• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Komi Can't Communicate All Laughs and No Heart?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:
I actually would recommend people stick with the manga/anime and get to the point where they become second years. You could also just skip to second year in the manga, if the first year characters really bother you that much (but I wouldn’t really recommend it.) [/spoiler]

If I have to slog through presumably 1/3 of a series "to get to the good part" it's probably not a series worth putting my time into. I've watched a few episodes, it's made it's impressions, and I'm not a fan. There are dozens more gag/romcom/sol/girl-with-weird-friends series out there that I could give a try instead.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
meiam wrote:
I feel like the real problem with Komi isn't her anxiety (which we see she can overcome really easily in the first episode), she's just very stupid, and it makes it really uncomfortable to laugh at the situation she gets in. Like she goes to startbuck and she has to order a complex drink. She could easily write it down in advance and just pass the note to the person (something she know she can do since she just had a long written conversation with the main character despite not knowing him). But she... doesn't even think about that. It could be funny if she had an inner monologue where she'd be all haughty and think really highly of herself, but instead she look like a poor defenseless bunny and seem to be in constant state of panic. It feel like the show and character around her are just constantly punching down at her. It's really a shame cause the production value are really good and heroically trying to carry the show.

How would her sticking to writing the drink order down and handing it to the barista help her with her communication? Wouldn't it be more beneficial if she learned to get over her anxiety and talk to people other than Tadano?

She already can get over her communication really easy, she talked to Tadano almost right after meeting him (I'd need to re watch but it's possible Tadano talked to her less than that Barista when she went to starbuck). She's just too dumb to realize she can communicate in writing with other people too.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

She already can get over her communication really easy, she talked to Tadano almost right after meeting him (I'd need to re watch but it's possible Tadano talked to her less than that Barista when she went to starbuck). She's just too dumb to realize she can communicate in writing with other people too.

It's repeatedly both shown and stated that Komi can't just "get over her communication really easily". It takes time for her to actually say something to Tadano with her words rather than through writing, and even then it clearly takes her a lot of effort to do so. She mainly sticks to writing when communicating with people she's gotten more comfortable with, which is likely why she didn't use writing when she went to Starbucks.

In regards to my own opinions about the anime...I am enjoying it so far, even if the side characters tend to be a bit too gimmicky. I've heard Agari's character eventually moves away from the whole masochism thing, so I'm holding out hope for that. I'm not sure if I'll end up enjoying the anime enough to read the manga as well, so I'll just have to wait and see about that.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The impression I got from Ep 1 was that her writing things down wasn’t the “solution” to her problem, and her conversation with Tadano wasn’t actually “easy”, but that it was instead a combination of factors on top of the writing idea that contributed to her being able to converse with him, such as that she was alone with him, that he could also read her body language, that she felt an obligation to help him, that she hadn’t to her knowledge done anything to offend him, and so on. In other words, her being able to overcome her anxiety and communicate doesn’t just depend on how she does it, but the entire amorphous context in which she does it.
StarDango

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:

If I have to slog through presumably 1/3 of a series "to get to the good part" it's probably not a series worth putting my time into. I've watched a few episodes, it's made it's impressions, and I'm not a fan. There are dozens more gag/romcom/sol/girl-with-weird-friends series out there that I could give a try instead.

You do you, but you are missing out imo. I don’t agree with that sentiment cause it doesn’t give creators and mangaka the benefit of improving their writing as it goes.

A lot of the things people criticize about Komi does get toned down over time. Even near the end of the first year. Once the second year comes around, some older characters still show up but since we don’t see them every chapter, their gags are easier to laugh at.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:30 am Reply with quote
Komi, it's not the quantity of friends ya can count; it's the quality of friends ya can count on
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
Seems to me it's not even 'laughs'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3