• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jellyfish Princes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
... Also, I know this is a little patronising but I find it adorable when Americans say 'British' accent! I'm pretty sure most of the people in that show are using 'English' accents. I know that outside of the UK 'British' and 'English' are sort of synonymous but it still tickles me every time I hear it Very Happy

... OTOH, the upper crust of the day were the bulwark of the Empire, and as a token courtesy to those peoples subjugated before the Empire as such really got going, it was not called the "English Empire" but the "British Empire".

And anyways, most Americans would have about the same reaction if the downstairs staff had Scots accents or Welsh accents, so "British" accent is actually a pretty accurate description of where it lies in the American media universe.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I loved hugo, the only thing I could compare it to is beast player erin in terms of it's story telling. there are so few stories that have the confidence to just tell their story.

I Loved the help, yes the pie gets way to much millage, but it is still extremely funny, my family loved it as well. I going to buy it on bluray.

I bought Princess Jellyfish as a preorder because I loved it. I have a horrible self confidence, but I really loved the main charcter tsukmi I know I probably missed some stuff, but I thought the show was hilarious, insightful, and, moving. I did not find the charcters to be annoying even though they are single minded. I am shocked though that you did not mention the opening to that series, since that was aimed at you.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
In this day and age I really cannot begin to say how much I respect ANN's strict no opinion in the news policy. Seriously.

Really fascinating stuff in regards to Princess Jellyfish. Haven't gotten around to seeing it. Definitely will though.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac, in the last podcast you mentioned, in passing, the you were looking for old DVD's of Arjuna. Did I mis-hear this? I only ask because one of the Twitter questions asked about anime you'd never watch again, and this would be near the top of my list. Just curious why you would actively seek out this show. Did you lose a bet?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
torinostu351 wrote:
Zac, in the last podcast you mentioned, in passing, the you were looking for old DVD's of Arjuna. Did I mis-hear this? I only ask because one of the Twitter questions asked about anime you'd never watch again, and this would be near the top of my list. Just curious why you would actively seek out this show. Did you lose a bet?

He genuinely likes Arjuna and wants to revisit it, it seems. He did the original DVD reviews for it here years ago and I remember him giving it high praise (save for a few ending quibbles)

I watched the first episode of Jellyfish on streaming and thought it was nice, but it pretty much slipped off my radar...But Zac's really thoughtful analysis of it really got to me, and I'm going to need to track it down now!

And though I won't be touch Yamada's First Time with a 10-foot pole (no pun intended), I thought the discussion between the title character's brazen sexuality and the theory of why it didn't do well pretty fascinating, oddly enough
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Loved Zac's take on Princess Jellyfish. As an older female fan, I absolutely loved this show (and was probably filling up Zac's twitter feed with my crazy fanravings). I am infinitely thankful to Funimation for bringing this over AND putting it on BD and loading up all the extras, including shorts on the various side characters.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
In this day and age I really cannot begin to say how much I respect ANN's strict no opinion in the news policy. Seriously.

Really fascinating stuff in regards to Princess Jellyfish. Haven't gotten around to seeing it. Definitely will though.

I feel the same way, most sites just state their opinions not facts. Use your personal blog for that lol.

On princess jellyfish I managed to watch the first epiosde on Hulu. It was actually decent but watching 360p streams.. well I would rather spend my money on nice BD set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I really hate modern journalism. I love watching Jon Stewart destroy fox or cnn on a regular basis. But the news here, it's respectable. It's good. And I don't think you guys get enough credit for that (unlike the editorial sections, which seem to be increasingly hostile of late).

Random Thoughts:
Quote:
He successfully beats off the dogs...
You know, that's illegal in most states

You know what's the best album ever? The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. YOU CAN'T DENY THIS.

Damn, I always wanted to read Three Kingdoms, but never found the time. I'll have to get to it--after I finish War and Peace (Yes, I own War and Peace. No, I've never finished it). Anyway, best adaption: Ryofuko-chan. I'm not making this up. Wait, yes, yes I am.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I really hate modern journalism. I love watching Jon Stewart destroy fox or cnn on a regular basis. But the news here, it's respectable. It's good. And I don't think you guys get enough credit for that (unlike the editorial sections, which seem to be increasingly hostile of late).

ya I really appreciate that you guys are one of the few places that actually do real journalism anymore. and I appreciative the reviews and features a lot as well. especially when government agencies are writing the reports for NBC, ABC is the only place that is somewhat...anywhere close to balanced. honestly I wish everyone was forced to read your site to get an idea of what real journalism. I will say at least fox is open with their bias.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I really hate modern journalism. I love watching Jon Stewart destroy fox or cnn on a regular basis.

I just hope you don't take Stewart and Colbert seriously.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Extremely interesting take on Princess Jellyfish. I really liked that Zac asked a female friend for a second opinion. Such a thought-provoking perspective.

Question to the women: What would be the live-action movie equivalent of Princess Jellyfish as seen from Zac's 2nd view of it?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
About Initial D, I was also very annoyed by the fact that Funimation's Third Stage and Fourth Stage releases were letterboxed. If the Japanese licensors didn't send them anamorphic masters (and it seems the Fourth Stage R2 DVDs were letterboxed, too), they should have at least taken the care to place the subtitles inside the 16:9 frame so we could zoom in on it and still be able to read them.

And I must be more in touch with my feminine side than I thought, because I loved Princess Jellyfish and I thought Tsukimi was a perfectly relatable character. I really liked her housemates, too, except for the loud, hyperactive one who's obsessed with Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I guess introvert otaku are more endearing to me.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
He genuinely likes Arjuna and wants to revisit it, it seems.

I picked them all up when they were coming out and inexplicably still have them. Say the word, Zac, and I'll send them your way. Very Happy I'll keep the soundtracks, though. Those things were amazing.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm staying out of the Jellyfish Princess discussion because it was picked up by Funimation but I do agree with Zac they do pretty good trailers. I am wondering if the trailer pointed out in the podcast is the same one with the ending tagline that I really got a kick out of.
It goes "Mom, I met someone. She's strong, she's beautiful...
...and she's a boy."
Love it. Love it!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
torinostu351 wrote:

Arjunu has been only one of two anime thus far out of the several hundred I have seen that I have dropped, so I share your sentiment.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

On princess jellyfish I managed to watch the first epiosde on Hulu. It was actually decent but watching 360p streams.. well I would rather spend my money on nice BD set.

If you were viewing on Hulu, you should have had access to a 480p stream. That was the primary reason I started watching Funimation simulcasts at Hulu until Funico came along and Nico Nico offered 720p versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6