• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Digimon Season 2, Overman King Gainer, Lady Georgie, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Lady Georgie is a day one preorder!!!! I'll pretty much order any shoujo they put out sight unseen, especially since they hit us with the "if you want more shoujo, please support this"

Worth mentioning that they also said that for Saint Tail and they announced that Saint Tail sold pretty well, so hopefully some more (shoujo) mahou shoujo are in the works!!!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
redvelvetdoll wrote:
Worth mentioning that they also said that for Saint Tail and they announced that Saint Tail sold pretty well, so hopefully some more (shoujo) mahou shoujo are in the works!!!

They actually said that? When and where? But yeah, glad to see them picking up more shoujo and magical girl anime, and they'll definitely need the support.
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I already own Goku:ME and Crying Freeman on DVD but will happily double dip for blu ray. (Or in the case of Freeman, quadruple dip since I've owned both American DVD releases as well as the original Streamline VHS release.)

As for the other shows, I have no specific interest in Gainer, but its license gives me hope we may get a license rescue and blu ray for Argento Soma.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Why do some articles insist on posting Twitter feeds? It just messes with the bandwidth. Just write out an article and tell us what they're releasing.

Sorry, just my peeve.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Ann Rule wrote:
How about Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Honey Honey's Wonderful Adventure, Tokimeki Tonight.....what other ones?

Jeanne just got an upscaled Blu-ray release in Japan so it'll probably be a while before they pick it up if they want it due to the usual reverse importation block on Japan's end.

Quote:
I wonder if they'll ever release Dear Brother manga. Is Riyoko mean? I've heard she is a lot to handle.

This would be a question probably for Udon (Rose of Versailles) or Seven Seas (Claudine).

Quote:
I remember Discotek said that DB was limited time release. I wonder how long they have it til?

The Blu-ray set is already under the "Last Chance Items" list on Right Stuf which implies it's already OOP with no more reprints planned after it sells out.

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It doesn't seem plausible to me. After all, Funimation (eventually) released 100% of the Sunrise titles that they picked up around the same time. My speculation is that while Funi got the cream of the crop (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, My-Hime/Otome, Code Geass), Sentai got the dregs; other than Scryed, most of their other titles were not particularly well-known or acclaimed. Maybe they just didn't feel like going through the effort for a lot of old titles they felt wouldn't sell very well. As for materials, I don't know that Bandai USA would've been a factor; stuff like that generally reverts to the Japanese owners after the original licenses expire. There was talk of Sunrise being slow to give out materials, but it seems odd that one company got everything they needed and the other got virtually nothing,

Well, as established in the subsequent posts, it seems it was just an assumption, which goes for any other guesses on the matter as well. I'm honestly surprised nobody's asked about this subject at a convention or something in the 10 years since.
Hades Hotgun
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
As for the other shows, I have no specific interest in Gainer, but its license gives me hope we may get a license rescue and blu ray for Argento Soma.

I'm with you on that. Although I'm at least curious about Gainer, the chance at an Argentosoma blu ray is definitely my big take away from that announcement.

Fingers crossed it shows up at the next Discotek day.
The Cleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:23 am Reply with quote
Despite owning Bandai's release collection of Over Man King Gamer, I will likely pass on this due to the extras will likely be not there in Discotek's release. I actually own the Lady Georgie Region 2 dvd collector's boxset of Lady Georgie, and I will definitely pick this up, as IMO Lady Georige is a personal favorite series to me.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
The Cleaner wrote:
Despite owning Bandai's release collection of Over Man King Gamer, I will likely pass on this due to the extras will likely be not there in Discotek's release.

Judging by the list of extras, it looks like they have everything from the Japanese Blu-ray.

What did the DVDs have that's important?
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:50 am Reply with quote
Discotek keeps going right for my wallet. No Toku Time this go-around but the Digimon stuff, King Gainer, Crying Freeman and even Chargeman Ken (arguably, especially Chargeman Ken) are absolute must-haves for me.

The Discotek booth also helped me score something unexpected. I'd wanted to buy Message from Space, the movie (not the TV series Discotek recently released), but it was hella out of print from Shout. I'm browsing their booth on Sunday and I see, right in front of a copy of the Hiroyuki Sanada-led series, a copy of the movie. But it looked kinda sus. The graphic design looked a bit mushy. I flip it over and the synopsis is in both English and Chinese, and the DVD is region-free. But the Eastern Star logo and the name of the company Eastern Star HK lead me to believe it's a legit release, just not an American one. I handed it across to Justin Sevakis and he was confused too. But once he confirmed its provenance, I paid my $20 and went about my business.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited for Lady Georgie. If Discotek keeps bringing us the classic shoujo, I'll keep sending my money straight their way. Very Happy

I'll also probably doubledip for Crying Freeman and Chargeman Ken, but it's Georgie that I'm most hyped about.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I believe that the dubs of Digimon are so beloved by the fandom that people prefer that only the dub version needed to be allowed and not the original Japanese version.
Nickm_93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Well, as established in the subsequent posts, it seems it was just an assumption, which goes for any other guesses on the matter as well. I'm honestly surprised nobody's asked about this subject at a convention or something in the 10 years since.

My assumption was that when Sentai recieved the licenses to those Sunrise titles back in 2013 is that they were slowly phasing out DVDs and pushing for blu-ray only and many of those shows were only available on DVD at that time except for Big O. So I believe that was the reason why we only got the Big O from them and nothing else. Also someone asked Sentai at Otakon in 2019 what was happening with those Sunrise shows and Sentai replied "Licensing is hard". Which seems like a pretty vague answer.

However its great news that Discotek Media are now slowly picking off the titles one by one and I hope the wait isn't to long for the rest. I am desperately in need of Brain Powered, Betterman, Infinite Ryvius, and Argento Soma! Brain Powered just got a blu-ray in Japan last year in April, Betterman came out on BD in 2019 in Japan, Infinite Ryvius' BD was 2017, and Argento Soma still doesn't have one I believe. It would be great if Discotek Media Astro Rezed Argento Soma and handed the materials back to Sunrise later. I really need these four shows! Anime cry
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
^Out of that Sunrise Sentai list, I want to see Kurokami the most since that kinda got screwed over here last time with the dub-only Blu-ray volumes. I'm also curious to see if they would get everything from the Japanese volumes since in addition to the English dub, they also had the Korean dub and it's own extras in those discs.

Also want to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Space which had a DVD-only release last time in singles when singles were mostly dead at that point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4