• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to End Toonami on September 20

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Um... Okay?

They're ending a block, I doubt this means that anime will stop airing on CN altogether, no loss.
Please tell me you don't actually believe what you just posted. CN has been steadily chipping away it's anime showings both on [adult swim] and on Toonami. If you really think there is no loss, I'm afraid I must laugh.

By the end of next year, I'm willing to be bet there won't be any anime left on CN.

I think I'll be changing my satelite subscription in the near future to remove CN from my line up as, frankly, I no longer want to watch them at all. Long live Sci-Fi's Ani-Mondays because they and IFC are now the only real shows in town.

OH COME ON NOW.

They're gonna stop showing Pokemon, Bakugan and all that other stuff JUST because Toonami ended? PUH-LEEZE.

I must laugh RIGHT BACK AT YOU, if you're going to retort to my comment in such a way. If Cartoon Network AND Adult Swim lose all their anime altogether, IT IS NOT A LOSS. Let's not forget, there's still an online viewing capability.

All that will happen is the companies who used to air on CN and AS will be pushed for other alternatives to broadcasting, a key one being Youtube and a purchasing alternative being iTunes.

I would expect someone who's posted as much as you have to some to a similar realization. There's still IFC, Sci-Fi, the occasional airings of stuff on Starz and Encore and of course, iTunes. There are still ways for people to get their anime fix.

Last edited by Kyogissun on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It's an absolute shame that Toonami will be ending, and much more so that it is going out in such an unceremoniously quick fashion (today you announce it...?) Despite the all of the things that happened to it across its lifetime (stretched to three hours, downsized, IIRC, to an hour once; every weekday to just Saturdays; canned altogether one time; the numerous style and programming-style changes), it really was the biggest and greatest gateway for anime for many fans for much of it and its mere success helped pave way for Adult Swim's existance.

Maybe in a few years Toonami will re-emerge, but for now, it was good while it lasted, in spite of the ever-changing atmosphere at CN. Hopefully, Ani-Monday or another venue will step up and pick up from where Toonami's legacy left off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

And I guess I can't wrap my head around how the ratings are the only justification, I mean don't people get bored of an episode that's been aired over a dozen time in a few months? Even kids get tired of such things.

Looking at the ratings for shows like Family Guy, Spongebob and many others, the answer is no.

Unfortunately, Family Guy has never been aired during Saturdays although it does rake in the ratings, but it's the lame shows like Tim and Eric that they keep pushing, and those get old fast, and the ratings for Anime have been better than the comedy reruns on most Saturdays prior to the most recent schedule change, so while ratings are obviously a big consideration, I don't believe they're the only factor at work here.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

And I guess I can't wrap my head around how the ratings are the only justification, I mean don't people get bored of an episode that's been aired over a dozen time in a few months? Even kids get tired of such things.

Looking at the ratings for shows like Family Guy, Spongebob and many others, the answer is no.

Unfortunately, Family Guy has never been aired during Saturdays although it does rake in the ratings, but it's the lame shows like Tim and Eric that they keep pushing, and those get old fast, and the ratings for Anime have been better than the comedy reruns on most Saturdays prior to the most recent schedule change, so while ratings are obviously a big consideration, I don't believe they're the only factor at work here.

For some reason Adult Swim is not allowed to run Family Guy on Saturdays. I don't know why. Maybe Fox figured it would be a good night to let their locals take advantage. Futurama was able to run on Saturdays though.
sakuragrl13579

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
It is a sad day when toonami goes away. (sniffle) i can't believe that they would dare take away our anime. We have rights, we should defend out rights!
braves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this sucks majorly. I remember growing up Toonami and all the anime that it aired, not to mention the great commercials that they came up with for various series. And I won't be able to see the last airing of it 'cause my sattelite dish hasn't been fixed yet.

You will be missed, Toonami. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maichips

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I've barely watched Toonami in the past few years, but it feels like a part of my childhood is about to die. T.T See you around, Toonami...
ScottGreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network has long been an unreliable participant in the venture of anime in North America.

The silver lining might be that companies trying to promote anime can eliminate the effort of trying to find (purchase) a spot for their anime on the network.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate. I'm a bit saddened by it, though it's a sadness muted by the agony of Toonami's runs in the past few years. I think it's probably time to put Toonami down. It's long past it's glory days.

I think what I'm really sad about is the shape of Cartoon Network. I suppose, though, that as a viewer and not an advertizer or programmer, I have a much different view. If airing live-action content, stripping away the classics and events like June Bugs and Super Chunk is what's profitable, perhaps they're doing very well. And maybe I'm too old to appreciate what they're doing for younger viewers. I'm certainly not hip enough, or whatever, to enjoy Adult Swim's stoner "comedies" and repeats of Family Guy, a show whose biggest laughs died out years ago, even before The Simpsons' or South Park's had, muffled by its own self-parody.

There's nary a reason to watch Cartoon Network anymore. Perhaps for Venture Brothers and Flapjack, the only truly entertaining still-running programs they run.

Toonami probably wasn't the sole driving force behind my fledgling anime fandom like it was many others, but it certainly contributed greatly in between the times when I couldn't get my hands on poorly produced fansub tapes or watch Saturday Anime on Sci-Fi Network. It did introduce me to the Gundam franchise, one that I am deeply entrenched in to this day, perhaps now more than ever.

I will miss Toonami. I'm sure something else will turn up to grab it's current viewers, but I doubt I'll be among their number. I've since moved on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm really upset by all this! Most of the good things Toonami aired (some of which have recently caught my attention) were on when I was still to young to really appreciate them, or to into Disney to care.

*sighs* I was really hoping to that they would at some point show something great again, just so I could really appreciate it. That programming block which shaped so many fans.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Um... Okay?

They're ending a block, I doubt this means that anime will stop airing on CN altogether, no loss.
Please tell me you don't actually believe what you just posted. CN has been steadily chipping away it's anime showings both on [adult swim] and on Toonami. If you really think there is no loss, I'm afraid I must laugh.

By the end of next year, I'm willing to be bet there won't be any anime left on CN.

I think I'll be changing my satelite subscription in the near future to remove CN from my line up as, frankly, I no longer want to watch them at all. Long live Sci-Fi's Ani-Mondays because they and IFC are now the only real shows in town.

OH COME ON NOW.

They're gonna stop showing Pokemon, Bakugan and all that other stuff JUST because Toonami ended? PUH-LEEZE.

I must laugh RIGHT BACK AT YOU, if you're going to retort to my comment in such a way. If Cartoon Network AND Adult Swim lose all their anime altogether, IT IS NOT A LOSS. Let's not forget, there's still an online viewing capability.

All that will happen is the companies who used to air on CN and AS will be pushed for other alternatives to broadcasting, a key one being Youtube and a purchasing alternative being iTunes.

I would expect someone who's posted as much as you have to some to a similar realization. There's still IFC, Sci-Fi, the occasional airings of stuff on Starz and Encore and of course, iTunes. There are still ways for people to get their anime fix.

First of all, not a lot of people get IFC to begin with, and Starz and Encore are additional packages that have to be purchased, and IFC airs about one hour of anime on any given week, and Sci-Fi only airs two hours worth in a week. Compared to what Catoon Network/Adult Swim used to show, it's not even close. Second, TV is a huge way to generate sales for the companies. It's a free, legal means for people to try before they buy, and while Youtube is all well and good, if somebody doesn't have regular access to it, then it's useless to them. Yes online is still available, but it shouldn't have to be the only source.

As for the comment about Bakugan and Pokemon, last I checked, both of those tend to air very early in the morning so their intended viewers are either sleeping or getting ready for school. And I don't know what the "other stuff" might even be because there is little, if anything else.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P Toonami, 11 solid years of pure joy and fun.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Hadn't Mike Lazzlo (sp?) openly stated that he doesn't like anime? As stupid as some of the CN/AS Originals are they are still cheaper per episode than anime.
Karasu416

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
It is a sad time indeed. But admit it, Toonami went down the toilet ages ago when it was reduced to saturdays only and stopped showing animes during the week.

But let me tell you, if they kept it going during the week and aired anime i'd stay with it forever. Sad they won't. I miss the old days when there was anime on every weekday and occasionally movies on friday. Sad

You will be missed toonami.
GenshikenServo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, depressing!

It may be a shell of it's former self, but I grew up listening to Deep Space Bass and yelling at other kids who weren't watching Tenchi or Outlaw Star.
Laughing

I don't care for Naruto at all, but I will tune in tonight for sure.
Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20