• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime That Need a Reboot, Now!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
D gray man comes to mind right away.

But what I'd really like to see is the tenchI ova rebooted but given no ova ep cap. I think that is what hurt obmva 3 and 4. They had 7 and 4 ep respectively. Everything felt like an info dump and there were no eps avaliable to have the slice of life throw away ep that really worked in the first two . I think if given more ep to work with the ova version could be salvaged . Also I'd be a fan of recon some elements from the other series into the ova time line.

Others
Rosario vamp
Dn angel
Pilot candidate
Yakitate Japan
Negima
Mythical detective loki
Demon bane
Childs toy
King of bandit jing

And saving best for last record of lodoss war and crest of the stars
EB01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The ship has sailed for any new Trigun anime project, after apparently luke warm reception for Trigun: Badlands Rumble (wow has it really been 10 years since Trigun: Badlands Rumble?)

I would have liked to have seen a 'Trigun Maximum' re-do following the full manga story, though realistically it would probably be like Full Metal Alchemist where there'd be a solid core of the fanbase that will prefer the original over any re-make.

Nostalgia can be very potent.
maxhate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Apart from those mentioned in the article I'd like complete adaptations of:
Spriggan
Tough
Air Gear
Black Blood Brothers
Black Cat
City Hunter
Hajime no Ippo (more seasons)
Flame of Recca
Gangsta
Gantz
Kenichi
Princess Jellyfish
Prison School
Rurouni Kenshin
Tenjho Tenge
Gokusen
Heroic Legend of Arslan (more seasons)
xxxHOLiC
Baccano!
Blood Blockade Battlefront (more seasons)
Desert Punk (Sunabozu)
Drifters (more seasons)
Get Backers
GTO
Trigun
Trinity Blood
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Trigun! I demand a Trigun Maximum anime!

I won't be able to die happy until I hear Livio and Elendira voiced!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see a Tokyo Ghoul reboot that was actually faithful to the manga, and a Tokyo Ghoul:re reboot that wasn't rushed as hell. Also, a full Ring ni Kakero adaptation that actually covered the early chapters with Ryuji's childhood would rock.

As much as I love Bastard!!, a reboot would still reach the point where author Kazushi Hagiwara left the series hanging, just when he was finally starting to show what happened before the timeskip that occurred when the series switched magazines. I wish he'd resume and actually end this series someday.

Lastly, I strongly disagree about Chobits and Berserk needing reboots. The Chobits anime had pretty much the same ending as the manga (minus the whole thing about Chii not being able to have sex without having her brain reset), and CLAMP's Nanase Ohkawa oversaw the whole thing as far as I know. As for Berserk, much like Lord Geo, I'm not in the mood to see the Golden Age arc adapted for a third time. Just hand it over to the team at Mappa that did Dorohedoro after they're available, and have them pick up from where the GEMBA/Millepensee show left off.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
You have no idea how badly I want a Baccano reboot. There is so much source material they could adapt, and considering the massive success of Durarara, I think Narita's other work deserves a second chance. I would love an animated adaptation of the Alice in Jails arc.

I'm with you a hundred percent. I love Baccano! and it deserves a lavishly animated retelling from start to finish.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh for crying out loud, leave Berserk alone already. It'll never be what we want it to.
MozillaYaseen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="me_barron"]Yes on Soul Eater. Hope someday they do a Brotherhood on it and adapt the series proper. A little more niche, but would love a reboot of Karin (Chibi Vampire).[/quote

Why reboot?I think it was fine the way it was but i respect your opinion.What didn't you like about it?Was it the art style?]
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Chobits, well, that's a problematic one. Problematic because Chii was created not as an equal to humans but as a subservient entity, so if there was a remake in keeping with current sensibilities then it would be entirely different. Which is not at all to say it wouldn't be any good, but it wouldn't be the same story.
Lann

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano, someone get on that, stat.

And why not a fully adapted version of Hasagawa's Tenchi Muyo while we are on that? The original screenwriter for OVA 1, who continued and finished off the series in light novel format. For those in the know, the 'Daughter of Darkness' movie is a rushed adaptation of one of these novels.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Mahoraba- Heartfelt Days It would never happen but for a manga that I read many years ago, there's just so many "heartfelt things" that stuck with me yet the anime only reached one of them before ending after 26 episodes.

Another vote for Karin. There times when the anime has to go on its own and then there are times when the anime decides to go on its own and change the genre. Hey, the second way worked for Excel Saga but it didn't work here. Awesome manga, miserable show in that it's no where near as miserable as it should be. In 5 episodes, it captures the emotion of the manga perfectly but then they ran out of manga and they couldn't replicate the tone they expressed so easily?

The Slayers. A really great series, one that's funny everywhere and really excellent in parts but shouldn't it be funny in parts and excellent everywhere?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade This Time with the original ending which is not as sad as the anime (and Satella Lives)
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
My actual ideas for anime reboots are more older ones, mostly unfinished OVAs, but if I had choices for some anime to be rebooted, this is what they would be (some of my choices may be odd though):

Gall Force (maybe mostly the Eternal Story film): The sister metaseries of Bubblegum Crisis in a way, which also had Kenichi Sonoda's touch for the character designs, spoiler[and it did the whole "killing off most of the female cast" thing way before stuff like the overrated Madoka and Magical Girl Raising Project. While it had great character designs, a grade A voice cast (in the Japanese version), a great concept, a pretty cool story, and nice Star Wars and Alien references, along with a tone of both Star Wars and Star Trek combined, but for the problems it had, it wasn't just lackluster dubs, they were that the first film had TV quality animation despite it being a (direct to video?) movie (though it improved greatly in the other two films), unfortunately it didn't really focus too much on the characters to where the only one who really stood out with a real personality/development was Lufy (basically a female Han Solo and was voiced wonderfully by the late Hiromi Tsuru), if the first film's story was spread over three movies like the Star Wars trilogy or if it was a TV series that was building up to it and the other movies' story put into it], and it would be far better after the lame ass Gall Force New Era (which I consider both non-canon to the Gall Force series and The Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker of that franchise), only thing worth about that is collecting cels from it which are cheap. But either way, I think this franchise needs the same recognition Bubblegum Crisis did, if it could get a Blu-Ray set via Kickstarter or Riding Bean could get a new anime via that website with Sonoda showing he's still got the artistic talent he's always had, why not this franchise? Gall Force still had a strong fanbase back in the day though it's not as huge/active now.

Battle Skipper: Pretty much if Sailor Moon, Gundam and Thunderbirds were all in one. It had an interesting concept, but the concept itself was like, and episode 2 had a very uncomfortable thing (borderline hentai), and was riddled with terrible plot holes, plus there was never any moments where the characters could feel in danger. A proper reboot could develop the characters and such, and probably make those robots look better.

Dennou Sentai Voogie's Angel: I read most of the radio drama scripts and it's far better than the lackluster anime we got, spoiler[and even the two manga series of it, from what I could tell of it, whilst better than the anime, still disappointed in not having a satisfying conclusion, mostly only focusing on Voogie and Rebecca (voiced by Aya Hisakawa and Kotono Mitsuishi respectfully), most of the Angels' designs in the one that came before the OVA series were godawful, and its ending there felt like a bad rip-off of The End of Evangelion (and that's saying something since the Voogie's Angel manga came out ONE YEAR before End of Evangelion),] I want it to be more faithful to the original radio drama scripts, develop the characters more, and actually have an ending/conclusion!!

Fight! Iczer One: Cool horror thing, although certain scenes in it couldn't be done nowadays. And don't have it like the manga, the manga looks horrible from what I've seen of Kyoto Video's review on the Iczer One film compared to the manga, it's a case where the anime was better.

Sotsugyou: Graduation: This is another anime that should have been like a 26 episode TV series instead of an OVA, it had five schoolgirls in their graduation years, spoiler[but it only had two episodes that focused on Mami's worries about separating from her friends and Reiko's concern of her future, those two episodes would have worked more as a finale, and Mika was more of a "just there" character,] but it did have high quality art and animation, with Kazuko Tadano presenting solid character designs, and had solid voice acting with actresses like Aya Hisakawa, Yumi Tōma, Hiromi Tsuru, and Mami's even voiced by Ray the Flying Squirrel! Razz

Princess Rouge/Legend of the Last Labyrinth: While it was pretty similar to stuff like Ah! My Goddess (even had Masami Kikuchi, Keiichi's VA, in the male lead role as Yusuke Mizuki, and the dub even had both Juliet Cesario and Scott Simpson!!), it still felt like its own thing, the romantic feelings between Rouge and Yusuke didn't feel rushed, it had above average art and animation, and decent worldbuilding, but it needed to develop the characters more and had the same flaw Bleach had with showing one character's backstory only just before he drew his last breath, and there was no ending.

Hana no Asuka-gumi!/The Glorius Asuka Gang!: Originally only a 2 episode OVA, this was pretty cool in itself, a sukeban schoolgirl voiced by Hiromi Tsuru (making the list a third time) fighting against other sukeban schoolgirls, while the animation was average it still had a good story, though nothing amazing.

Project A-ko: I dunno if it would work as a new sequel or not, but it probably wouldn't hurt to see those characters again in modern times or something.

Dragon Half: Hilarious fantasy comedy, both in the anime and manga, and it sucks that it only ended at two episodes. I really liked the world building the manga has, and it even sets up certain things seen in the OVA, and if the whole manga could get released in the US now, why not make a reboot?

Hyper Doll: Funny take on the magical girl genre, only had two episodes though, and the manga was better and did a better job with characterization, a more faithful TV series manga adaptation would work.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts. It’s one of my favorite manga of all time and I would love to see it get a better anime that covers all of the manga. Also if it ever does get a reboot, I want them to bring Yuki Kajiura back to do the soundtrack. The Pandora Hearts anime was my introduction to her music and a reboot wouldn’t be nearly as good without her music.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Midori Days NEEDS a reboot. Like, I dunno about the manga and if the anime was faithful or not but, I feel a ball was dropped HARD once u finish the 1st half cus the 2nd half? It doesn't have the same feeling anymore and I hate that spoiler[Midori had to forget everything the two went through.] It was so badly done that 2nd half, that it was crap to me. I LOVE the 1st half but the 2nd half? Feels like it sucked ALL the enjoyment out of the series. I wasn't kidding when i said someone dropped the ball HARD with the 2nd half of the anime and I'd love to see the 2nd half be as great as the 1st half while changing spoiler[the ending] and am sure content was skipped so I'd love to have all the content they skipped

I also vote for an Air Gear remake, rather I'd just be happy if it continued where the anime left off and got a full adap for what we never got

Sisyphusson66 wrote:
I'll second Rosario + Vampire, it really should get a full reboot. Its story and characters are so much deeper and richer than the original anime (which I love, no matter how trash it actually is at times) displays.
As someone who read whatever SJ put in their magazine 10+ years ago, and knowing they really botched the anime's 2nd arc (Season), I 3rd a Rosario + Vampire reboot, one that is entirely faithful to the manga cus we didn't get at all what the manga got thanks to those changes and it also meant the series was unable to continue
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9