• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Rose of Versailles, Hajime no Ippo, Project A-Ko Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:32 am Reply with quote
LoopyChew wrote:
Legend of Black Heaven does not need a Blu-Ray release for any reason whatsoever. Nothing in the animation or CG merits 1080p.

I'm buying it on BD at least once. They could keep it at 480p and I'd be fine owning it on BD.

Yeah, it's early CG in a native 480 resolution, so unlike something on film where they can do a new transfer any upscale probably won't be worth it. Still, it's a great show and at least it'll be available instead of out of print.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
There's more to releasing an upscaled SD show on BD than just the video. You're also (usually) getting lossless audio tracks that are a huge step above DVD quality.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
Lupin III: Tokyo Crisis is a special I haven't seen yet, so I'm happy to buy it. Ninja Robots also looks like worth a shot.

Does anyone know if Submarine Super 99 is closer to Galaxy Railways or Cosmo Warrior Zero in terms of quality? GR was great, but CWZ was painful to watch.

I'm a little bummed that either Lupin III Part III or Part 5 wasn't among the announcements, but maybe next time.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
There's more to releasing an upscaled SD show on BD than just the video. You're also (usually) getting lossless audio tracks that are a huge step above DVD quality.

Funny thing there, Discotek actually discussed the why of SD on Blu-Ray and specifically mentioned audio.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
Does anyone know if Submarine Super 99 is closer to Galaxy Railways or Cosmo Warrior Zero in terms of quality? GR was great, but CWZ was painful to watch.

Considering it's also a Tsuburaya Eizo/Vega Entertainment production, I'd guess CWZ, but I can't say for sure, having never seen it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Discotek Media normally licenses old anime, but they grabbed Konosuba 2?! Which means that they got to the license before the original licensing company or...am I missing something?

They've done a few more recent anime… Konosuba, as you mentioned, but also Symphogear. And stuff like Hells and True Tears aren't that old.

They have also released or plan to release shows like Big Order, Isuca and Caligula, which are also newer titles. Discotek is definitely no longer the "just old anime" company.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Discotek Media normally licenses old anime, but they grabbed Konosuba 2?! Which means that they got to the license before the original licensing company or...am I missing something?

They've done a few more recent anime… Konosuba, as you mentioned, but also Symphogear. And stuff like Hells and True Tears aren't that old.

They have also released or plan to release shows like Big Order, Isuca and Caligula, which are also newer titles. Discotek is definitely no longer the "just old anime" company.

Discotek can be divide into 3 categories when it comes to releasing titles

Retro titles: They primary release old titles that were popular in previus generations
Niche titles: The also focus on releasing newer titles that nobody else seem to have bothered to licensed or did not want to.
Crunchyroll Distributor: Finally they release a few titles that crunchyroll holds the distribution too but this has been a rather slow but is now starting to go somewhere.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope they can get the French dub, that'd be epic

Still holding my hope for that. RoV deserves the best treatment.

Good to see Case Closed / Detective Conan got another film. This indicates that "Episode One" and M22 did at least moderately well to very well that they would consider another film.

Hope to see more in the future.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Sure, but that doesn't mean that upscaling the video actually makes sense and will look good for some of these early digital CG native 480 shows. Sometimes SD on BD is just as well or better than upscaling to 1080p, and you can do that entirely independently of the audio tracks. Black Heaven / Kacho Oji isn't a long show, so it's not like certain shows where SD on BD is valuable just to reduce the immense number of discs, though.
scriver058

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, Rose of Versailles and A-Ko are day damn one! Curious about the Case Closed film as well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Sure, but that doesn't mean that upscaling the video actually makes sense and will look good for some of these early digital CG native 480 shows. Sometimes SD on BD is just as well or better than upscaling to 1080p, and you can do that entirely independently of the audio tracks. Black Heaven / Kacho Oji isn't a long show, so it's not like certain shows where SD on BD is valuable just to reduce the immense number of discs, though.

Jusin Sevakis, the final Answerman himself, is notoriously picky on video that doesn't look right, since that's kind of his job & all: He gets paid to make sure an anime release is produced at the highest quality possible, and that includes making sure the video looks great. If Justin says that Black Heaven (surprisingly) upscaled well enough to be worth releasing like that, then I'll trust his word on it.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the announcements, the Case Closed one was the only one that didn't have a year attached to it. So how soon is "soon"?
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
Oh my flipping goodness, bless their souls, because I was having a hard time finding Fujko and worried about BeruBara.

Also wild to see Genocyber on there since I came across it for the first time just recently. I won't waste my time watching it, but it's interesting to have those hyper-violent, 80s living on lol. (Can we get Detonator Orgun too?)
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Quote:
I just hope they can get the French dub, that'd be epic

Still holding my hope for that. RoV deserves the best treatment.

Good to see Case Closed / Detective Conan got another film. This indicates that "Episode One" and M22 did at least moderately well to very well that they would consider another film.

Hope to see more in the future.

I just hope they get Magic Kaito 1412 that is one of the best anime I've watched I was shocked it was never released stateside probably cause its a DC spinoff and no one is interested with anything DC except Discotek cause of how expansive it is. So here is hoping they release all the movies with him in it. tbh I don't care too much for DC aside from Kaito Kid's appearances which are like 30 something episodes out of 980.
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
Late to this announcement, but I will be double dipping with RoV despite being quite happy with the DVDs--it's an all time fave, so I can't help myself. I grew up with the French dub which isn't... great. Why do so many want it?

I know it's never gonna happen, but I wish they would release a BD of the other Ikeda/Dezaki show (especially since they really seem to like releasing Dezaki's work)--Oniisama E. I know it got an extremely limited DVD release some years back, which I completely missed out on (seriously, I was out of the country and mostly away from the internet for nearly a year and the release came and went during that time-- argh...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4