• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Indonesian TV Station Reprimanded for Airing One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

I mean for starters, there's really no such thing as swearing in the Japanese language anyways save for like, 1 or 2 words, so really there was no swearing in OP to begin with.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by swearing. I'm not familiar with One Piece, but the Japanese language has rude terms used to express emotional intensity. Excretory terms, sexual terms, insulting terms. I won't give examples here.

Not exactly swearing, but one of the Kekko Kamen movies has a sequence in which one of the girls is being forced into saying various embarassing words.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
But still, even in the case with the Naruto uncut box sets they toned down the language quite a bit.

Shocked

I think you need to listen harder when you're watching your Naruto sets. I remember a part where Ino says "bi***". From volume 5 onward, the characters curse more frequently.

Anyways, even though there's more cursing in the One Piece dub than in the Naruto dub, it's still not so frequent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
Did you ever see how they dealt with the Tenchi Muyo OVA?

If you haven't seen the OVA, some episodes contain scenes where the characters are completely naked. Since CN couldn't remove those scenes, as over half the show would be missing, the graphics team at Toonami got creative and digitally painted bikinis and bathing suits over the female characters.

Creative, but not thorough. After taping the show off of CN back in the day, I noticed that someone had either missed or "forgotten" to paint a couple of frames. Oops! Got a bit of a chuckle out if it at the time.

IIRC, all the alcohol references were removed as well, presumably to make it appropriate for an afternoon timeslot.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
But then wouldn't you think parents would also be in an uproar if Luffy said anything worse than "darn?" A family friendly pirate story. Pretty much the same concept.

No, they wouldn't. It's ANIME, and it's a B-rank anime also (meaning in terms of being known outside the fanbase, A's being DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, Pokemon, etc.) Anime hardly gets looked in terms of the "media is corrupting our children" propaganda, so forgive me if I'm not losing sleep over it. I'll worry about the banning of video games and movies, but anime? Unless you live in a really close-minded area, you shouldn't have to worry.

Also, PIQ's issue on translations has said Japanese sentences can be translated multiple ways (heck, he took one sentence and gave five different translations, all accurate). So your claims that OP has very little cursing don't really make sense.

A family friendly pirate story? Maybe in Japan, but I know a lot of parents in other countries wouldn't like their kids seeing spoiler[Zoro getting his chest cut upon, Nami's foster mother getting shot in the head, characters getting drunk often, etc.]. It CAN be somewhat family-friendly, but only on the CN edited dub. On the DVDs, it should be unedited, because really the people who are buying the DVDs are genuine anime fans (who are generally teens and up), not 5 year olds. We've had to put up with 4Kids for a LONG time, releasing more edited DVDs would have the fans in an uproar.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
But then wouldn't you think parents would also be in an uproar if Luffy said anything worse than "darn?" A family friendly pirate story. Pretty much the same concept.

No, they wouldn't. It's ANIME, and it's a B-rank anime also (meaning in terms of being known outside the fanbase, A's being DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, Pokemon, etc.) Anime hardly gets looked in terms of the "media is corrupting our children" propaganda, so forgive me if I'm not losing sleep over it. I'll worry about the banning of video games and movies, but anime? Unless you live in a really close-minded area, you shouldn't have to worry.

Also, PIQ's issue on translations has said Japanese sentences can be translated multiple ways (heck, he took one sentence and gave five different translations, all accurate). So your claims that OP has very little cursing don't really make sense.

A family friendly pirate story? Maybe in Japan, but I know a lot of parents in other countries wouldn't like their kids seeing spoiler[Zoro getting his chest cut upon, Nami's foster mother getting shot in the head, characters getting drunk often, etc.]. It CAN be somewhat family-friendly, but only on the CN edited dub. On the DVDs, it should be unedited, because really the people who are buying the DVDs are genuine anime fans (who are generally teens and up), not 5 year olds. We've had to put up with 4Kids for a LONG time, releasing more edited DVDs would have the fans in an uproar.

I agree with you, but remember, the cast of One Piece are pirates, so in order to fit the part, they must act like pirates. However, despite the fact One Piece is show with pirates, this series isn't too violent or has too much foul language.

On a side note, with the fanservice, at least the female cast consists mainly of adults. Nami is 18 and Nico Robin is 28, so its not like the cast is made of teenagers or such.

Also, its not like the female cast are always in "objectable" material. Depending on the chapter, the characters may have diffrent clothing.

If you think One Piece is violent, then I suggest that no such person ever watch When They Cry or even Bleach. Though When They Cry is much more violent than One Piece and Bleach combined.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
OnanRulz wrote:
Quote:
But to be honest, if One Piece comes back to Cartoon Network, I have no idea how they'll deal with that scene.

Did you ever see how they dealt with the Tenchi Muyo OVA?

No, I didn't. You've gotten my curiousity, what did they do?

If you haven't seen the OVA, some episodes contain scenes where the characters are completely naked. Since CN couldn't remove those scenes, as over half the show would be missing, the graphics team at Toonami got creative and digitally painted bikinis and bathing suits over the female characters. I imagine they'd do the same to Nami, regardless of the fact that she should be naked during a bath.

I wish I had a video link to the CN version of Tenchi, but I'm sure someone will provide one soon after they read this post.
Pioneer Ent. USA, (later known as Geneon) actually tried to sell those on DVD, called "The Toonami Version." I hear it was a big seller for them not . You might find them still at Amazon, or Ebay. But be warned as half the story did eventually end up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

IIRC, all the alcohol references were removed as well, presumably to make it appropriate for an afternoon timeslot.

Man, I wish I could get that drunk off of tea...
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Indonesian dubs are very rarely edited. I guess they didn't want to take the time to make it safer. And yes, Animax is available in Indonesia.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

And that's beside my point. My point is that One Piece is was MADE to be a family friendly pirate story in the first place. And quite frankly, there's absolutely no reason why stuff such as fanservice or swearing should even be there at all. Hence my earlier complaint about the fanservice, that and the swearing Funi put in their dub being my only 2 complaints about the entire series. Whether or not we have to worry about "media is corrupting our children propaganda" or not is a moot point, because we're talking about principle here. Swearing and fanservice has no place at all in a family friendly series such as One Piece. That's the exact same complaint I have about pretty much everything SJ puts out, even Naruto (my #1 favorite series of all time, btw Wink ), that somehow these creators are making their series "better" or "more mature" in something that's good enough without it, and doesn't even need to be "more mature" in the first place.

Quote:

And POTC didn't have any drinking or violence in it either? Yet it still manages to be a family friendly pirate story, is it not? As far as I'm concerned POTC was probably even more violent than One Piece ever has been. If that's your idea of "too violent to be family friendly" then you're in for a reeeeaaaal shock if you ever watch even something like Naruto, Bleach, or FMA, nonetheless something like Elfen Lied or Berserk, let me tell you...... Fact of the matter is even in our society here in the U.S., something can be at least somewhat violent, on like, a low PG-13 level (about where I consider One Piece to be), can still have substance abuse in it and still be considered to be family friendly. Take a look at any PG or low level PG-13 movie and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not saying that we need another 4kids hackjob piece of crap or anything like that. I'm simply saying that One Piece doesn't NEED any of this fanservice or foul language crap in the first place. I think it's proven time and time again that it's a good enough series without it. So have other Jump series. So has history time and time again with stuff like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, POTC and other such works in similar fashion. Unfortunately, what pisses me off about said Jump series is that the creators of those series CAN make it good without all the crap and prove it constantly, yet they choose not to because they care too much about what the brain dead fanboyish/fangirlish side of their fandom thinks, which is that "there's something wrong with them if they like something that was made for kids" and "they need their excessive yet 'cool' swearing, spraying of blood all over the place with guts and body parts rolling along, and perverted shots of hot looking, sometimes even naked women" in order for it to be good......... Rolling Eyes But despite what has been proven many times in the past, people STILL don't seem to understand for some reason that just because it's made for kids, just because the whole family can watch doesn't mean that it still can't be something more mature people can enjoy! That's the kind of series One Piece is, that's the same kind of series other Jump series are, and excessive swearing just because it's "uncut and unedited" has no place in it whatsoever.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
"sensual looking women," and close-ups of "women's body parts"

Egad. Sensual images might cause young viewers to want to have sense with each other!

What I'm thinking is, "um, do Indonesian parents not take their kids to the beach? Pretty much everything you see in One Piece you'll see there."

That's assuming Indonesian women wear the exact same thing on the beach that American woman do, you know. Or that Indonesian culture has the same standards when it comes to modesty. I lived in India for a while, and a lot of women wore Saris--which leaves the side and back of your midriff completely uncovered. (The fabric of the sari covers up the front more, although sometimes you can still kinda see through the fabric.) This wasn't considered immodest at all--however, showing your ankles was considered much more daring, particularly after a certain age. It really all depends on the standards of their country.

...That being said, this does remind me to be thankful we're really not all that strict here in the US, all things considered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Ahh, wasn't Indonesia the same country that raised a ruckus against anime when some kid died trying to imitate Naruto? For the record, I wouldn't label most of the women in One Piece as jailbait. Though Vivi was 16, she wasn't as scantily clad in some scenes as Nami was. As already mentioned, Nami and Robin are over what we would consider to be legal, but even then Oda has taken into considerations the boundaries of what we consider to be shonen today. Shonen back then was a lot worse than what it is now. Just take a look at Fist of the North Star and Baron Gong Battle.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Perhaps the anime=cartoon=for kids stereotype 'helped' a lot in this decision. If I'm not wrong I've heard that it was showed on prime time too (weekdays 17:30).

My friend also said that a few years ago Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon also gets a lot of criticism for 'graphic violence' and 'suggestive sexual imagery' (the transformation scene). In the case of the former it even leads to early cancellation of the broadcast. My friend emphasizes that a lot of criticism used the 'for kids' stereotype.

I guess conservatives never change...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric: Now you seem to be changing the argument. At first, you were complaining about how Funimation "inserted" (though I added that it was still an accurate translation) foul language, now you're complaining about the Japanese's view on it. I hate to break it you, but the Japanese have different views on what is "acceptable" for their children, and I don't think it's our right to tell them what to do.

Also, you want One Piece to be at a low PG-13 level? Err.....it already is. Maybe you don't remember the DVD set as well, but there was nothing higher than "a" or d" words. Pretty small stuff compared to what's heard on quite a few PG-13 movies (heck, even the X-men movies had the "s" word in them). So once again, I'm not sure what you're gripping about.

Listen, fans wanted an accurate translation compared to 4Kids' "this might as well be a completely different story" version, and they delivered. It's those fans that will make up over 95% of those buying the One Piece boxsets, not concerned parents that'll freak out if their kids hear the same language they heard when they saw the Spider-man movies. Also, here's a thought: said kids will get older eventually, and THEN they can watch One Piece. You're acting like Funimation is denying One Piece to certain people, and it's not. Should J.K. Rowling have toned the later Harry Potter books just so 5 year-olds could be reading it instantly? They'll be able to read it someday, have some patience. Remember people, "instant gratification" is not a good word. Wink

Also, please don't insult my intelligence. Yes, I've seen FMA, Naruto, Bleach, etc (though, FMA, a kid's show? Um, if you think episode 7 is a great way to entertain your kids, be my guest....). But you've shown weak examples. The 7th (and 8th, as it will be two parts) Harry Potter movie will be spoiler[a cryfest, with characters getting offed left and right], and Lord of the Rings featured decapitations and human heads being catapulted. But apparently, parents would have more issues with language that their kids hear at recess anyway?

Funimation isn't going to cater to a very small percentage of their market. The majority of their market are teen-and-up OP fans who hate 4Kids and want an unedited DVD. And Zoro saying "darn" makes no sense. Why would someone who will gladly cut you up if you get in his way use "PC" language? Or Sanji, who will beat up people for arguably silly reasons? It makes no sense. These characters aren't meant to be "great moral examples for our children", they're supposed to be compelling characters. Toning them down is an insult to them. And ultimately, Oda approved the Funi dub, and his opinion really matters more than any of ours. It's his baby, he gets the final say.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
US anime fans should be thankful the Religous Right doesn't have their way.

That doesn't apply just to the "Right" but to the Left as well. Democrats have plenty of their own censorship problems with the overly-PC crowd and the easily-offended crowd. They also have a fair amount who think violent games/media causes people to be violent (not just desensitized).

I know plenty of people in the "Religious Right" who want little censorship as well.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well if Indonesian regulators have a problem with the nudity in One Piece then the TV station should censor it ala CN. Better to comply with regulations then wind up in jail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4