• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NHK: act-age Manga Creator Tatsuya Matsuki Arrested on Suspicion of Committing Indecent Act wi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
Dammit, again? I hope the artist makes it out of this series okay, because her art is on point, but that's quite a shame for the Act-Age series. Gotta' go cancel my pre-orders now, but the writer can rot in hell.
modernweeaboo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is so upsetting. My heart goes out to the victims, as well as to Usazaki-sensei, who deserves better and I hope that her career is able to continue and thrive. God, I just hope Matsuki is never able to attack anyone again.

As for the future of the series, I think best case scenario would be for it to continue with Usazaki and a different author but I don’t think there’s precedent for that? And least not that I’ve seen brought up. At this point, I’m counting it as a loss, which is heartbreaking but nowhere near the damage the author caused to the children he assaulted and to Usazaki. A sad, sad day.
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
I hope the actually cancel the upcoming anime and just end the manga for what this guy did he should be used as an example for one any male author tries to do this again because Not doing that is pretty much telling all future Mangaka its okay to don't shit like this......and it isn't
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I hope the actually cancel the upcoming anime and just end the manga for what this guy did he should be used as an example for one any male author tries to do this again because Not doing that is pretty much telling all future Mangaka its okay to don't shit like this......and it isn't

There never was an anime announcement, the June 1st announcement was for a stage play; act-age Manga Gets Stage Play in 2022.
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
dark13 wrote:

There never was an anime announcement, the June 1st announcement was for a stage play; act-age Manga Gets Stage Play in 2022.
Ah then, I hope the stage play just gets shelved no matter how good a manga is no one should be associated with this kind of drama I hope the artist realizes this and just start a new series with out any of this " baggage" of this title.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Many ignorant and trollish posts, and responses to those posts, are now gone. Let's get a few things clear moving forward. There will be no jokes or puns made in reference to this, or any such topic. It's beyond in bad taste. Users who try and be "funny" and make such comments will be placed on moderation. Go make ignorant and tasteless jokes elsewhere. Users who want to make blanket judgment insults towards entire groups of people will also wind up on moderation. So I suggest people stop with the "all island nations or japan allow and are fine with rape or pedophiles" comments. Lastly, let's keep this on topic and not spiraling out discussing other authors who are not related to this incident.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It’s crazy to think that the artist was only 18 when was brought onboard to the protype that would become Act-Age.

She was a only a couple years older than the victims, Jesus.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

It certainly sounds like they have him dead to rights, but it's worth remembering that the Japanese criminal justice system is even more of a horror show than the US. Their claim to have him on video is more compelling than the fact that they got him to confess.

Yeah I agree and it’s one of the reasons why I actually believe the confession in this situation: because of the existence of the video footage. He KNOWS they’ve got him, and it would be next to impossible to dispute something so damning in court. Also doesn’t help that some of his weekly ‘comments’ on WSJ, are pretty....morbid now given the situation. It’ll be interesting to see what WSJ does, because on the one hand this is a property that’s been gaining a lot of popularity recently and the artist is very much an innocent party in all of this, but at the same time there are actual victims in this situation unlike the previous cases.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointing news. Matsuki is a great writer and Act Age is a great series so it really sucks that he has turned out to be a piece of shit. This series was going places how stupid can this guy be? I feel really bad for the kids that he assaulted hopefully they are alright. And I of course feel bad for Shiro Usazaki as well. She is extremely talented and if this series would have gotten an anime she would have gained a lot of new fans, but Act Age is 100% canceled. There is no way that it will continue without Matsuki writing it, so hopefully Shueisha can find a new series and author to pair her up with or she is able to come up with something on her own. It would be a damn shame to see her fall into obscurity, because she is really talented.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I am afraid Act-age is dead, unfortunatelly, just because the writer is (self-censored)... has practically recognized having done. It's a pity because I like the story.

How can you ruin your life and your work (which, in Act-age's case, it's not just yours) acting that way?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this is just awful. It's terrible what happened to those girls and to the artist from the manga. Act-age is one of the best and most creative titles in Shonen Jump and one that was really giving space for a great artist to show her skill and now thanks to the writer being an ***hole all the good work being done there is destroyed.
tee2330

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well if this manga gets cancelled or dosen't complete it's run we'll atleast know why unlike other mangas that were cut short. I know me saying this is gonna sound bad but how many fans of act age actually want him to get more than a slap on the wrist if this was Oda I bet everyone would be saying similar stuff but would be hoping that he doesn't get seriously charged, I gotta admit I'd rather the guy get away with it than having the manga canceled, sounds like I'm being a jerk but atleast I'm sayin what I really feel how many people who're fans of act age and say that they want justice are actually just posing and saying it so they don't look bad? I doubt most people in the west actually care about getting justice and just hope that he gets a slap on the wrist so his manga can continue.

I wouldn't be saying this if he did more than touch some middle schoolers inappropriately, but the artist is gonna lose their job and a bunch of fans will see their fav manga not get an ending because some guy touched a few middle schoolers. I just felt like posting this because I was reading this and seeing the replies and I know most of the people posting probably are just saying this to make themselves look good but in reality would probably hope that the manga does not get canceled and he gets a slap on the wrist, I do and I'm not afraid to admit it, I bet most of the people who read the manga and are fans feel the same and would be pissed at me are probably hoping he'd get a slap on the wrist to.

I guess if this gets cancelled I'll have to go back to waiting a whole month for skip beat where it takes 3 chapters for anything to happen to get my acting manga fix.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
Well if this manga gets cancelled or dosen't complete it's run we'll atleast know why unlike other mangas that were cut short. I know me saying this is gonna sound bad but how many fans of act age actually want him to get more than a slap on the wrist if this was Oda I bet everyone would be saying similar stuff but would be hoping that he doesn't get seriously charged

He stalked and groped high school girls, he crossed the line by a mile. No-one here wishes for him to get just a slap, not anyone in sane mind at least.

Quote:
I gotta admit I'd rather the guy get away with it than having the manga canceled

I wouldn't be saying this if he did more than touch some middle schoolers inappropriately, but the artist is gonna lose their job and a bunch of fans will see their fav manga not get an ending because some guy touched a few middle schoolers.

You'd rather a molester walked free so you could read your manga? And belittle the crime in question? This is not fiction, you know? This is real life! Transgression was committed against real human beings of flesh and blood!
No matter how essential the author may be for the continuing existence of the manga, and no matter how good a manga(it is a very good manga), we still can't give a free pass to such wrongdoing.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
To be selfish for a moment... god dang it, this hurt. I just started to get into act-age because of how much in similarity that it was to Glass Mask, and since Glass Mask would likely never get an official English version, act-age scratched that itch that Glass Mask did and I was so excited to start collecting it now that it was coming out in print. So now because of this, there's a high risk of the series being cancelled, and that sucks. The story and characters are fantastic, and the art is some of the best I've seen, and it's a shame that now it may never reach a conclusion, and I feel so bad for the artist and team (I would assume there's a team of assistance involved, as with a lot of mangaka) involved because I worry that they may be hurt by association. I hope not, of course, but it's a fear. There's also this feeling I have in terms of support: I want to continue to buy the physical volumes, if I can, as they come out in English, but I know by doing so, it's like the money I've spent on them is going towards the author, which I definitely don't want to do, but I also want to support the artist and others that worked on the series too, because it's not fair to not support them because of one disgusting jerk. However, who knows what will happen to the series' English release now, so perhaps that's a thought for another time.

I really hope he gets punished for this, and not lightly. Because what he's done is so gross and inappropriate, and should not be treated with a light sentence. It's just frustrating that such a great work is now going to be marred by his disturbing acts.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
I...I just can't believe it. This man was on track to make the next hit of weekly shonen jump. Even if he gave up and half assed it, he would still be on track to get a anime or live action adaptation. He was going to become multi-millionaire, he was going to reach the heights of success most mangaka can only dream of. He destroyed it all, not for love, not for money, not for pride, he destroyed everything just to assault some random school girls while riding his bicycle for literally no reason. I just don't....I....why?

Literally could not have said this better myself. You give up your career, your reputation, the millions I’m almost sure he would’ve made, for what? Because you wanna go around touching little girls? That’s something I will never understand
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5