• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0 is Now Top Grossing Eva Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Um, I said success by non-inflation standards. And $10 million's pretty high, by Japanese animation standards. It'd be like $50 million here. I'd imagine EOE made most of its money back off the merchandise related to the tv show, and so its final gross was just icing on the cake. But 1.0 probably required a lot of funding and sponsors[as did the others] and so it's actually a disappointment, if it's already on its way out. And if it can't sustain its momentum by the fourth movie, it's probably gonna really be the "End" for it. Rolling Eyes
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Um, I said success by non-inflation standards.

And again, Japan didn't experience inflation this past decade, so whether it's non-inflation or not is a moot point. Smile

Quote:
And $10 million's pretty high, by Japanese animation standards. It'd be like $50 million here.

But fortunately, the movie has already made more than that, so that's a moot point as well.

Quote:
I'd imagine EOE made most of its money back off the merchandise related to the tv show, and so its final gross was just icing on the cake. But 1.0 probably required a lot of funding and sponsors[as did the others] and so it's actually a disappointment, if it's already on its way out. And if it can't sustain its momentum by the fourth movie, it's probably gonna really be the "End" for it. Rolling Eyes

I would respond to the above, but you're essentially speculating on an old movie's funding, a current movie's funding, and future films' funding. In other words, there is no claims of fact to refute, because is no facts there. Wink
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
testorschoice, IF all you are trying to show is that the current movie is selling more than the End of Eva, I guess that is a more reasonable thing to try to show. I still hold that you have not managed to show this yet. The current figures only show a tiny increase in gross sales over the last movie, and it is arguable whether that is even more, or less, than the last movie. I don't really see anyone else agreeing with you except yourself. And you never satisfactorily addressed my point that if you add in the profits of Death & Rebirth to End of Eva, or even half the profits of Death & Rebirth (by your twisted logic) that those proceeds far exceed that of Eva 1.0.

Also, your "sources" don't show anything about the "expected" sales of Eva, as far as I can tell. That is what you were claiming you had inside knowledge of earlier.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
testorschoice, IF all you are trying to show is that the current movie is selling more than the End of Eva, I guess that is a more reasonable thing to try to show. I still hold that you have not managed to show this yet. The current figures only show a tiny increase in gross sales over the last movie, and it is arguable whether that is even more, or less, than the last movie.

An increase is still an increase--hence it is selling more. Moreover, it's still in the theaters to make even more.

Quote:
I don't really see anyone else agreeing with you except yourself.

Shushung: Why can't people just accept that the movie is doing well in box office?

Arcwave: EVA is not dead. I rest my case.

TokyoGetter: Plus factor in the extreme lack of free time in Eva`s target market range, and the general nature of the Japanese box office in general, and you have a hit on your hands.

Quote:
And you never satisfactorily addressed my point that if you add in the profits of Death & Rebirth to End of Eva, or even half the profits of Death & Rebirth (by your twisted logic) that those proceeds far exceed that of Eva 1.0.

The point was addressed by pointing out that comparing one release's box office to more than one release's box office is the original convoluted logic that no one else subscribes to.

Quote:
Also, your "sources" don't show anything about the "expected" sales of Eva, as far as I can tell. That is what you were claiming you had inside knowledge of earlier.

That was the first source (why is that word in "quotes"?), which is the official blog of the Evangelion movie's producers. No one claimed it was inside knowledge.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
testorschoice, IF all you are trying to show is that the current movie is selling more than the End of Eva, I guess that is a more reasonable thing to try to show. I still hold that you have not managed to show this yet. The current figures only show a tiny increase in gross sales over the last movie, and it is arguable whether that is even more, or less, than the last movie.

An increase is still an increase--hence it is selling more. Moreover, it's still in the theaters to make even more.

Quote:
I don't really see anyone else agreeing with you except yourself.

From Shushung: "Why can't people just accept that the movie is doing well in box office?"

From Arcwave: "EVA is not dead. I rest my case."

From TokyoGetter: "Plus factor in the extreme lack of free time in Eva`s target market range, and the general nature of the Japanese box office in general, and you have a hit on your hands."

Quote:
And you never satisfactorily addressed my point that if you add in the profits of Death & Rebirth to End of Eva, or even half the profits of Death & Rebirth (by your twisted logic) that those proceeds far exceed that of Eva 1.0.

The point was addressed by pointing out that comparing one release's box office to more than one release's box office is the original convoluted logic that no one else subscribes to.

Quote:

That was the first source (why is that word in "quotes"?), which is the official blog of the Evangelion movie's producers. No one claimed it was inside knowledge.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't read Japanese very well (I'm not holding that against you here, it's natural to expect that a source of this kind would be in pure Japanese) but it doesn't appear to me that there are any kind of expected or projected sales figures, and/or a bookkeeping breakdown, of any kind on that page.

Note that what I'm asking for is some kind of claim by the producers of Eva 1.0 that they "expected" the movie to be seen by X amount of fans and that they "expected" the movie to gross X amount of dollars. Furthermore, the claim has to be made and dated before the movie was released in theaters, otherwise it's not expected sales but actual sales. (That you had knowledge of what the movie producers were expecting is what you claimed earlier, that is why I'm asking for that).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3