• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kanon DVDs 4-5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Often who reviews a volume is decided by nothing more than who happens to be following that particular series and/or who gets their hands on that particular volume first; for instance, Carl, rather than me, got to slam Otoboku vol. 1 simply because he was able to get to it first. (He will likely be the one doing Maria Watches Over Us for the same reason, since I'm rather busy this week.)

Actually... that sounds like really good news, especially given his enjoyment of Kashimashi
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Review wrote:
The plotting has a tendency to ignore other characters when convenient in order to focus on the feature girl of the moment, such as hardly acknowledging the existence of any of the previous featured girls once their turn has passed.

This was my biggest problem with the series. In some cases it makes sense, but for the rest you'd think they would at least me mentioned or shown at some point. I'm glad Clannad fixed this problem.

If you are reffering to Kanon's tendency to disappear characters who's arc is finished then yeah. I'd be thinking, "Well this isn't a large scoped series that switches settings a lot and these girls have pretty strict routines.....so where did they go?" That along with Yuuichi's characterization were my two personal problems. By Yuuichi's character I'm reffering to how he seemed to randomly alternate between being a loving older brother type to a sarcastic bully to the girls, yet no matter what they always seemed to respond to him as if he were in the nice onii-chan type personality. It seemed more then a little odd. I blame Sugita Tomokazu more than anything in that case though. The guy just cannot lose the sarcastic tone to save his life.

Anyway, I liked how in Clannad even if the focus wasn't on a particular girl at the moment you would still see her in the background or she would be in the scenes of other characters and even have a few lines. It just felt more natural and less blatantly structured that way.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
you're right, Clannad discussion doesn't belong here. But I'm definitely talking about that one. I didn't see much of difference really, but in general imho Clannad had very weak characters (or rather the stronger ones didn't get a lot of screentime in general), so that's probably influencing my opinion. Back to topic ^^

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
By Yuuichi's character I'm reffering to how he seemed to randomly alternate between being a loving older brother type to a sarcastic bully to the girls, yet no matter what they always seemed to respond to him as if he were in the nice onii-chan type personality. It seemed more then a little odd. I blame Sugita Tomokazu more than anything in that case though. The guy just cannot lose the sarcastic tone to save his life.

I found that quite refreshing in fact. Probably because I've seen too many harem animes where the male lead has no character at all, so it was nice that Yuuichi could be sarcastic f.ex. I agree it might not be really coherent, but well, for the above reason I quite liked it. And I believe KyoAni really aimed at a "Kyon-type" of character by even giving him the same voice actor.
billborden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

I found that quite refreshing in fact. Probably because I've seen too many harem animes where the male lead has no character at all, so it was nice that Yuuichi could be sarcastic f.ex. I agree it might not be really coherent, but well, for the above reason I quite liked it. And I believe KyoAni really aimed at a "Kyon-type" of character by even giving him the same voice actor.

I actually have to agree with this, What you're seeing as inconsistency is really part of what makes Yuuichi feel real. People, as a whole, are not consistent; guys generally like to tease girls, and Yuuichi even realizes when he has gone too far (See Eps 3). I admit to being a fan of seinen anime, but even to me, Yuuich is the first male character that actually felt like a real person (certainly K-1 and Kaoru aren't even close Wink )

In the same vein, I find the comparison to Kyon a bit funny as (while I loved Haruhi) I've always found Kyon the least believable male lead. Considering the un-reality of the series though, he fits right in.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Quote:
The plotting has a tendency to ignore other characters when convenient in order to focus on the feature girl of the moment, such as hardly acknowledging the existence of any of the previous featured girls once their turn has passed.

I agree and I also prefer series that manage to have all the characters interact with each other. True Tears f.ex. did a great job with that. Or ef as well, but that one is slightly different.

Quote:
This was my biggest problem with the series. In some cases it makes sense, but for the rest you'd think they would at least me mentioned or shown at some point. I'm glad Clannad fixed this problem.

huh, I thought Clannad was just the same or maybe even worse. They always spend some episodes focused on one character, and you never really see them again afterswards. Nor do they really influence each others actions.

But this kind of "every girl getting her own arc and being forgotten afterwards"-storytelling originates from the way the novels the series is based on are told. Every girl has her own story and sometimes you never even see the other girls in it, but it's only "main character" + "one of the girls". So it's not so easy to have them all interact and still tell the same story, I suppose.

Clannad has a different reason for doing so you will find this out in the end. But the game weaves them together better than the pervious two games (Kanon and AIR).

As for Yuuichi's in consistant personality I don't think that is true. He is like a caring father figure/friend. I didn't see any inconsistant changes.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
you're right, Clannad discussion doesn't belong here. But I'm definitely talking about that one. I didn't see much of difference really, but in general imho Clannad had very weak characters (or rather the stronger ones didn't get a lot of screentime in general), so that's probably influencing my opinion. Back to topic ^^

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
By Yuuichi's character I'm reffering to how he seemed to randomly alternate between being a loving older brother type to a sarcastic bully to the girls, yet no matter what they always seemed to respond to him as if he were in the nice onii-chan type personality. It seemed more then a little odd. I blame Sugita Tomokazu more than anything in that case though. The guy just cannot lose the sarcastic tone to save his life.

And yet I've seen way more out there in a character named Rance from the series of the same name. Once you've played that game Yuuchi just seems like an offshoot of the regular harem lead. Plus once you've heard Sugita Tomokazu in a couple roles you start hearing just him in pretty much everything he does as opposed to hearing the character. It's not a Kyon-Type role, anything Kyoani aimed for (as he was the seiyuu in the game itself) or even anything really unique at that point, it's just Sugita Tomokazu in his typecast sarcastic male lead role and it's gotten a bit annoying.
Peothra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
First, I am surpised it took this long for people to get the corelation of the word and the name of the episodes... i guess being a musician...i have an advantage
Second, at least the name is not a butchery job...just a choice
Third, i have enjoy what i've seen of Kanon and I have been frustrated by its slow release and the difficulty in finding any of the DVD's. When I saw 6 was on hold I chose to not buy anymore DVD's because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to complete the series.
Does anyone know if Clannad will be picked up and dubbed by Funimation?
ADV did AIR TV & Kanon, I hate for the best of these stories to get lost
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, I am surpised it took this long for people to get the corelation of the word and the name of the episodes...

I knew what it was from the get go, and I'm not a musician by any stretch. I'm just very ecclectic. Smile
unfurling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
i was wondering about something... i'll spoiler tag it so i don't ruin anything for anyone Smile

spoiler[has anyone else noticed that the brown coat that ayu wears is the exact same one that yuiichi is wearing in all the flashbacks? could that mean something?]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
unfurling wrote:
i was wondering about something... i'll spoiler tag it so i don't ruin anything for anyone Smile

spoiler[has anyone else noticed that the brown coat that ayu wears is the exact same one that yuiichi is wearing in all the flashbacks? could that mean something?]
Yeah, could mean the animators are lazy. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3