• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Detective Conan: Episode One, Love Hina Again, S-CRY-ed Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkestabsol

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Discotek release more Conan material, after the Conan/Lupin crossovers from a few years back! Hopefully if Episode One does well for them, they’ll license some more of the series.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:

FrodoGate222 wrote:
Quote:
Discotek will release the 1969 A Thousand and One Nights (Senya Ichiya Monogatari) film on Blu-ray with English subtitles and a "classic, long-lost dub" thanks to a newly restoration.

So another piece of lost media has been found?

Yes, this dub was so rare people on the net thought its existence was a myth. Supposedly it's a different edit of the film that contains a scene that's missing from the Japanese version. I'm shocked they managed to actually find this lost relic. Don't know if it was ever screened in the West.

That's amazing! It's always great when a lost piece of media that has been sought after for years is finally found.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Guess I shouldn't be surprised at the Conan pickup, this was one of 3 titles that TMS had dubbed and screened at conventions last year so it's basically a repeat of Jigen's Gravestone in regards to the recasting. I don't care for the series myself but here's hoping it does sell.

Love Hina Again is surprising but to start here, it must mean that FUNi might still have the TV series.....and the two specials they claimed to have but never re-released.

Combattler V was kinda spoiled by the whole Toei Tokusatsu World mess because in addition to the live-action shows that got region-blocked in North America, so did this show, Voltes V and 3 others that are still unannounced as licensed.

As for S-Cry-Ed, the Sunrise-related issues were pretty known but man......I guess we should have gotten suspicious over this when Sentai went and picked up those other Sunrise titles a while back like Votoms, Dunbine & others while doing nothing with the Bandai rescues except release Big O not once but twice. Regardless, I'm glad S-Cry-Ed got another chance now and I won't have to worry about encoding issues with the upscale like I would have over it under Sentai since their BDs have had issues as of late (specifically their recent upscales & SDBDs). The lack of Alteration movies is a bit of a bummer but at least we have an answer on this because I always wondered if Sentai had them. Hope to see the other dropped(?) rescues like Kurokami & The Girl Who Leapt Through Space get picked up & re-released too.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Some thoughts:
-A new dub of Conan without the Funimation names? Hmmm. I'd prefer consistancy, but oh well. And Wendee Lee as Conan? Hope it's not just her Konata voice.

Yeah, I can't help but be disappointed. I don't really like Wendee Lee's voice for that age range, but even more so: its pretty par for the course that while Funimation really seems to try to get returning VAs for main roles (sure, they can't always, but they definitely put in effort), LA studios like Bang Zoom/VSI/etc... rarely ever do. (Not blaming Discotek at all btw in case someone interprets it that way).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Love Hina Again is surprising but to start here, it must mean that FUNi might still have the TV series.....and the two specials they claimed to have but never re-released.

To my recollection, they only had rights to the TV anime and "bonus episode" OVA. It's more likely Funi let their rights to the TV anime lapse. Their last video release of it was as part of their Anime Classics line back in 2011.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Memories as I never picked up the DVD, so I'll definitely add the BD to my list.
I wonder if the Urusei Yatsura TV &/or OVAs are next? (guess it depends if these do well Laughing )

Was this "panel" just some info shared in a chat or is there a video of a virtual presentation we can watch somewhere?
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Discotek licensing ANYTHING detective conan related has me feeling cautiously optimistic.

I hope that if I buy it and it sells well that they'll rescue the main series and release it proper. I don't even care about the crappy name changes- I would watch it subtitled anyway.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
Discotek licensing ANYTHING detective conan related has me feeling cautiously optimistic.

I hope that if I buy it and it sells well that they'll rescue the main series and release it proper. I don't even care about the crappy name changes- I would watch it subtitled anyway.

All names in the new dub are their Japanese original names - there's none of the original localization changes that will carry over on the Episode "One" special release:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1257009952683630592
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Nice to see Memories as I never picked up the DVD, so I'll definitely add the BD to my list.
I wonder if the Urusei Yatsura TV &/or OVAs are next? (guess it depends if these do well Laughing )

Was this "panel" just some info shared in a chat or is there a video of a virtual presentation we can watch somewhere?

This panel was held as a part of the Anime Lockdown 2020 virtual convention that was held over this weekend (May1-3) and was largely done over Twitch (with side chats/dealer room/artist alley over their Discord):

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1257061384594034689

There's no available recording at this time, but they mentioned on the stream they would individually contact each panelist, and if they're cool with posting the recording that they would put those panels online.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:34 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
I just wish the series were a little more varied. I'd love to see an old sports anime or something really girly like Lady Lady.

Agreed. Old shoujo stuff in particular definitely deserves more love. Stuff like Fancy Lala, Wedding Peach, and many other shows deserve a re-release, and shows like Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Sally the Witch, Himitsu no Akko-chan, Tokyo Mew Mew, and definitely Lady Lady deserve to be put on Blu-Ray here.'

Discotek also announced that they're no longer going to put out DVDs and putting more focus on BDs. I am kinda sad about that, as DVDs have been a big part of my life, but I do own a Blu-Ray player now, so I might as well make the transition.

The bolded though is that TMM did get its Blu-Ray release recently in JP, and I thought Discotek would have picked it up, but that would be too soon, right? Hopefully the old 52 episode series gets picked up stateside one day, considering Au-Lait (Manga), Re-Turn (Manga), and the recently announced new anime adaptation have also yet to be picked up overseas. Also, unrelated, but maybe Kaito Saint Tail to put in that list too, lol.

Either way, while I'm surprised that Discotek got S-Cry-Ed, I'm even more surprised that they even got Case Closed back. (Though I wish that they could have gotten something like Virtua Fighter or Power Stone just for kicks.)

And while I too am sad that DVD releases are being phased out from Discotek themselves, I suppose it may be a matter of time where Ultra HD BD and regular BD will just be the norm around here. That, and at least easier on shelf space, I suppose.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

This panel was held as a part of the Anime Lockdown 2020 virtual convention that was held over this weekend (May1-3) and was largely done over Twitch (with side chats/dealer room/artist alley over their Discord):

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1257061384594034689

There's no available recording at this time, but they mentioned on the stream they would individually contact each panelist, and if they're cool with posting the recording that they would put those panels online.

Thanks for the info Smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Some thoughts:
-A new dub of Conan without the Funimation names? Hmmm. I'd prefer consistancy, but oh well. And Wendee Lee as Conan? Hope it's not just her Konata voice.

Yeah, I can't help but be disappointed. I don't really like Wendee Lee's voice for that age range, but even more so: its pretty par for the course that while Funimation really seems to try to get returning VAs for main roles (sure, they can't always, but they definitely put in effort), LA studios like Bang Zoom/VSI/etc... rarely ever do. (Not blaming Discotek at all btw in case someone interprets it that way).

In this instance I don't really mind it. Maybe it's because I don't have much nostalgia for the original Case Closed but the fact that they're starting from scratch and being more accurate to the source material like with the names makes sense to me to have a new cast.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hate to seeing people, especially English speakers, still called "Case Closed" instead original title "Detective Conan". It's kinda blasphemy. It's 2020 not 2000.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Hate to seeing people, especially English speakers, still called "Case Closed" instead original title "Detective Conan". It's kinda blasphemy. It's 2020 not 2000.

Yeah, but, let people call it what they want. Same with many, many anime with people either calling either from their JP or EN title (or depending on country, a regional named title).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:42 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Well, Discotek is still sticking to "Case Closed" for this new release, so it's to be expected. Probably still a rights issue. At least the dub itself will be more accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4