• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am Number Six

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
There's no way of getting around the aliasing on the remastered Utena DVDs. Some people (including some reviewers) just don't see it. Some people are definitely more sensitive to video issues than others. For example, edge enhancement halos (like on the initial Gladiator Blu-ray) really annoy me, but I have friends who won't even notice them. Sadly, being aware of video issues like these can often detract from your enjoyment of a movie or series. Once you see it, you can't un-see it. If anything, it's more pronounced the bigger and better your display is.

I also own the (very expensive) Japanese R2 DVDs and those do look the same. I asked if the Nozomi DVDs would have the same aliasing problem when the license was announced, but I didn't get an answer until the first set was released. Nozomi is using the same DVD masters as the remastered Japanese DVDs. It's unlikely they could have done anything about it.

It's possible that the aliasing will be fixed for the eventual Blu-ray release. However, I'm in no rush to buy the show again - especially at R2 prices. I'm holding out hope for a separate release in some country of the movie on Blu-ray, though. The movie was 35mm and should look gorgeous in HD as long as it receives a proper transfer. There are a few cuts with CG that will likely be upscaled but the majority should look great.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
I hope hope hope Utena will be released as one big box sometimes soon. At the very least, it shouldn't be allowed to go out of print for a decade.

No. 6 sounds interesting and hopefully it will pick up. Couldn't be any worse than Ergo Proxy Wink

I certainly remember Kusanagi and a couple of practically-nekkid friends hanging around a luxury apartment with an enormous bed, in one ep of GITS:SAC.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
and of course caters to the Fujoshi audience.

Honestly? I don't see this as a fujoshi show. Granted,that could be because I'm not one and I'm enjoying it, although that last episode was a bit off. But does spoiler[one innocent kiss] really classify the whole thing as BL? That seems a little extreme, and while there may be places where homoeroticism can be read into the story, it hardly seems to make up the majority.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
I think it's the low quality of the worldbuilding, especially in the latest episode, that makes the show feel very fujoshi-targetted. Some very orthodox setting elements are slapped together in a nonsensical fashion to make a backdrop for a relationship between two male characters who may as well have come off a mass production line... it does follow the formula, at least.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Honestly? I don't see this as a fujoshi show (...) really classify the whole thing as BL?

No no, a show catering to Fujoshi audience doesn't necessarily make it a BL show. After all, Fujoshi are known for their endless imagination, and recently the most popular shows among that audience were Durarara! and Tiger & Bunny, and both are hardly BL shows.
But No. 6 has added some obvious Fujoshi fanservice, like the dancing together (a very awkward scene), the crossdressing ... and the whole relationship which you call "bromance" just seems to please that audience in particular (the internet is full with comments telling Safu to die). That doesn't mean the show can't please others as well, but I found the fanservice very tiring during the middle part and distracting from the actual story. And now the show has only 3 episodes left, where I certainly won't expect an interesting solution anymore.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
I didn't know No. 6 was only 11 episodes. That's not as big of a commitment as I thought.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Was it really a deus ex machina? I didn't think so.

The title of the final episode is "Deus Ex Machina" and proxies are compared to gods throughout the show. When the spoiler[ big, scary spaceships return to earth with who knows what kind of "humans", the final shot is of Vincent, with his glowing proxy eyes, smiling. Even though we don't see what happens next, Sato leaves us with the suggestion that Vincent, a "god", will make everything okay.]
The ending to Ergo Proxy is rather bittersweet as it [spoiler]shows the humans who chose to flee to space until the Earth could be refit to human habitation returning, and the nuclear-winter styled cloud cover on the earth to begin to break, exposing the blue sky, which is lethal to the proxies, including Ergo Proxy. Short of holing up in some cave out of the sun, there isn't much hope for our protagonist.[/quote] No protagonist that cool should have to choose between being Howie from The Benchwarmers or death Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I didn't know No. 6 was only 11 episodes. That's not as big of a commitment as I thought.
If it is only 11 episodes I could stand to check it out, though that does make me fear that the statement in the column about not expecting the show to turn around in later episodes will turn out to be right. 4 more eps to find redemption? I'm not holding my breath, but I'll give it a chance.
Quote:
I actually really like what No. 6 has pulled off as far as genre-mashing. Chances are, if it had been straight up BL I probably would have watched it because I like BL. Had it been a straight-up dystopian-future scifi show I prolly would have watched it also because I like that sort of thing too. But combining the two... combining the two is actually quite smart. And unusual. You gotta give credit where it's due: we haven't seen this happen in anime before.

It's not as though there isn't some yaoi-ness going down in Ergo Proxy, particularly the short arc with Kazkis. Some of the Raul Creed/Daedalus interaction could have some things read into it. Sad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

No no, a show catering to Fujoshi audience doesn't necessarily make it a BL show. After all, Fujoshi are known for their endless imagination, and recently the most popular shows among that audience were Durarara! and Tiger & Bunny, and both are hardly BL shows.
But No. 6 has added some obvious Fujoshi fanservice, like the dancing together (a very awkward scene), the crossdressing ... and the whole relationship which you call "bromance" just seems to please that audience in particular (the internet is full with comments telling Safu to die). That doesn't mean the show can't please others as well, but I found the fanservice very tiring during the middle part and distracting from the actual story. And now the show has only 3 episodes left, where I certainly won't expect an interesting solution anymore.

Thank you - that makes things a lot clearer to me! Smile I agree that the "bromance" aspect of the show could attract that audience - I just thought people were implying that the show was strictly for the fujoshi crowd. (Note to self: do not post in forums the day after the 12 year old dog has surgery.) (She came through fine.) Perhaps I am just naive about the fujoshi phenomenon, but having had very few positive experiences with it, I suppose I'm a bit biased. Not against BL or yaoi or any of that - more with the fans. I'm willing to bet that most fujoshi are lovely people and that I have just been unfortunate enough to meet the few who really are rotten.

I agree though, that the world building has fallen apart. A longer run could have made this an excellent show rather than a patchy one.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
So far No. 6 is my favorite series of the season, and maybe of the year.

And it's easily the best Shonen Ai I have ever seen. The only one that has an interesting plot Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
There's no way of getting around the aliasing on the remastered Utena DVDs. Some people (including some reviewers) just don't see it. Some people are definitely more sensitive to video issues than others. For example, edge enhancement halos (like on the initial Gladiator Blu-ray) really annoy me, but I have friends who won't even notice them. Sadly, being aware of video issues like these can often detract from your enjoyment of a movie or series. Once you see it, you can't un-see it. If anything, it's more pronounced the bigger and better your display is.

I don't know. I don't consider myself a picky sort, but on my setup it looks REALLY obvious. Hell, the first time Wakaba appears in head shot form in episode 1 is horribly jaggy on mine, it's like late Charles Schulz arthritic era linework, except less charmingly unintentional. I just can't see how anyone else (except you and a handful of other posters I've come across) can't spot it other than the fact that my setup is wrong compared than others.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

I don't know. I don't consider myself a picky sort, but on my setup it looks REALLY obvious. Hell, the first time Wakaba appears in head shot form in episode 1 is horribly jaggy on mine, it's like late Charles Schulz arthritic era linework, except less charmingly unintentional. I just can't see how anyone else (except you and a handful of other posters I've come across) can't spot it other than the fact that my setup is wrong compared than others.

I definitely noticed the aliasing on my Utena DVDs, but it doesn't look any worse then a lot of other DVDs. Like pretty much every other SD show I've watched on my big screen, it seems to be worse in some scens and better in others. I've tried playing it through my Sony DVD player with a composite video cable and my PS3 with an HDMI cable. Both times on a 60in LG plasma. I actually couldn't tell the difference on either.

This problem used to drive me crazy back when I first got my Hitachi rear projection TV. I tried a lot of different things to make it better but in the end I just accepted it. After that I found that I could enjoy what ever I was watching much more. Unless of course its really bad, but I didn't find the Utena DVDs to be of an unacceptable video quality.

Is this the only anime that this bothers you or you've noticed this on? I personally tend to scrutinize the video quality of releases that I am highly anticipating more then others. Its a rather annoying habit, but one I can't seem to break.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
I'm buying the Gintama DVDs!!! *high fives Estela* I really like your One Piece figurines *stares* And I'm totally jealous of your Gintama collection =O

I'm...kinda interested in No 6. now. If Siren had picked it up I probably would've given it a shot, but since there's no way for me to legally watch it and all I ever hear about it is that it's a mess I kinda let it pass by.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Is this the only anime that this bothers you or you've noticed this on? I personally tend to scrutinize the video quality of releases that I am highly anticipating more then others. Its a rather annoying habit, but one I can't seem to break.

Nope, this is the only one. I see minor aliasing in Nozomi's Dirty Pair TV, but only if you look REALLY close (and I have bad eyesight) but it's still not nearly as bad as it looks in Utena TV.

The only other time I had noticeably bad "jaggies" on an anime DVD were when I first got those Ghibli DVDs from Disney and I had nothing but old standard TVs. But when I got a widescreen TV, those problems largely disappeared. So that's what made me think that how one's viewing centre is set up can matter a lot.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
My Dirty Pair DVDs look quite a bit cleaner then my Utena DVDs as well. It's to bad you can't watch them on someone else's set up that can't see the same problem you can. That would help determine if it is a matter of human perception or a technical issue. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. I know how frustrating these kinds of problems can be.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Why are people so quick to classify what happens in No.6 as "fanservice"? It's blatantly tamer than so many other popular shows that don't get any crap from the fans. Confused The show is faithfully adapted, Rat and Sion's relationship wasn't altered to appease the fujoshi. I can't believe people are really that upset over a romance or "bromance" between two male characters, complaining about what No.6 SHOULD be rather than enjoying it for what it is. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3