• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Maid I Hired Recently Is Mysterious

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I'm glad we're finally getting some answers to the "mystery" surrounding Lilith, and that Yuuri is finally moving past his "Ayashii!" phase. On the other... c'mon, you know as well as I that Tsukasa was totally gaslighting Yuuri just now, regardless of whether or not her intuition was correct.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I appreciated getting to see Lilith and Fujisaki and casual clothes (and school uniforms!) and that we got a confession in episode 8.

Now all we need is explanation for the backstory between Lilith and Yuuri and exactly what is going on with Lilith and this other maid Natsume.
mironicus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Now all we need is explanation for the backstory between Lilith and Yuuri.

Well, in the dream sequence Yuuri was putting the flower ring on the correct finger - partnership.

That just could mean that he already proposed to Lilith in their past relationship and she agreed.

And Lilith seems to rely on this old connection with him, so she does not think of him as a child, she thinks of him as her fiancé, partner and future husband... already.

They are flirting like newly-weds, she treats him like a husband and she behaves like a wife... already.

She became his maid to recover the old relationship so she is doing anything in her power to make him fall in love with her again. With cooking, cleaning, wearing a sexy maid outfit with a corset that let her chest stick out more and with a high knowledge about everything that makes him feel good she is able to make him lovesick. Twisted Evil

Just remember what Lilith said in episode 2: "I'll tame you and make you mine."
She is in the position to do that. As his maid and caretaker she is in the position of constantly giving, while Yuri as a child is mainly on the receiving end. And as long he was clueless about love and making him believe that she put a curse on him (which just means "You are mine") she had the upper hand in their relationship. Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 am Reply with quote
I like what Natsume brings to the table. She's an incompetent maid (but that's part of why she and Lilith bonded), but her reactions to Yuuri and Lilith's relationship and her own feelings for Lilith add a fun new dynamic to things...especially when Yuuri is as bold and honest as he's always been.
mironicus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:59 am Reply with quote
@Review episode 10

Quote:
The only weird sticking point of the episode for me is regarding how Yuuri doesn't feel comfortable keeping secrets from Lilith, even if it's an innocent one like trying to surprise her with a Christmas party. That certainly speaks to Yuuri's more innocent and straightforward nature—it makes sense and is totally in character for him to almost be incapable of telling a lie

What is weird about that this is a great proof how much he loves Lilith and she knows now that he would never lie or betray her even for the tiniest reasons - probably in his entire life.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
I do think they've backtracked a little on Yuuri's perception of "love" here. When he confessed, it seemed he realized he was confessing his romantic love, but now he's going on about Natsume loving Lilith and Fujisaki loving Gojouin.
It's nice in its way, because they can go back to him being more innocent again, but still, it's a tease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mironicus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The episode literally ends with Lilith hoping that Yuuri will still like her even when he finds out more about her and all the while I am sitting here screaming at my monitor “WHY DON'T YOU JUST TALK TO HIM?”.

Lilith always has secrets and don't give any answers about herself to Yuuri the whole time until he figures something out and make her confess.

In episode 6 her sickness revealed something important about her personality: She is totally afraid of being disliked/useless and abandoned for the most simple reasons and Yuuri had to confirm that he won't fire her because she became sick for one single day. She completely lost the confidence in herself at that time.

She don't want to loose Yuuri so she don't tell anything about herself that "might" hurt their relationship. She is dishonest the whole time - until the very end. The more she loves someone the more dishonest she is to that person.

So Yuuri has to remember and find out all of her secrets and to confirm that everything is alright.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
The part that really get s me is that when she describes how she stayed with them but eventually decides to go to the servent boarding school it literally says, "about a year later."

She lived with the family, presumably with Yuuri... FOR A YEAR!
And that doesn't mean she would break off communication with the couple who are, essentially, her guardians.

I had a foster sister for about 2 years. I don't remember living with her, because I was literally a baby/toddler when she lived with my family, until her mother went through rehab and could take care of her daughter again. But she would still visit. My parents would talk about her. She was in family pictures. I knew her, she adored her baby brother. (Past tense because she unfortunately died too young).

At the youngest, Yuuri would be, what 4-5? old enough to voice a complex sentence about beautiful eyes. But he doesn't remember her, and in the 8 years or so since, her existence was erased from the family's memory? No summer vacation visits, no birthday gifts and fond memories shared.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mironicus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's right. She just vanished out of their life and never came back since then. And Yuuri's parents never told him that she was going to a maid school. That is cruel, isn't it?

And they were already holding their own private marriage ceremony and Lilith received a flower ring from Yuuri... he already had conquered her at that time. Laughing
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sticking with the manga and see how close the adaptation is, especially the ending, but with only 3 volumes out and being they're so short, I have a feeling it'll be awhile.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This was a pretty solid ending to a cute and fun romcom show between a boy and his maid!

I'm glad Lilith's former master turned out to be a pretty reasonable and nice guy. No wonder Natsume's in love with him.

I wonder if there's more to what happened to Lilith's parents. She said they "disappeared," not died.

Lilith looked amazing in that date outfit!

Poor Tsukasa is finally denied one last bit of romcom hijinks because of Fujisaki.

So not a 100% conclusive romantic finale...Yuuri confesses again but can't quite put into words the kind of love he feels for Lilith, and Lilith isn't at a point where she can properly respond to his feelings. Although if you ask me she fell for him the moment he complimented her eyes. And it's obvious they have romantic feelings for each other. Yuuri even wants them to have a full baseball team of kids!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:06 pm Reply with quote
While the truth of Lilith's backstory does come off a little too tame to be convincing as a secret she'd keep from Yuuri, I can't say her keeping it secret to begin with is entirely unrealistic. Assuming she didn't keep contact with his family throughout the three years she spent at the boarding school, it's entirely possible she withheld her history with Yuuri from him out of the fear that if she did tell him, under the correct assumption that he forgot all about her, he'd get mad at her for not keeping in touch all this time; and that if she told him now even after remembering her, he'd get even madder at her for keeping it hush-hush for so long, to the point of even blaming her for making him spend the first several months of their master-servant arrangement wrongfully suspicious of her every action. Is this theory ridiculous? Yeah. Is it plausible? Also yeah. It's what works for me, so I'm sticking to it.

Also, I can't believe I spent the whole series not realizing that the girl on the balcony in the OP was Lilith all along; for some stupid reason, I thought it was Tsukasa drawn in an uncharacteristically dramatic fashion.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Mr. A.J. Cosplay, hope you had fun at the con and I appreciate your service in reviewing this thing weekly. Thanks to your efforts, I avoided wasting the last four 1/2 hours for what sounds like would have been nothing. Life is too short for poor/dumb anime when there are so many good each season and you helped sort...
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:22 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series but it was too slow, could have been told in half the episodes. My favourite character however remains the rich school friend with sex on the brain, really reminds me of Tomoya in Cardcaptor Sakura.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed that Natsume wasn't romantically inclined towards Lilith, feels like a missed opportunity. I think @Takkun4343 makes a really good case for Lilith keeping her secret. Overall, I found Ayashi Maid to be good comfort food with good characters in a pleasant setting. I would enjoy a second season for this but I think the direction would have to go different direction either by introducing new characters or by changing up Yuri and Lilith's environment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3