• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
So the queen thing is a play on words. Lena (pronunced reina in japanese) is also spanish for queen, so she earned the nickname "Bloody Reina", or the Bloodstained Queen cause of her viciousness in battle. I don't think this will be explained yet though.

Regina is Latin for queen, not Reina. If it's supposed to be a play on words it's one hell of a stretch going Vladilena -> Lena -> Reina -> Regina -> Queen

And considering that the entire first season was 1 volume it's kind of pointless to say these things addressed in Vol. 7, that's way past the scope of this series as an anime.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Muteking probably on track to be the best show of the season nobody watches.

86 I expect to get better from here. The first season was, ehhh, more or less fine, but probably three or four episodes too long - it felt like it kept repeating itself and wasn't terribly clever about it. But it was one of those things where you could tell this was going to lead into a different next part, so I'm glad we're finally there. Promising start.

I am a member of the Yashahime Is Fine, Yeesh club. Seeing as how it's continuing on its merry way regardless of anything, I can't complain too much.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
09jcg wrote:
So the queen thing is a play on words. Lena (pronunced reina in japanese) is also spanish for queen, so she earned the nickname "Bloody Reina", or the Bloodstained Queen cause of her viciousness in battle. I don't think this will be explained yet though.

Regina is Latin for queen, not Reina. If it's supposed to be a play on words it's one hell of a stretch going Vladilena -> Lena -> Reina -> Regina -> Queen
Yes I know, I edited my post. Had a brain fart and I read the novel a while ago. Stretch or not, it is what it is. The wordplay is canon, though the scene where it pops up was the volume 1 epilogue and was cut from the anime (probably moved to later this season) since it would spoil the entire season.

Here's a quote from the wiki if youre interested

Quote:
Bloody Reina is a play on her full name of Vladilena and her moniker of "The Bloodstained Queen". The original Japanese was written as Bloody Regina (鮮血の女王ブラッディレジーナ, Buraddirejīna). The Latin word Regina was substituted with the Spanish word Reina in the English translation, as the translator felt that Bloody Reina was phonetically closer to Vladilena.

https://86-eighty-six.fandom.com/wiki/Vladilena_Milizé#cite_note-V1E1-1

Quote:
And considering that the entire first season was 1 volume it's kind of pointless to say these things addressed in Vol. 7, that's way past the scope of this series as an anime.
I hardly think it's pointless. The series can't cover all aspects of racism at all times and the way this story unfolds (unless they plan to change stuff up which is always possible) the opportunity to address "White Savior" stuff won't present itself just yet. If it's not for you, then it's not for you but it is just the first episode. You're misinterpreting the Queen thing as condoning white saviorism which is an inaccurate interpretation, based on the content within the books. Perhaps the show needs to do a better job of making that clear but the Lena stuff was essentially an anime original teaser for what Lena becomes.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I do hope someone talks about PriMagi. I just watched Episode 1 and loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
09jcg wrote:

Yes I know, I edited my post. Had a brain fart and I read the novel a while ago. Stretch or not, it is what it is. The wordplay is canon, though the scene where it pops up was the volume 1 epilogue and was cut from the anime (probably moved to later this season) since it would spoil the entire season.

Here's a quote from the wiki if youre interested

Quote:
Bloody Reina is a play on her full name of Vladilena and her moniker of "The Bloodstained Queen". The original Japanese was written as Bloody Regina (鮮血の女王ブラッディレジーナ, Buraddirejīna). The Latin word Regina was substituted with the Spanish word Reina in the English translation, as the translator felt that Bloody Reina was phonetically closer to Vladilena.

https://86-eighty-six.fandom.com/wiki/Vladilena_Milizé#cite_note-V1E1-1

Quote:
I hardly think it's pointless. The series can't cover all aspects of racism at all times and the way this story unfolds (unless they plan to change stuff up which is always possible) the opportunity to address "White Savior" stuff won't present itself just yet. If it's not for you, then it's not for you but it is just the first episode. You're misinterpreting the Queen thing as condoning white saviorism which is an inaccurate interpretation, based on the content within the books. Perhaps the show needs to do a better job of making that clear but the Lena stuff was essentially an anime original teaser for what Lena becomes.

Fair. I don't mean to come across as too negative, I'm just disappointed that I'm much less excited for this season after this episode than I was 3 months ago when season one ended. Maybe I'll be able to get more into it next episode, or maybe I'll just end up appreciating the first season as a self contained story.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:48 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

And if your only recourse to criticism is "well Inuyasha was never good in the first place!", that's a pretty damning indictment of Yashahime.

What I said was that Inuyasha was (mostly) bad and Yashahime is fine. The original was a very popular D+ show and the sequel is a less popular C+ show. But there are tons of C+ anime so it's funny to me that ANN's reviewers act like this particular one is the downfall of the medium itself.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

And if your only recourse to criticism is "well Inuyasha was never good in the first place!", that's a pretty damning indictment of Yashahime.

What I said was that Inuyasha was (mostly) bad and Yashahime is fine. The original was a very popular D+ show and the sequel is a less popular C+ show. But there are tons of C+ anime so it's funny to me that ANN's reviewers act like this particular one is the downfall of the medium itself.

I’m still watching Inuyasha and I really like it; it appeals to my romantic side. I have no judgement on Yashahime since I haven’t seen it, and I just wanna check it out after I finish Inuyasha and judge for myself. Maybe I’ll love it, maybe I’ll hate it, but I’m not gonna base my opinion on anything but my own viewing.

On another note, I’m sad that Caitlin didn’t care for PriMagi. I really loved Episode 1; girls who find the courage to chase their dreams? YES! And the shoujo rainbow sparkle is so my thing. I’m glad Richard liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Mieruko-chan feels like one of those fetish shows. It wasn’t bad but I feel like the show’s not meant for me…
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Mieruko-chan feels like one of those fetish shows. It wasn’t bad but I feel like the show’s not meant for me…

The manga started out like that too, but did move away from it in the first volume, so the anime may get better on that front, too.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The manga started out like that too, but did move away from it in the first volume, so the anime may get better on that front, too.

Ah ok. I’ll stick with it for now.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
Restaurant To Another World is a good show to watch while eating. It doesn't have anything gory or offensive and you're going to get hungry watching it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the gang from Mushoku Tensei back, and I'm glad the production values were top-notch again. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and I bet there are cameos among them this time too. And the ED was especially nice.

Waiting for the review before commenting further so I don't spoiler the first episode...
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Probably because Yashahime isn't a "C+ show", and luckily very few people seem to think so other than you. And once again, it is telling that your defense of the show isn't what it does well, but trying to say "the franchise was never good in the first place" (while ignoring the whole part about how nostalgia plays no factor in how bad Yashahime is). Almost like there's little defendable about Yashahime's horrid pacing, characterization, plotting, and static animation.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
RE: Tricornered Window and innuendo

I don’t think innuendo is the right word for what goes on in the episode in question. Innuendo would be the implication of sex, but these are acts from which Mikado derives very real erotic pleasure, just without the physical manifestation of said pleasure. That Mikado doesn’t get erect is why he can brush it off as not counting as actual sex, but there’s no indication that his new boss feels the same way Mikado does about it or thinks of it as akin to bad pick up lines.

It’s really more like a culture clash. Imagine you run into someone whose culture says that holding hands is a sexual act. They then proceed to hold your hand frequently without explaining that this is what it means to them. Holding hands with them feels great, but there’s still that disconnect for you personally.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RE: Tricornered Window and innuendo

I don’t think innuendo is the right word for what goes on in the episode in question. Innuendo would be the implication of sex, but these are acts from which Mikado derives very real erotic pleasure, just without the physical manifestation of said pleasure. That Mikado doesn’t get erect is why he can brush it off as not counting as actual sex, but there’s no indication that his new boss feels the same way Mikado does about it or thinks of it as akin to bad pick up lines.

It’s really more like a culture clash. Imagine you run into someone whose culture says that holding hands is a sexual act. They then proceed to hold your hand frequently without explaining that this is what it means to them. Holding hands with them feels great, but there’s still that disconnect for you personally.

Definitely a fair point. I was looking at it from a viewer's perspective, but if we look at it from the characters' points of view, you're right - it's much more straightforward. This is very much one of those stories where the angle you approach it from can make a very big difference; one of these days I'll find the right happy medium! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17