• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romeo x Juliet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frouella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
After watching Samurai 7 and Gankutsuou (and seeing the precedent that they set), I think it's safe to say that in this version of Romeo & Juliet, people will (generally) have the same names, and the same people will eventually die as in the original, but the details and plot leading up to it will likely be completely different. I don't need a spoiler tag for that, right? Wink

As for my opinion of the show after the first episode, I'm still kinda "on the fence" about the whole thing. Yeah, the overall animation looks good and the story seems like it could be interesting, it's just... I dunno, I think the character design looks a little too contrived. It's like the animators were trying so hard to make Romeo and Juliet adorable and innocent that it's verging on saccharine; seriously, if they were any more wide-eyed, their crystalline orbs would forsake their sockets completely and rest on their petal-smooth cheeks instead. Rolling Eyes (I'm talking metaphorically and not physically wide-eyed, of course, since this IS anime and all.) I understand that they have to be portrayed as young and naive at first (otherwise their subsequent disillusionment and death won't be nearly as effective Twisted Evil ), but still, let's not put the audience into sugar shock, mmmkay? And I won't even go into the whole pegasus thing (come on, now -- flying horses? What, did the animators all spontaneously turn into nine-year-old girls?).

Anyway, despite how this probably sounds, I am still interested in seeing what they do with the story; I just probably won't be able to watch it in large doses. No offense meant toward fans of cutesy characters, flying horses, rainbows, unicorns, Precious Moments figurines, et. al.; no puppies were harmed in the making of this post.
Pantha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll like to say that I hate Gonzo. Loathe them. In fact, I boycotted their anime, and actively avoided Gankutsuou. The only reason I ended up watching it is because I read a review by a writer whose opinion I trust. Gankutsuou is their only geniunely good anime (I would say Kaleido Star is a second, but that one is too genre-specific). After Gankutsuou, I continued avoiding their series....

.....until now.

I don't care one flip that this is a Gonzo work. I practically sprained my wrist clicking on the torrent links. This is Romeo and Juliet we're talking about! You CANNOT mess this up!

.....Well, Baz Luhrmann did. And Gonzo has jacked up every other....

Okay. I will not have misgivings. Back to the matter at hand...

...I like it so far (I saw the first two episodes). Because there has been so many different versions of Shakespeare's most famous play, Gonzo has a lot of room to play with. You can practically do anything with it at this point and still pull it off. I already know they're going to take liberties (they already have and did with Gankutsuou, big time), but I won't care as long as they stay respectful to the original material.

Considering Gonzo's love of obnoxious and flashy animation, I was surprised by Romeo x Juliet's rather sudued animation. This is a welcome change and the character designs are nice. The encounters between the oh-so tragic couple were, well, sweet, and not corny in the slightest. Oh, and I was very afraid of that. Trust me.

Will himself is in it. Cute. I hope he's not going to be used as some half-assed comic relief bit. As for the music, the opening theme is okay. The ending theme is quite....retarded.

I hope I don't sprain my wrist downloading the third episode.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So I finally got around to watching Episode 2 and wow. Gonzo certainly is putting their own spin on this series spoiler[I am bit confused on where we go from here thought. All out war? Or at first do we see the Caplets trying to gain power, there's a lot of different angles this show could take from here, I can't wait till episode 2 ]

Once again I wanted to comment on how great the backgrounds look and detail spent on flowers, Gonzo certainly is putting some dough into this series.
mind over matter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
So I finally got around to watching Episode 2 and wow. Gonzo certainly is putting their own spin on this series spoiler[I am bit confused on where we go from here thought. All out war? Or at first do we see the Caplets trying to gain power, there's a lot of different angles this show could take from here, I can't wait till episode 2 ]

Once again I wanted to comment on how great the backgrounds look and detail spent on flowers, Gonzo certainly is putting some dough into this series.

I think it's going to be like spoiler[gorilla war fare, and Juliet is going to end up being sent to assassinate Romeo, and blah blah blah, they live ever after... that, or there is going to be a big wedding scene between Romeo and the other girl (that his father wants him to marry) and some how the Capulets are going to ruin it..that's just my idea ]
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm so big on this series as well. Like a lot of other people watching it, I'm actually scared for the end. I've never actually liked Romeo and Juliet or their relationship. I like the play, but I really didn't feel bad for them at the end. I just found them unsympathetic characters. Here it's different. I like them. I like their relationship. It's sweet.

It seems like it would be impossible to end Romeo x Julietspoiler[ without them dying], but it could happen. Certainly they changed the end of Count of Monte Cristo in Gankutsuou.spoiler[ He dies in the tv series, but in the original book he lives happily ever after with Haydee. In the tv series, they don't even have a romantic relationship.]
roujin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of disappointed with the first episode. I don't really understand why they would change the story so dramatically. I'll keep watching it though to see how it develops. I guess that it just didn't grab me as much as Gankutsuou did.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
It seems like it would be impossible to end Romeo x Julietspoiler[ without them dying], but it could happen. Certainly they changed the end of Count of Monte Cristo in Gankutsuou.spoiler[ He dies in the tv series, but in the original book he lives happily ever after with Haydee. In the tv series, they don't even have a romantic relationship.]

I agree spoiler[with Romeo X Juliet and how it's just so hard to see that show not end how we all know it. As for Count of Monte Cristo, really with that story it's pretty easy to changed the ending of that story by changing a few elements of the story. Case in Point the movie that came out a few years ago, also is different compare to the book as compared to the Anime. ]

I certainly think that Gonzo did a great job with the Count, and I've got some high hopes for Romeo X Juliet.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I've got some high hopes for Romeo X Juliet.

Same here, after finally watching the first episode, I gotta say that I was quite interested. Even though it's not as accurate as the play, I still think that spoiler[the Montagues ruling Verona while trying to seek out the remaining Capulets ]is indeed an interesting twist. Also, instead of Romeo going to the ball, spoiler[it's Juliet who goes instead ]and the opening scene of the first episode immediately drew me into this series, very interesting.But anyway isn't very obvious that William is just comic relief character based off of Shakespeare?
Shinigami Clara

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
But anyway isn't very obvious that William is just comic relief character based off of Shakespeare?

Although to a certain extent i guess it could be true, Willi being comic relief for the anime, but for some reason i can't shake the feeling that he might actually play some role in the whole thing (then again, it might be because he IS based off Shakespear and it's nice to think that Shakespear might actually play an important role in his own creation Very Happy ).

Come to think of it though, i know that the story development is way off from the original, spoiler[but i would like to see Juliet 'poison' herself, ] (is that a spoiler for the anime or for the original??? Shocked i just wanted to use the spoiler button.. is all) I wonder who'll be the person to giver her the potion this time.. since the Father doesn't seem to want to pop up anytime soon....
Being the vindictive person i am, i'm thinking of this as revenge for making me play Juliet and actually drinking a vile looking green glop of goop! (crazy drama teachers!! "it'll look more belivable my a$$) ...though how that's revenge, i have no idea... but i'm thinking it is anyways!!! (yes, i'm random.. it's part of the fun)

Anyways!! Back on topic... Willi actually playing a role in the anime:
Considering that Juliet goes to Willi for advice (ep 2) about love and stuff, it's safe to say that he'll at least play some minor (if not major) role in R & J's 'budding' romance. Personally though, i think the main reason he's here is because
spoiler[ he'll be the one writing down the story of "Juliet and her Romeo", the hints were all there: his fustration at not being able to write a romance story with feeling. His own quest to find true love (?) -- not for himself of course... He'll probably have the 'last words' in the anime... somehow i get the feeling that it's going to be related to the opening of the original...]

Of course, this is just my feelings on it anyways, i seriously do hope that they keep to the ending of the original though. Romeo and Juliet are supposed to be 'star crossed lovers' and, really, you can't be star crossed if you're going to have a happy ending right?
retty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Seems to me like William might play the role of the monk, or whatever he was, who gives Juliet the poison.

I'm really liking this series so far. I thought i'd be horrified at taking a Shakespeare play and totally changing everything, but it think it's great. Although i would like to know where Juliet learned to fence and generally kick arse.

I'd like to see the show end the same way as the play. Not exactly the same methods of death perhaps, but if it goes soft like West Side Story and let's one of them live i'll be greatly disapointed.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Seen up through episode 3, and I'm more convinced than ever that this series is a keeper. Yeah, it's hardly staying tight to the original story, but it does have all the right elements, the story has been handled well, and the regular references to other Shakespearean plays are amusing. As long as Gonzo doesn't change the ending (it isn't truly Romeo and Juliet if their love doesn't lead to a tragic fate), they've got a winner here.

And does anyone else find them rewatching that opener each time they watch an episode? Definitely one of the best I've seen in many a moon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As long as Gonzo doesn't change the ending (it isn't truly Romeo and Juliet if their love doesn't lead to a tragic fate), they've got a winner here.

I don't think that even Gonzo has the guts to make a move like that, and one should hope that they don't.

Key wrote:
And does anyone else find them rewatching that opener each time they watch an episode? Definitely one of the best I've seen in many a moon.

I think that while there's certainly breathtaking animation, and I do enjoy both songs. I find that Claymore certainly has better Opening and Closing, and I find myself watching/listening to those more then Romeo X Juliet.
adonais

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Key wrote:
As long as Gonzo doesn't change the ending (it isn't truly Romeo and Juliet if their love doesn't lead to a tragic fate), they've got a winner here.

I don't think that even Gonzo has the guts to make a move like that, and one should hope that they don't.

Considering they spoiler[turned Escalus into a tree].....maybe all bets are off Laughing

Well hopefully not, but they're certainly creating a lot of wiggle room. This thing could take off in just about any direction (how about down?) And I do hope that they'll be inventive with the ending without robbing it of its tragedy, so that we can be surprised (in a good way!)

Key wrote:

For all its visual splendor, I really can't stand the opening song.. Way too Céline Dion, if you know what I mean, every single chord and mood absolutely predictable! But, YMMV I guess.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
For all its visual splendor, I really can't stand the opening song.. Way too Céline Dion, if you know what I mean, every single chord and mood absolutely predictable! But, YMMV I guess.

Enh, I guess I just go for that soaring style. (I am a longtime Meatloaf fan, after all, and have liked a lot of Celine Dion's work.) Maybe that's why I'd rank it among my top 5 theme songs from the past 2-3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I've always sort of liked the premise of some of Shakespeare's plays but never been able to get along with them, reading either original or modern text or watching accurate or modern takes on his plays...

This shows more promise as I can more or less forget that it is Shakespeare but still enjoy the basic premise (It may be interesting to see one of his Henry's or perhaps Macbeth as those could be the height of heroics or the darkest of super Gothic melodrama).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6