• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Chainsaw Man Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyzinny

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
Give us a fricking date MAPPA I'm tired
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
jimmyzinny wrote:
Give us a fricking date MAPPA I'm tired

I bet they are too
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
Lord Seth wrote:
JustMonika wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
So, honest question.

Has there ever been a non-sequel anime that was more anticipated than this one?

Just to name a few for this year

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki
My Dress-Up Darling
Akebi's Sailor Uniform
Summer Time Render
Spy X Family
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Love After World Domination
A Couple of Cuckoos
When Will Ayumu Make His Move?
My Step-sister is My Ex-girlfriend
Engage Kiss
Call of the Night
Shine Post
Extreme Hearts
While some of those had some anticipation, the question was what other series was more anticipated than Chainsaw Man. The only one on that list that could plausibly be considered to be even close to the amount of anticipation that Chainsaw Man is getting, let alone being more anticipated, would be Spy x Family.

For some objective data, the number of "members" for series on My Anime List can help gauge popularity. Obviously this isn't so useful for comparing current series to much older ones, but right here we're talking about just the recent past so it's fine. Chainsaw Man (without having aired) has 400k. The only non-sequel series from this year that have more than that are My Dress-Up Darling (653k) and Spy x Family (656k), both of which of course aired which gave them a big boost in popularity. No other non-sequel series from this year, even after airing, is close to that number for Chainsaw Man. In case anyone is wondering, looking up older versions of the pages, My Dress-Up Darling had less than 100k before airing while Spy x Family had a little more than 200k, so both were still less than Chainsaw Man.

I figured as much but I was just basing it on my personal taste. I'm not as big into action as most Americans are. I'd take Love Live over Jujutsu Keisen any day to be honest. I do love some series with action though such as Date A Live which is my all-time favorite series and loving the hell out of the currently airing 4th season.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
I figured as much but I was just basing it on my personal taste.

I wasn't asking about any one person's level of anticipation.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Dynamo- wrote:
Don’t really understand the hype around this, seems like a strange concept I’d probably not like if it takes itself to seriously.

The manga exists and is "complete", so people know what they are getting. A new manga sequel has also been announced since then.

It is an action/horror/comedy. Similar to something like Hellsing. Or Dorohedoro. So there is plenty to levity if that floats your boat.

RockSplash wrote:

Historically, anime that is popular in the west is action oriented, and Gory as well. AOT, Demon Slayer, cowboy bebop, etc. Chainsaw man is a hit due to its social themes(heavily inspired by devilman) and its great characters and action. Also, this is purely speculation, but chainsaw man blew up in the last 2 years. The story's pessimism may felt relatable to many who really did not see the positives In.humanity to a degree.

Interesting.. I hated devil man but loved hellsing.
cgggguvu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
The_Daytona_500 wrote:
Alphonae wrote:
>Crunchyroll announced on Monday that it will stream the television anime of Tatsuki Fujimoto's Chainsaw Man manga later this year in over 200 countries and territories around the world.
There's 197 countries in this world. What the fudge.

There's around 262 though...

The problem is crunchyroll is only available in United States, Spain, Germany, italy, Brazil, Netherlands. They even say that it's available in asia but it's region lock and its a scam
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:16 am Reply with quote
At the users blaming Netflix for JJBA's release schedule.

Blame Davids Production instead. They have the power to dictate to NF when they are ready to release, NF is just paying them so they can stream it. NF would want to release it as soon as possible because it's a massive hit.

It doesn't help that they already working on; Urusei Yatsura, Spriggan and Ensemble Stars!! Road to Show!! which is obviously swamping them in work and most likely caused them to delay JJ's until later in the year.
Ninten

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
Moexraven wrote:
The_Daytona_500 wrote:
Alphonae wrote:
>Crunchyroll announced on Monday that it will stream the television anime of Tatsuki Fujimoto's Chainsaw Man manga later this year in over 200 countries and territories around the world.
There's 197 countries in this world. What the fudge.

There's around 262 though...

The problem is crunchyroll is only available in United States, Spain, Germany, italy, Brazil, Netherlands. They even say that it's available in asia but it's region lock and its a scam
It's available in France too and I'm pretty sure in way more countries than what you're saying
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:
Interesting.. I hated devil man but loved hellsing.

While thematically it's similar to Devilman, in that an ordinary guy gets the power of a devil and has to deal with the ramifications, tonally and stylistically it's a lot closer to Hellsing, particularly in its comedy. Also Hellsing's premise matches up closer to Chainsaw Man than Devilman, where Victoria finds herself totally screwed and becomes a vampire at the last moment in order to survive, then has no choice other than to join a supernatural militant organization to continue to live in the world, it's the same with the circumstances of Chainsaw Man.

If you liked Hellsing, I think you will like this, judging by the manga; though a lot also depends on how it's adapted by MAPPA. But I think it's safe to say it'll be great and they'll do the source material justice since it's a big popular property.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad that Crunchyroll got their hands on this show instead of Netflix. No Netflix jail for Chainsaw Man thankfully. But like other people on this forum have asked, when are they finally going to give us a release date? This anime was announced way back 2020 and they still haven't given us a release date yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3