• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Link Click (ONA) - "Anime with Chinese Characteristics"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 5
This episode was hard to watch... I feel they still tried to be a bit "respectful" with the way they showed the violence graphically, but they sure "did a good job" with the sounds. It was a hard episode to listen to.

I thought and commented about this before, but the way Lu Guang works with Xiaoshi is so irresponsible! He should prepare Xiaoshi for what he will find and had to do BEFORE entering the photo, the way he lets Xiaoshi goes bling is criminal!
This time they had the excuse that Lu was hurt and couldn't see everything that happened in the photo, because if he could had seem normally in no way he should allow Xiaoshi to enter the photo.
Think about it, letting Xiaoshi enter a photo as a little girl to see her parents being killed!

There's so many grave details about this... again, the history is really going with "the past can't be changed"? Everything that will happen is already accounting for Xiaoshi entering photos and changing the past? Xiaoshi and Lu Guang are actually powerless? They can go to the past but the present is already the future?

PLEASE LI HAOLING! DEFY DESTINY AND SAVE EMMA!

Now, let's try not to think until last week if Xiaoshi killed someone...
But my bet it's not, option that would be just as much dire, because I suspect Xixi knows she as possessed by him at that moment and will question why he didn't did anything to save her mother.

Oh, other thing, the scenes with her brother and the things he says makes me thing that I may be right about his "warped sense of justice" being exploited by Jin Qian.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was a hard one, but I thought they handled it quite well, communicating the horror and helplessness without it feeling exploitative. I also thought the juxtaposition of the real-life violence with the "kill 'em all!" online violence was brilliant. I have some thoughts about what the point of that was, but I think I'll wait to hear what y'all thought they were trying to do.

And as usual, the BGM and sound design were impeccable and perfectly integrated to heighten the emotional content. Just an all around amazing episode.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on in the ED images? I can't really piece together a story there yet, though the final schematic looks much like H.G. Wells' Time Machine.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
The fifth episode was hard to watch, but it was kind of exactly what I liked about this series, the peep into the life of someone else, regardless of how hard that would be. I was actually about to just drop the show after the first few episodes of this season not doing much for me. Watching a realistic depiction of domestic violence is not fun, but I can add it onto the overworked office lady, earthquake victim, restaurant owner who separated from her friend, and abducted boy, for things that left an impact on me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode

Okay, the girl can possess people, with her likely doing this to her mother in grabbing the hammer to fight against her father, she did have a picture of herself and her mother in her hands. And the interference of here using a power at least very similar to Xiaoshi while already using that power caused him to get kicked out. It kind of feels like they are pushing that her childhood trauma turned her into a crazy killer, but at the same time that there are factors that don't entirely add up.

Could it be her brother that became the more twisted one and is doing the killings? I am a little confused with details, has the implication that the killer the guy in glasses? Could he be the brother that got hit in the head by a hammer? Xiaoshi looked like he was trying to escape with her, which I would like to believe that maybe he wants to protect her from unjustified danger.

Wait, again been confused, taking it the other way can she actually do what Lu Guang can do, seeing the details of people through a photograph? How is ability works has felt a bit ill defined, but being able to see in 1st can be kind of the deal, so it was Lu Guang seeing through Xiaoshi seeing through the girl, seeing through the mother, and that was just one too many to make the thing on their side collapse? Or I am overthinking things.

Also, this show is set in China, right? Would the one child policy have had any impact on there being siblings?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 am Reply with quote
The policy ended in 2016, or rather you're allowed up to 3 children now, fwiw. But even under the policy, it was actually "one pregnancy," so there was no penalty for twins, triplets, etc. I don't know how fertility treatments, which tend to favor multiples, factored into that though (but I don't think it's relevant to this story).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:09 am Reply with quote
S2 Ep 9 - 10
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...since hooded person was apparently the one possessing [Bin] to get the phone, I just assumed there was no reason for thug to personally toss him after he got the phone. Just jump and bail from the possession.

Hey, I was right after all!

They really pulled out the artistic stops for Ep 9! I loved the b/w, heavy-shadows style and then the fairy tale animation! I feel like I need to go back over the episode to determine exactly what the gradual colorization of the b/w segments signified. I'm sure that wasn't just a stylistic flourish.

I think I understand how the team-possession works, but that was a lot of info dropped so I probably don't get it at all. I've already reached my quota for being right about something. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:54 am Reply with quote
Season finale (I assume. Hope there will be a season 3!)

They wrapped almost everything up, though I'm definitely going to need to rewatch the whole season again to pin everything down. And naturally they threw me one more curve, so I was kinda right about Bin, but still wrong. Smile Ah, Link Click, why you do me that way?

I'm still confused about the older boy in the park. I thought he turned out to be Liu Min, the blond paraplegic guy, but apparently not. His brother? I guess they're both "Mr. Liu." So much has happened in the weeks since he was originally around that I just can't keep it in my head.

I did realize while it was happening that something was up during that fight though. There was a moment where Cheng is rising up where it was like they repeated frames. I ran it back to see, and it wasn't quite that, but that the camera followed him down and rising a second time. I think that's where Lu stepped in? I dunno, no yellow eyes. This is also the first time we've learned that he can do that too! But what photo could he have used?

Dusky, you had half of this figured out weeks ago, so maybe you can 'splain it all to me. Smile Ima rewatch it all again anyway though. I love this show to bits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3