• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Monogatari Series Anime to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
This is just a joke. All of those were already streaming for free, and in greater breadth than Funi. I know this wasn’t Funi’s decision, but if I were them, I would’ve tried to negotiate.
The exclusion of the last three episodes is frustrating and I do hope they'll eventually stream the Kizu movies somewhere but the later Monogatari series will probably be added at a later point. And if only Amazon is streaming those last three episodes, maybe Amazon has some sort of exclusivity over them?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The exclusion of the last three episodes is frustrating and I do hope they'll eventually stream the Kizu movies somewhere but the later Monogatari series will probably be added at a later point. And if only Amazon is streaming those last three episodes, maybe Amazon has some sort of exclusivity over them?

Amazon Prime is no longer streaming Bakemonogatari at all. The whole show is currently unavailable if you find the page. Episodes 13-15 of Bake, as well as the new season of Zoku Owari, are home video exclusive, even though they aired on Japanese television, anyways. Thankfully the Kizu movies can be digitally rented on Amazon for a decent price, but not in Canada. Someday I may get the $40 MVM UK blurays of Bakemonogatari and Kizu from Amazon UK. It’s a much more decent price.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Unfortunately, most people out of Japan just dismissed it as unorthodox (it's a very confusing anime in structure) paedophilic garbage.

Uh, do you have a source for this?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
You may think why or how convenient streaming is but imagine one day some country does an EMP attack on yours or there's just a plain old apocalypse scenario. Then say bye to all your anime forever if you were mostly exclusive on streaming.

Lol! Glad I'm not the only paranoid one around here...
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
Enjoy Bakemonogatari,except the last three episodes because they want to force you to buy the overpriced BDs that you can't actually buy because they are out of stock and Aniplex rarely reprints them and even if you do somehow find,they will likely get no money at all. Oops...

This has stopped me from watching any of the other series beyond Bakemonogatari. Either stream it all or not at all.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
@cookiemanstah You say these things but I've seen absolutely no basis for them given comments from a bunch of ANN denizens, which I assume are some cross-section of the anime community in the US. In fact, there were a few years where Monogatari shows were everywhere and what a lot of people talked (positively) about. Personally, I liked "Bake" and not really the rest but there seems to have been a divide between people who think everything from Nisioisin is the best ever and those who accuse people who like the shows of endorsing pedophilia and mysogeny. I don't understand why some people need to go to such extremes of opinion as neither is fully justified.

As for the "pretentious" criticism, I believe it stems partly from Nisioisin's predilection for obtuse Japanese wordplay and using it seemingly to reinforce how witty and intelligent the characters using it are (which is pretentious behavior). There is also the tendency to overly wordy dialogue that gives the impression of a person who "loves to hear themselves talk" and ramble a bit (looking at you OwariMonogatari...) which people usually view as pretentious behavior. However, on the conceptual level I haven't seen too much pretense (ala Babylon) as the shows tend to be relatively straightforward in plotting so the series isn't fully guilty IMHO.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@cookiemanstah You say these things but I've seen absolutely no basis for them given comments from a bunch of ANN denizens, which I assume are some cross-section of the anime community in the US.

i could say a lot about this, but I'll just say I've been around every block you can think of for anime communities/groups for decades to come to my conclusion. It's not something you can just handpick for quick proof or evidence. I've even been around 2--- in Japan discreetly for fun.

I just think Monogatari is only accepted by people that are indifferent to or accepting of anime's lewd subcultures/similar (aka hentai, ecchi). You get past that, you get to the character writing quality. Unfortunately, most Western mainstream anime viewers conclude sex or fanservice is gross, so it's naturally shunned fast. It's also very talky like you said. Not really much mayhem going on at all.

The only sites I have ever been on where Monogatari is wholly accepted and liked were literature IRC rooms (where I found out about Isin) and 4----.

But Nisio Isin is SURREAL so that's why Westerners just dismiss him as "pretentious" Everything else he has made like Medaka Box and Katanagatari is just as weird as Mono.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
Maybe more to my point, some make pronouncements without backup and without interest in discussion. I think I made a little case why some would say Nisioisin is pretentious. Since you say "Mono" is surreal, would you care to provide an example? Because I don't know everything, but I know what I know....Anyway, it sounds like you should work for ANN because the staff could use a "fresh" perspective...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3