• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Film in Development at Fox

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerOsk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
So now, apart from Drgaonball, I believe it's:

Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Akira
Ghost in the Shell (Spielberg)
Battle Angel Alita (Cameron)

Whoo boy.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This could be an epic turd, magnificent, or any point in between; but we won't know until it's tried. So crying over it because it could be the anime equivalent of the 80s Captain America movie (as the DBZ movie seems like it will most resemble) ignores the possibility it could be anime's Superman: The Motion Picture.

As for Speed Racer...I echo Wyvern in saying that it wasn't relevant to most people. Just because it's been in reruns for a hundred years doesn't mean everyone's seen it, much less enjoyed it enough to pine for it on the big screen ever since. Although I will allow that a friend of mine's 8 year-old thought it was great...just not enough adults thought so (I never watched it for myself; Netflix will do for me).
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Finally! The rumors that were circulating around years ago finally came true. Oh praise Jenova!
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I think (and I will probably die from the usage of stabby objects made by some of the other board members for saying this) that Vin Diesel should play Jet Black. He has the build, the voice, and the age that matches with Jet Black. (The idea for Johnny Depp as Spike would be sweet, IMO, since he's the only American actor I think who can play that role).

Honestly, I'm very excited about this. It has the potential of being a good movie. Let's just cross our fingers that Yoko Kanno gets to do the soundtrack. It ain't f***ing Bebop without the Seatbelts!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
omnistry: I told you! He plays Jet in Babylon A.D. Razz
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
At first I though "Cool, a live-action Cowboy Bebop movie." However, I wonder if this'll even come true. After all, it's in its very early stages if ya read the article. If this does come into fruition, I hope that they will have Japanese or Asian actors to play most of the roles, Yoko Kanno doing the music, and Shinichiro Watanabe working on it as well. Although Johnny Depp playing Spike would be interesting, but since this is a Japanese series, I think it would be better if a Japanese or someone of an Asian ethnicity play the characters. Like I said, its Japanese, and to have American actors portay the Bebop crew would be like Americanizing Cowboy Bebop. Not trying to be racist, but I think it would be more authentic this way.
On another note, what do you think of Lucy Liu playing Faye? She played a femme fatale in Charlie's Angels, she could probably pull of Faye.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
This could turn out rather well. It isn't anything fancy like Speed Racer or Dragonball Z. These types of movies are pretty common.

So I have a much higher expectations of this movie that the DBZ movie.

And as for Jonny Depp... I don't think so... he is usually involved with either weird, sorta crazy rolls (Willy Wanka, Edward Scissor hands, Jack Sparrow)

I don't think he could really capture Spike's personality very well..

Edit: I don't understand. Just because Cowboy Bebop is a Japanese anime... why do the actors have to be asian? The story doesn't even take place in Japan...

Spike Spiegel... Jet Black... those names don't sound very Asian to me. And if I'm not mistaken, Spike was born on Mars.

And I'm not really sure about Ed..
Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV... I don't even know what that is. <_<

Anyway, my point is, just because the anime was made in Japan, doesn't mean there needs to be Asian actors... especially if the character they are portraying isn't Asian. Now I'm not against having Asian actors... I just want was is best for the character the actor is trying to portray.

Last edited by R315r4z0r on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, all I can do is pray. I hope if this is true, that it either dies on the table, or they actually do... a good... job... ::crosses fingers:: Confused

I just... I just don't see any actor really bringing these characters to life.

I know it's fake, but I just have to say, if Johnny schmuck, I mean depp, is in it, well, that'd ruin it for me. I'd rather see Keanu Reeves at that point.

::thinks positive thoughts, thinks positive thoughts::
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
No proof until production!

Besides, I think this will be fail.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I too agree that Depp isn't a good choice to play Spike. Johnny's a great actor, but this isn't his kind of role. He's better suited to play a weirdo like Ed. But .... that would be just wrong.

My choice to play Spike: Steven Jay Blum

I'm kidding, of course. Razz

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogerOsk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Like I said, its Japanese, and to have American actors portay the Bebop crew would be like Americanizing Cowboy Bebop. Not trying to be racist, but I think it would be more authentic this way.

Americanizing Cowboy Bebop? Maybe if "Spike Spiegel" was named Ken Ikagaru or something and blues and jazz weren't everywhere, okay, but the show is as American as you get. You can't "americanize" it any more then it already is. If anything, having Asian actors would make it inauthentic.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this is intolerable. Cowboy Bebop? Studios are shameless. They will miss the force and spirit of that show and turn it into some faceless action romp, indistinguishable from any other sci-fi pop movie, except for its sad versions of characters that only work in animation. I can even hear Firefly fans complaining already that it rips off that show.

And don't give me that, "Well, it might be good." So might the Watchmen movie, but it would miss the point entirely of the source material. I was fine with Speed Racer (it's basically a big live-action cartoon, and was fun as hell), and I'm not even bothered by DBZ's live action movie (Hollywood's been doing Dragon Ball Z for years, they just hadn't realized it until now), but this show should be left alone.

Let's hope that, with the Evangelion movie, this dies in the womb. Somebody somewhere has to have some good taste, right?

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Let the uninformed and angry rants... commence!

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go on debating myself how good or bad Watchmen is gonna turn out. At least we got a trailer for that. Never mind they've been talking about a movie for almost 20 years now. For Cowboy Bebop, you've got a ways to go for any news.

You're gonna carry that weight. Carry that weight a long time.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sounds cool - hopefully they dont take 5 years to make the film - and hopefully they do a good job of it too.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This just in: Justin Chatwin as Spike!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh hell no, they'd better not do this. I know that Bebop is partially inspired by westerns, but westerners should and cannot fudge this up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15