the serious scene with Waver's "You are my King".... well, it's personally hard to fathom addresses of "anata" only, 100% being limited to expressions of traditionally romanctic love in general.)

There may be aspects to these statements of 'Waver is like a heroine to Iskandar's hero' that ring true, but that doesn't necessarily amount to *the* truth at the core. And we only have so much access to this "truth", if the word of the author ("word of God") is to be considered the truth; we don't talk with the writers and know every thought that goes into creating a character. In fact, this "truth" can be quite malleable, thanks to the lack knowledge we may have, and therefore the truth can be formed in part at the hands of the audience. So regarding Waver's close bond with Iskandar... I think it's subject to varying interpretations as far as its degree or kind of romanticism is concerned.

And what have I personally seen at the core of Waver's character as it pertains to Iskandar, thus far? A true affection and spirtual longing, a platonic deep love between men as both friends and mentor/student, but not one with a firm promise or hope of sexual intimacy. That's how it resonated with me during all my viewings of Fate/Zero... well, that, and how I get bothered by the apparent notion that a male (like myself) can't have a notably close bond/friendship with another male without there being a sexual undercurrent. Again, my interpretation-- and it may be such that it is a minority viewpoint-- but still one with some validity, I think.

(If one absolutely has to bring language of sexuality into it, though.... maybe Waver could be thought of as being asexual? Razz He doesn't seem particularly interested in having a love life with anyone...)

First of all, this has already been mentioned, but the Fate/Zero light novel (the origin of Fate/Zero written by Urobuchi) describes Waver "nearly jizzing his pants" after summoning Iskandar and seeing him for the first time. The original Japanese text uses a vulgar term instead of something more clinical like "ejaculate" to get the point across. It's not just a silly throwaway line implying that he wet his pants in surprise. It's supposed to be sexual. If you think there's something inherently funny about a gay man being sexually attracted to another man, I don't know what to tell you. There's also an official 4koma comic about Iskandar and Waver getting ready to engage in the sexual sort of mana transfer. If you don't know about how sexual mana transfer works in the Fate/series, it basically relies on any kind of sex that involves the transfer of bodily fluids. There are ALSO a couple of panels in the second volume of the Fate/Zero manga that show Waver lying in bed with the horniest face fantasizing about Iskandar intimidating the people who mocked him at the Clock Tower. Waver is a surprisingly horny character in spite of his youthful experience. Taiga even jokes about looking forward to the sexy doujins of them in one of the Einzbern Consultation Room OVAs.

Secondly, the word "anata" can have different meanings in different contexts, but the main two usages involve talking down to someone of lower rank or status (such as a boss to an employee) or a romantic address that could be translated as "dear" or "darling" (usually wives use this to address their husbands). Obviously, Waver isn't talking down to Iskandar in the "you are my king" scene, so the only other realistic interpretation is the romantic one

That being said, it's somewhat homophobic to have such a double standard with heterosexual relationships versus homosexual ones. If fictional men "like yourself" being attracted to other men makes you uncomfortable, that's a you problem, and projecting won't solve it. As it's already been stated, if Waver were a girl, his blushing around Iskandar in episode 13 of Fate/Zero + onwards, his use of "anata" in his profession of loyalty, his horny faces from the manga, his undying longing for Iskandar, etc... would never be considered anything other than signs of both romantic and sexual attraction. No one would be trying to make excuses to "no homo" the relationship by insinuating that girl!Waver is asexual despite being horny in canon. This literally plays out in the Sensha Otoko parody. Waver is possibly the only character in Fate who's shown to be strictly homosexual. He's displayed sexual interest in Iskandar several times, but his disinterest in women is a main character trait in his Case Files. There's really no point in trying to deny his canon orientation. The only thing worth arguing is that it would be nice if his attraction could be made more obvious so that ridiculous arguments about his relationship with Iskandar being platonic didn't have to happen.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
The way some people argue passionately for the representation of platonic male friendships, you’d think they were a rare and endangered thing in media, vanishing in favour of gay relationships, and not one of the most common character dynamics around. Shonen franchises are overflowing with male friendships, and in the vast majority of cases, they’re not remotely ambiguous either. Even the currently-airing BL anime has more male friendships in it than romances.

Yet still people tie themselves in knots insisting the small number of ambiguous relationships, and even some of the explicitly gay ones, are totally platonic and straight, as if the thought of characters they like being gay or bi is a personal affront to them. I’ve seen people argue that Shion and Nezumi from No. 6 aren’t in love, despite them kissing on the lips, and even offer Shion’s rejection of his female friend as proof of him being straight.

I’d like to see more anime being explicit about romantic bonds between male characters, but more than that, I’d like to see a lower burden of proof for them to be accepted as canon, like straight pairs already have. Creators shouldn’t have to make public statements, or make their character say “I’m gay”, or write it as BL for fans to accept it. It’s nice to see a mainstream writer supporting the idea of more LGBT characters, regardless of whether or not their sexuality or gender identity is relevant to the overall plot.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I always have to raise my eyebrows at the way western people apply the term "queer baiting" to Japanese media. Isn't queer baiting taking two straight characters (at least one of whom has an opposite sex partner at some point) and making them look gay to look progressive and attract shippers and LGBT folk, only to in the end have them end up alone or with a partner of the opposite sex? Not confirming a characters sexuality is not... queer baiting. The west queerbaits because it doesn't wanna alienate the homophobic audience. In Japan, it is often the case that even if writers WANT to be explicit, people higher in the hierarchy shut them down. You conveniently mention Yuri on Ice (which takes some real mental gymnastics to interpret as anything but gay) so let's discuss that. The director said she had to fight to keep the kiss scene, even though it had to be hidden. And I think the anime is pretty clear even outside of that scene? It's not like they're not proud of what they made, but they were clearly pressured by the production committee to insert some "plausible deniability" - even though I really think it takes some immense denial to think that Victor and Yuuri aren't in love.

Calling it cowardly when creators AREN'T ALLOWED to be more explicit is just unfair.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Not sure whether to feel honored or insulted that my last post apparently provoked the very first post of a brand new account. Given the tenor of the post, unfortunately, I think I'd lean toward feeling the latter. I really dislike the insinuations about my own character as a poster here, especially. I'll try and keep my new response more brief, as I'm not going to combat every lingering disagreement and further prolong a discussion and relitigate my points when I feel I've said most-everything I needed to say.

AbbyCham wrote:

First of all, this has already been mentioned, but the Fate/Zero light novel (the origin of Fate/Zero written by Urobuchi) describes Waver "nearly jizzing his pants" after summoning Iskandar and seeing him for the first time. The original Japanese text uses a vulgar term instead of something more clinical like "ejaculate" to get the point across. It's not just a silly throwaway line implying that he wet his pants in surprise. It's supposed to be sexual. If you think there's something inherently funny about a gay man being sexually attracted to another man, I don't know what to tell you. There's also an official 4koma comic about Iskandar and Waver getting ready to engage in the sexual sort of mana transfer. If you don't know about how sexual mana transfer works in the Fate/series, it basically relies on any kind of sex that involves the transfer of bodily fluids. There are ALSO a couple of panels in the second volume of the Fate/Zero manga that show Waver lying in bed with the horniest face fantasizing about Iskandar intimidating the people who mocked him at the Clock Tower. Waver is a surprisingly horny character in spite of his youthful experience. Taiga even jokes about looking forward to the sexy doujins of them in one of the Einzbern Consultation Room OVAs.

(bolded statements for emphasis)
I would hope that my Kiritsugu avatar was enough to clue you in that I know a thing or two about Fate/, so there was no need to explain that stuff. (Wait, no, actually, I know quite a fair bit; I first got into Type-Moon stuff via the VNs years ago, and have spent quite a bit of my posting here on Fate/stuff in general since.) It might not have been the intention, but it comes off as patronizing.

Also, I don't know what you read when I wrote about the Iskandar summoning scene, but again--
Quote:
But just as you say, one can argue that a lot of what gets said is done so in jest. Going to the source material, Team Rider is oftentimes shown to be F/Z's comedic duo, so Waver coming into his pants thanks to excitement at summoning Iskandar can work outside the paradigm of "oh that's gay alright" because *it's just funny*, and is in character with his previously established youthful excitability and arrogance.

I never once 're-imagined' Waver's role as 'wetting his pants in surprise' or one-- I read the translation, it definitely wasn't that-- nor did I ever say that a man being sexually attracted to another is "inherently funny." It's the notion that one reaches climax at a purportedly serious summoning of a great Heroic Spirit that I'd say is inherently amusing. Discharging bodily fluids is oftentimes funny! The human body can be very funny! And haven't you ever seen jocular writing or heard jokes before about people coming in response to all sorts of things, not just based on sexual interest? In the instance of Waver's summoning, then, it's not so unwarranted to think that humor is what takes precedence there, or outlandish to think that sexuality isn't being seriously addressed here,

AbbyCham wrote:
That being said, it's somewhat homophobic to have such a double standard with heterosexual relationships versus homosexual ones. If fictional men "like yourself" being attracted to other men makes you uncomfortable, that's a you problem, and projecting won't solve it. [...]

Yes, the guy who focused on Oscar Wilde for his bachelor's thesis six years ago (oh, and happens to be a big-time fan of such heteronormative works like Revolutionary Girl Utena and Sarazanmai) definitely has such double standards and absolutely can't stand fictional queer relationships existing. Rolling Eyes It just so happens that, at least as far as Fate/Zero is concerned, Waver and Iskandar resonated with me far more as platonic/familial lovers with a mutually fulfilling camaraderie, not entertaining it to be a homosexual romance until I went online to get others' impressions of the show. Unless I'm somehow mistaken, I even recall a queer critic (now a former critic?) from this site likening their bond to a father/son relationship. The notable disparity in stature and age between the two definitely aided in that.

As for the adult version we see in Case Files.... I'm really going to have to wait to see where that all goes firsthand, whether via the novels or Kodachi's adaptation. When considering Waver's problem with women, at least I thought it was more about Waver being prone to cowardice when it comes to beautiful women, to paraphrase my friend who themselves is a major WaverXIskandar fan and reader of all the Case Files LNs. And interestingly, there are these pronounced likes and dislikes in Fate/Grand Order's My Room dialogue @ [url]https://grandorder.wiki/Zhuge_Liang_(Lord_El-Melloi_II)/Dialogue[/url]...

---

For what its's worth (if only to better relate to the original article), I'll round back up to Ukyo Kodachi's approach to LGBT representation, in that there already seems to be subtle inclusion of his own making in the Case Files anime. Remember the hand-holding shot between Waver's former student (Mary Fargo) and the family maid in that parting shot in Episode 2? As many have inferred, this could allude to a lesbian relationship between the two. In my view, this could well enhance and deepen the story, in light of how the plot had Mary's abusive father try to attain immortality/reach the Root after his bodily death, only to try and possess Mary's body once that bid to immortally bind himself to the mansion failed. (Did he not have any confidence in his Magic Crest being passed down through his daughter? Why wouldn't he? Unless Mary had other life aspirations that didn't naturally facilitate the passing of the magic crest like the father wanted...) This adds some dimension to an episodic story that otherwise, I think, would've fallen a bit flat for me; the bond between Waver and Iskandar, meanwhile, holds enough dimension for me before I even start to consider theirs might be an eros-driven romantic one.

(Finally, I'm done, sheesh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4