• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I was not expecting to hear anything good about Dr. Ramune, but "less depressing Hell Girl" is actually a pretty strong compliment. I'll see if I can get past the mayo.

There are a few other food-where-it-shouldn't-be episodes that I found hard to stomach as well, so be warned. But I was also surprised that it pulled things off as well as it did. Once the twin time eaters of Passover and Preview Guide are over with, I'm planning to write a review.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
There are a few other food-where-it-shouldn't-be episodes that I found hard to stomach as well, so be warned. But I was also surprised that it pulled things off as well as it did. Once the twin time eaters of Passover and Preview Guide are over with, I'm planning to write a review.
I look forward to it! (Also, nice pun.)

I assumed it had to be popular for something besides gross-outs, just on principle, so it's good to know that's not the main course. I get squeamish about some things, but can otherwise handle a lot as long as I have an idea what's on the menu.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Best: Probably Wonder Egg Priority. If nothing else, it grabbed me enough to make me watch every episode as it came out, which I've only had time to do for a few shows this season. Molcar and Kemono Jihen are also up there.

Runner Up: Either Jujutsu Kaisen or Back Arrow. Neither is the deepest or most original thing in the world, but both have been great to put on during workouts.
Special shoutout to Mushoku Tensei's production values. (A non-CGI dragon that actually moves is a rare treat, even if it's only in one scene.)

Worst: Ex-Arm is the obvious choice, but I want to catch up on just how disappointing things like Promised Neverland get before deciding.

Aside from that:
Quote:
another show starring a sex criminal that I actually enjoy, the Monogatari series' opening statement is a lavishly-framed scene of Hanekawa's exposed underwear

Is this true? I only read two of the books, and that was admittedly a while ago, but both parts of this statement are not at all the impression I had of them. Is the anime very different, do the books go in a weird direction, or am I just misremembering?
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
You know I'm kinda worried about Dupree's health based on that image
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Redo of Healer - Outside of the stuff that we all know everyone is hating on, my biggest complaint is the musical interludes, whose sole purpose are placeholders for the more 'adult' content that will probably replace the placeholder musical interludes. I am a sucker for dark revenge stories and this one takes the cake. It is most definitely not for everyone for a variety of reasons, not just one.

I know this isn't what you meant, but picturing a version of Redo where all the objectionable scenes are replaced with Broadway style song & dance numbers made me giggle.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Aside from that:
Quote:
another show starring a sex criminal that I actually enjoy, the Monogatari series' opening statement is a lavishly-framed scene of Hanekawa's exposed underwear

Is this true? I only read two of the books, and that was admittedly a while ago, but both parts of this statement are not at all the impression I had of them. Is the anime very different, do the books go in a weird direction, or am I just misremembering?[/quote]

This comparison is completely uncalled for. You wouldn’t even have read of Hanekawa’s panty shot in the Bakemonogatari novels, because it’s not in there. It’s in Kizumonogatari.
Opening Bakemonogatari with a panty shot scene from another novel has two effect. It misleads the watchers into thinking that there is gratuitous fan service in the show, when it is in reality the only anime I have seen so far where each and every scene with sexual innuendo actually has a further meaning. Secondly, it makes it an anime that is starting with a scene that turns out to be of immense importance for the whole story - only that this isn’t explained until several seasons and years later!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
I know this isn't what you meant, but picturing a version of Redo where all the objectionable scenes are replaced with Broadway style song & dance numbers made me giggle.
Redo is not a comedy, but depending on how you approach it, it can be a source of a great deal of humor.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Mushoku Tensei was the best this season. I am more engaged with characters that are not likable than ones with zero flaws and are just blank slates for boring unfunny comedy.

Other than that, its been a solid year for continuations. Both Slime and Dr Stone new seasons were solid entries, and then there is log horizon which floundered a little bit, but not terribly.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Dosmundos wrote:
Secondly, it makes it an anime that is starting with a scene that turns out to be of immense importance for the whole story - only that this isn’t explained until several seasons and years later!

To be fair, the plans were to have Kizumonogatari available as an anime far earlier than what we actually got.

I think the comparison is actually rather apt of having Araragi as a 'pervert lolicon' MC in contrast with Rudy. It shows you that it's not just the fact that Rudy is a pervert lolicon that put people off of that work, when the same people like Araragi. Presentation, tone, etc plays a huge role.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
I look forward to it! (Also, nice pun.)

I assumed it had to be popular for something besides gross-outs, just on principle, so it's good to know that's not the main course. I get squeamish about some things, but can otherwise handle a lot as long as I have an idea what's on the menu.

All of the ailments express themselves as food where it shouldn't be, except one (which was something else where food should be). Smile As weird as it was, I rather enjoyed that aspect of it. And I really adored the leisurely finale, which is so rare these days when series are usually scrambling like mad to wrap things up at the last minute.

I forgot to mention in my category of Many Happy Returns is the continuation of World Trigger, which I never expected to see. And I'm especially delighted that they don't seem to be completely ratf-king it this time like they did the first season. They've actually put some money into it this time so the fight scenes are great and we don't have to sit through seconds-long static still-frames. Yay!
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Best: Attack on Titan: The Final Season
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. The only thing I can say against it is, too bad the manga series end will come out before the anime conclusion does, because its going to be a really difficult few months trying to avoid the spoilers.

Runner-Up: So I'm a Spider, So What?
Just about the only way to get me to watch Isekai nowadays is if it has a healthy dose of humor mixed in with the inevitable angst. Not a big fan of the human-world storyline, but I am wondering what will happen when Kumoko finally does meet up with the rest of her class, including her tormentor. Looking forward to the 2nd half of this series.

Honorable Mentions
Horimiya, Dr. Stone: Stone Wars, Re:Zero s2 pt II, B:The Beginning s2 pt. I, Jujutsu Kaisen, High Rise Invasion.

Dropped:
Back Arrow, Jobless Reincarnation

Watched But Can't Recommend:
Promised Neverland s2

Biggest Disappointment: Ex-Arm
I have a huge soft spot for Ghost in the Shell and Psycho Pass style cyberpunk, so this series immediately sparked my interest when it was announced. The manga raws looked great, so if the studio had just offered us a decently animated product in the style of the manga, I probably would have been content. But no, they had to go with... whatever this was. I agree with whoever said that this series was what happens when you make the absolute wrong decision at every level of the production process. Ex-Arm was inept at every level of production; from animation, direction, writing, even the voice acting, the entire production felt like it was produced by a team of people who were just in it to fill out a contract. I doubt anyone except possibly the original mangaka cared about this series, and it really shows. I feel really sorry for the original creators of Ex-Arm. because they clearly deserved better than this.

Worst: Redo of Healer
This season's other big problem child. While the animation itself was mostly decent, the direction was abysmal and the pacing was all over the place. The hentai aspects were probably about the only draw this series had, and honestly, setting aside how problematical they were, the biggest weakness for most of those scenes were that they were just boring. And on top of all that, the series stars probably the least sympathetic MC since School Days. I find nothing even remotely commendable with this series, and consign it to the dumpster where it belongs.

Overall, this was a heck of a good season, and a great start for 2021. Looking forward to where we go from here, because its looking more and more like this cour was just the warm-up act.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I find it interesting that kemono jihen and wonder egg deal with similar if not overlapping themes , the former is mentioned only once , whIle the latter is mentioned on pretty much everyones list . Krmono to me looks visually better, has a great soundtrack , imo much more likeable characters across the board , and would still stand as a solid mystery horror without its deep topics .

Honestly the main difference to me is the sexual makeup of the cast and whose consequentially the victim. I suppose you can take that for what you will.

It appears on 3/8 of the entries.

Quote:
Quote:

Is this true? I only read two of the books, and that was admittedly a while ago, but both parts of this statement are not at all the impression I had of them. Is the anime very different, do the books go in a weird direction, or am I just misremembering?

There's been various criticisms about the main character of the series and how Koyomi specifically interacts with Mayoi, a fifth-grade girl. This is what the "sex criminal" part is alluding to. It doesn't go into much detail bc it was being used as framing in general.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Best: Wonder Egg Priority. It may have been overly ambitious and messy, but I'll gladly take shooting for the stars over just going through the motions of whatever adaptation a production committee feels like throwing your way. Just concerned about when we will actually see the ending (next episode is not the actual finish, just labelled as episode 12 because of the recap they were forced to do) and how people's perceptions will be colored by thinking that tomorrow's episode actually is just it.

Worst: WIXOSS Diva(A)Live. There are obviously shows that were more technically terrible (hi Ex-Arm), but this was a unique kind of disappointing. What a world of difference 6 years makes. We went from a unique and captivating take on card game anime, backed by a strong aesthetic vision from the industry's best background artists in their prime, to an idol show that treads no new ground.
dmanatunga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
There was no show that I consistently looked forward to and loved more than Non Non Biyori Non-Stop. Anytime I was feeling down and out, watching an episode would always make the day better. It kinda sucks how it isn't really talked about anywhere, though I do understand it can be hard to review.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the only thing I've actually seen from this season has been the part of Attack on Titan that's aired on Toonami thus far, but that would easily top my favorites list for what a revelation it's been. I'm enjoying the series now for completely-different reasons than I did at the start, and I can't think of another piece of fiction I've come across that's undergone such a dramatic shift in focus and theme and pulled it off so successfully. I can't wait to see how deep into darkness it'll descend.

Other than that, Wonder Egg looks like one of those shows that I'll blind-buy in a sale someday because it sounds like it's up my alley. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing season 2 of Dr. Stone show up on Toonami, hopefully sooner than later, and even more dreading having to be subjected to TPN season 2. God I hope they don't chase after Yashahime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6