• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Noir Character Descriptions Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The show is being made for an American/Western mainstream audience which is the main reason the characters are older. Myself and other anime fans don't have a problem with them being younger, but most other people would be uncomfortable. As for the yuri, they might still have it; they might eventually kill off the boyfriends.

Plus, their age is not that important to the story.

Last edited by rinmackie on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The character sheet describes the show taking place in 1960s Paris, with lead assassin Mireille Dubois (changed from the original Mireille Bouquet) as a 26- to 28-year-old blonde, controlling, female assassin. Kirika is listed as an 18- to 20-year-old Japanese girl who develops amnesia after a fight with Mireille, no longer remembering her training with handler Lance or The Soldats.
Fail. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The sheet lists The Soldats organization as a "regime [that] is based on the Assassins cult of Islam."
Taliban anyone? So does Kirika wear a burka then? Double fail. Rolling Eyes If this is what they intend it's dead already, as far as I'm concerned. Complete failure.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the producers or writer give some interviews about this. I would like to know why they chose Noir and why they've made these changes. I remain in the 'moderate' camp on this, but I am always curious to read about 'behind the scenes' decision and production work for television and film.

I'd also like to know more about the music. I'll hold some hope out for at least one or two songs that are at least homages to Yuji Kajiura's original score to appear and for the rest to be fifties and sixties hard bop. If naught else, the change of era can give us that. Hell, I could probably score the thing nicely with just a few Jackie McLean albums.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:
I'm not really keen on the Soldats being tied to Islaam. That doesn't prevent them from saving much the same purpose as they did in the original series, but I worry that it might license some potentially tawdry things.

Where did they actually originate in Noir? I don't recall - I'm sure they were much older than the Cosa Nostra.

If I recall correctly, the were founded, I believe by peasants, in the early middle ages, nominally to 'protect the weak'. Part o the story of one episode was that they were present at the founding of the Cosa Nostra.

The change to the Soldats does introduce something of a problem as to why an Islaamic cult would have a French name. Perhaps that's just the designation for the French branch office?

errinundra wrote:
I’m interested to know if the live action Mireille and Kirika have a shared traumatic past and if the resolution of that trauma is the core of the plot. My fear is that it will be a simple kiss kiss bang bang action show, instead of the psychological drama of the anime. That remains to be seen.

That's my chief worry too. The descriptions, as written, don't quite make clear why Mireille decides to tolerate Kirika as a partner since they omit any obvious 'black thread of fate'. Whether they can find a compelling way to tie them together without that, or create their own, will be a basic test for the series.

Noir as a psychological drama is akin to the notion of the 'intimacy of character' that I often mention. They can change a lot, but still keep my interest if they linger deep inside the minds of a chosen few characters. This is particularly important for Mireille, who was the emotional lynchpin of the original. That might be an instance of the change of era particularly benefiting this project as the Parisian art scene of the sixties that the character descriptions made some hay of could accentuate the distinction between a cultured Mireille culturally blank Kirika.

I'm still uneasy about the incorporation of, seemingly, prominent male characters, but at least their descriptions suggest that they'll be twisted up enough inside to be interesting.

errinundra wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
...Also: Who the Hell is Yann? I'm probably just remembering him, which probably for someone who was presumably a man who appeared only once in Noir, but I really don't know who that is.

The leader of the Taiwan Triad in episodes 15 and 16.

I should have guessed. I suppose that I was thrown off by his becoming an Algerian gangster and the fact that it's hard to keep track of male characters in the original for some reason...

Sunday Silence wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
Speaking of characters, what the hell is up with the changes made in the description for our two main leads? Bouquet to Dubois? Did they assume people are too stupid to pronounce Bouquet?

You obviously haven't seen Keeping up Appearances.

Brilliant; I should have thought of that.

Dubois is still a rather bland name. I'm sure that the French have better surnames that are distinctly french, but tractable to Anglophone audiences. Briand? Richelieu? Condorcet? Bastiat? Bennehoof? Well, that last one's a little silly sounding, even if it was my great grandmother Carmen's maiden name.

Sunday Silence wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Since Mireille will have a fiancé, I suppose that they prefer a non-yuri interpretation.

And yet this is from the people co-producing Torchwood.

So, they might also throw in dull acting, enormous unresolved plotholes, and sh***y welsh accents?

Wait? The accents were bad? I don't know the series very well, although I enjoyed Children of Earth, but I would've expected a show produced by a Welshmen and starring several others would get the accent right.

rinmackie wrote:
The show is being made for an American/Western mainstream audience which is the main reason the characters are older. Myself and other anime fans don't have a problem with them being younger, but most other people would be uncomfortable. As for the yuri, they might still have it; they might eventually kill off the boyfriends.

Plus, their age is not that important to the story.

It might also be that a fourteen-year-old assassin is easier to accept in animation than live action. Animation tends to allow greater suspension of disbelief. The change might even have been encouraged by labor laws restricting the amount or kind of work that a minor could do, provided that they would've hired a fourteen-year-old to play the part. Even if no laws impedes portraying a minor in sexual situations, the producers might want to avoid controversy over it. Regardless, I like the changed ages. I even sometimes pretended that they were roughly those ages in the original series, even if it indicated otherwise.

And the full description of Mireille's fiancé does describe him as, "Mireille’s ‘love interest’ across the first few episodes," so perhaps he will eat it in short order. That does worry might slightly, however, as it might undermine Mireille's character by making part of her motivation a desire to avenger 'her man'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
...The change to the Soldats does introduce something of a problem as to why an Islaamic cult would have a French name. Perhaps that's just the designation for the French branch office?...

...I should have guessed. I suppose that I was thrown off by his becoming an Algerian gangster...

Consider this: the Algerian war of Independence (from France) began in 1954 and continued until Algeria gained independence in 1962. In 1961, during the Algiers Putsch, French army generals staged a failed coup d'etat to overthrow President de Gaulle. In 1962 there was a failed assassination attempt on de Gaulle by a French army officer disaffected with the events in Algieria. All with the cold war going on in the background.

So we have the two coolest fictional assassins ever, Algerian gangsters, north African veterans, Islamic assassins, cold-war intrigue and an historical setting I've just described. Guys, this series could be fascinating. The Day of the Jackal definitely comes to mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BockLefty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
You guys realize this is being made primarily for an audience that has no idea about the anime, much less seen it. We're talking about a series that came out before anime was anywhere near mainstream. Someone liked the series and decided they wanted to adapt it to a live action for American television. The network and other writers brought in for the show were probably the ones who changed and added things without really knowing anything about the original series. I wouldn't get too upset with any of the changes made. This won't be the anime, and we should all be aware of this. I personally find this to be an intriguing project and am curious to know how it will turn out.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 am Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:
You guys realize this is being made primarily for an audience that has no idea about the anime, much less seen it. We're talking about a series that came out before anime was anywhere near mainstream. Someone liked the series and decided they wanted to adapt it to a live action for American television. The network and other writers brought in for the show were probably the ones who changed and added things without really knowing anything about the original series. I wouldn't get too upset with any of the changes made. This won't be the anime, and we should all be aware of this. I personally find this to be an intriguing project and am curious to know how it will turn out.

And the same things were said of the Dragonball Live Action movie....and look what happened to that.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Well, Dragonball is just not well-suited to live-action, IMHO. But Noir is easily adaptable. However, even then I would expect at least some minor changes. It definitely won't be the Noir anime fans know and love, but I'm pretty sure, that even judged on it's own merits, it'll be light years better than Dragonball Evolution.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:

Then what is the real point of adapting Noir? Is it because they thought it would make a neat live-action series or were they just looking for a story to build the premise for a new female-centric assassin series on? One would have thought that the very reason Noir was pursued was because it was a Western-friendly show with good marketability potential. Instead, with all of the additional content and changes, it sounds like they are padding the story to make it more like other subplot-heavy American shows and to elongate the story for traditional seasonal runtime. Coming up with new enemies or subplots is not bad to make such a run more substantive, but the current details are more extreme than expected and seem to detract from the highlights of the original and give it unnecessary baggage (such as the "female independence" aspect, with the potential saddling of "avenging a fallen lover" on Mireille's part). In the end, is this really Noir or is it "Noir" in name only?

Maybe the only thing I have not expected to make the transition was Yuki Kajiura's score (or something along that caliber). I wouldn't be surprised if that did not have much prominence as a highlight of the live-action show, if at all. Certainly, it would be nice (though I'm not holding my breath on Kajiura reprising her duties), but standout, complementary scoring has rarely been focal point in L.A. series here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
[Consider this: the Algerian war of Independence (from France) began in 1954 and continued until Algeria gained independence in 1962. In 1961, during the Algiers Putsch, French army generals staged a failed coup d'etat to overthrow President de Gaulle. In 1962 there was a failed assassination attempt on de Gaulle by a French army officer disaffected with the events in Algieria. All with the cold war going on in the background.

So we have the two coolest fictional assassins ever, Algerian gangsters, north African veterans, Islamic assassins, cold-war intrigue and an historical setting I've just described. Guys, this series could be fascinating. The Day of the Jackal definitely comes to mind.
Oh yeah, an Islamic assassination squad calling themselves "Soldats" the name of an ancient sect of the Knights Templar, who were originally assassins for the Vatican in the Christian Crusades, yeah that works, but then how many Americans would know this either. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
As for the yuri, they might still have it; they might eventually kill off the boyfriends.

They could do the Rizzoli and Isles approach and have all attempts of the females getting and/or securing a boyfriend utterly fail with the realization that the two are meant for each other! Anime hyper

Hell, the recent ad promo for Rizzoli and Isles relishes that!
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
BockLefty wrote:

And the same things were said of the Dragonball Live Action movie....and look what happened to that.

I don't recall anyone saying anything like that about dragonball ever. Besides, Dragonball (or at least Dragonball z) was the epitome of mainstream anime when anime was mainstream. Noir was niche then and it's niche now. Face it everyone, this isn't about creating an exact replica of the Noir anime in live action format to pander to anime fans and otaku. Let's be real, the casual tv viewing audience is much more expansive than the niche anime fanbase (no matter how vocal). Cautiously pessimistic I guess would be a pretty good position to take, but at this point I guess it still remains to be seen how this will be received. Who knows, it may not be Noir as you remember it, but it could still be entertaining.

Yeesh, it's stuff like this that makes me believe that anime fans would be content in seeing their medium die so long as they have their old dvd collections to watch in their basements. Lighten up Rolling Eyes
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Instead, with all of the additional content and changes, it sounds like they are padding the story to make it more like other subplot-heavy American shows and to elongate the story for traditional seasonal runtime.

They're also probably trying to make episodes fit into an hour-long timeslot. I'd rather they cut the extraneous side-story crap they're trying to shoehorn in and lengthen the action scenes instead.

kakoishii wrote:
Yeesh, it's stuff like this that makes me believe that anime fans would be content in seeing their medium die so long as they have their old dvd collections to watch in their basements. Lighten up Rolling Eyes

I don't see why animation as a medium would die unless works originally presented in that medium have successful adaptations in other mediums. Please explain this concept as it does not resonate with me.
Retro88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
BockLefty wrote:

I don't recall anyone saying anything like that about dragonball ever. Besides, Dragonball (or at least Dragonball z) was the epitome of mainstream anime when anime was mainstream. Noir was niche then and it's niche now. Face it everyone, this isn't about creating an exact replica of the Noir anime in live action format to pander to anime fans and otaku. Let's be real, the casual tv viewing audience is much more expansive than the niche anime fanbase (no matter how vocal). Cautiously pessimistic I guess would be a pretty good position to take, but at this point I guess it still remains to be seen how this will be received. Who knows, it may not be Noir as you remember it, but it could still be entertaining.

So why the hell even calling it an anime adaptation if everything from anime got scrapped and thrown away?
Only thing left from Noir is the title, Soldat organisation name and two main charactrs names(or rather half since Mireiile name was changed)...

Noir anime was a sublime take without any kind of romance going(be it hetero or homosexual), whole anime was about Mireille and Kirika healing each other up from their fucked up past, finally accepting each other in their lives, and that was the whole point of it, it was really a touchy story.

Instead as I read some of cast lines we get heavy sexualised take where Mireille is married, and is in some fucked up love triangle with another guy, Kirika is too much more sexualised character [expletive] with some guy, two most important charatcrs froim anime got removed, there's no Altena, and especially there's no Chloe who showed romantic itnerest in Kirika bound with total sick obsession.

It's like they specially taken two female leads just to throw their lifes revoblved around guys and relationship with them beside of course killing.

That's not called an adaptation, that's called a butchering of whole anime content and creating a completely original thing which should not be called Noir or use it's characters, it's not even remake, it's a totally original delusion which actually quite surprised me in very negative way.

If they changed the anime plot and characters so much were they are totally different people then why they choose so niche thing as Noir anime just to get title, sorry but for anyone who actually liked Noir anime, the adaptation will be a failure, but like you said it's not aimed at anime fans, no just usual viewers who loves girls with guns, sex and gore.

And that's not Noir.

And if all anime should be changed so drastically by making them into live serie just to cater to viewers who will never watch such anime as Noir anyway at all cause it will be too boring for them, so what's the point of doing it?

Don't tell me that guys behind this didn't have brains to create their own original serie about two female assassins without use of Noir and it's characters, that is pathetic.

The writer behind this seems didn't watch the anime at all, maybe read the descritpion that it has two female leads, and that there's the evil Soldats organisation, and that's all.

I'm pissed and I know that this serie with it's typical american bullshit take going will be shit, I was so excited when I learned first about Noir getting it's adaptation, but then when the cast was revealed and some case lines were shown it just blown my mind how sexist the [expletive] people behind this are.
Maxwell 2nd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel discouraged by the news, but I honestly can't judge yet since nothing is clear, like the matter of Altena and Chloe. We don't know for sure if they will or will not appear yet. I don't mind the setting in the 60s, but what worries me is wither will they capture the spirit of the show. What makes Noir different is the way it handle the story:

- It's slow, it's moody and it takes its time in telling it's story because it's a mysteries and personal story about two main leads and the characters around them and the special bond that these two share, that's the same rule in Noir's "spiritual sequels" like Madlax and the other one (forgot it's name). And it's not about mysteries story as much as it about a mysteries atmosphere. Other then that, their is nothing much about Noir that makes it stand in this time and age, not the girls with guns or the "cool" mysteries organization plot because we all have seen it before.

I don't demand any story to be a strict adaption of its source material as long as it's a good interpretation of that source material. Look at the X-Men movies for example, Magnito's power where a bit different, Nightcrawler was not Mystique's son nor was Rouge her adopted child in the comics, yet the movies where good.

But again, so far I'm really not optimistic by this new Noir project, especially the idea of an Islamic organization as a villainess group because 1, I'm worried over stereotypes or stupid adaption of muslim characters (wither good or bad guys) like the ones in the 24 show. And 2, I'm assuming this organization is the Hashashien, if so then it feels bad timing since the Hashashien group is already shining now in the Assassin's Creed games so it doesn’t feel THAT original.

But again, I'm only sharing concern and will hold any judgment until I see the show, which I hope it's going to be an enjoyable interpolation of Noir.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

I don't see why animation as a medium would die unless works originally presented in that medium have successful adaptations in other mediums. Please explain this concept as it does not resonate with me.

I don't recall ever saying that animation would die, or that matter that the medium anime would die. Given the state of the industry I simply stated an opinion about what a lot of fans would prefer. How you got from a to z by precariously connecting the dots in between I have no idea and would be more inclined to ask how and why you twisted my statement in such a manner.

@ Retro88 taking 2-3 key notes from the very sparse run through we got in the article and making wide leaps and bounds with it is incredibly flawed, period. So Mireille has a finance (yes it's a finance not a husband so you actually got that point dead wrong), suddenly she can't still be incredibly kick ass and now she's too hetero to be seen as anything but an over sexualized slut of a woman? Really, that's the conclusion were coming to? Rolling Eyes Really people, you're trying too hard. In that laundry list of things they kept, it may not be a lot, but it isn't paltry. I reserve judgment until we actually see it (it's from the same people who made Xena, given that track record they should be completely capable of doing this right). Worse case scenario, it sucks and I'm willing to bet a lot of you don't have stars anyway, so you can just pretend that it doesn't exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4