• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote
Karl875180 wrote:
But didn't Reg use his fire beam against the orbed pincer, and we know shortly after that he falls asleep for considerable time? I don't recall that happening now, maybe it was just not shown due to this episode being rushed, or did they forget about that?

The anime may have made that scene feel longer, (ch.23/ep13?) spoiler[the next chapter in the manga(ch.23) and likely the next episode, shows Nanachi dragging Reg back to the hideout right after that last scene here.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
I considered the possibility that Mitty was Lyza too, but Nanachi claims Mitty was a girl the same age as Riko. Of course, Nanachi could be wrong/lying. In any case, my sense is that Nanachi wants Mitty dead to prevent her suffering and she doesn't have the heart to do it herself.
SeeKai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
At the beginning of episode 11 they showed a memory of Nanachi with a girl, I suppose that it must be Mitty by the red color of its eyes. I never thought that Mitty was Riko's mother, because of Mitty's crying, I thought Riko reminded her of herself, for all the suffering she had experienced at that age or the suffering that Riko might experience if she continued her journey to the bottom of abyss.

I do not think they make such a serious error with Reg's incinerator , their time before bed is 10 minutes, surely the next chapter begins with Reg sleeping or mentioning that he woke.

What I understood from the curse of the abyss is that if you rise vertically it affects you more, and if it is diagonal not much. The rest I did not understand.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Something about how this show is paced just works wonders on me... I'm usually not very easy to be affected by emotional scenes (or violent scenes for that matter) but somehow this show always finds the right time to punch me in the gut and then leaves enough time for me to realize my own emotions and reactions instead of, like some other shows would, immediately dictate how to feel by the reaction of another character.
It's subtle but effective.

At the end of this episode I was busy thinking "man, 2 episodes and I'm already emotionally attached to Nanachi. This is great" and then, exactly as I realized my attachment, we get to her request, which seriously hurt a little. And Reg's reaction to that took just long enough for me to not be distracted and fully realize the effect of the scene on me.

I really do think that all the super slow, mellow, build-up-y scenes in the middle of the show, that were borderline boring for some, are a huge reason why Episode 10 but also the ending of this episode can destroy me so much.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
@ Pandsu - yeah, Nanachi's request got me, too. This show delights in breaking my heart.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
Guess we're not using gender neutral pronouns for Nanachi anymore?
Pandsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
You do you
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 has to be the least good episode of the series. It also felt as setup for the finale, just like episode 11 felt. I would like to see more anime content in the future, but if not, I hope the extra long episode 13 delivers a well made and adequate conclusion. Barring a catastrophic finale, Made in Abyss should end as the best anime series from this season.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'll just assume there won't be a second season (or at least not anytime soon) and move on to the Manga after the finale. I too hope it's gonna be a great send-off, though. I'm gonna miss the great audio, especially.
I did check out the very last part of the chapter of the Manga that coincides with Episode 12 and I gotta say, the very last page also does a great job with Nanachi's request, putting it as the very last thing she says in the whole chapter and not even showing any change of Reg's facial expression, leaving that up to the reader's interpretation. It literally ends on a Very Happy face.

That only reinforced my respect for the anime adaptation because it probably wasn't easy to get that quite right. Freezing his expression like that for too long or just cutting off the episode exactly there would've felt awkward and unnatural but still they seemed to know the importance of letting it linger like that for what probably felt much longer than it actually was.

spoiler[giggity]
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the studio is able to do OVAs for Made in Abyss. Do one or two there for a bit and then, hopefully, a second season to follow. I wouldn't mind that at all, especially if a second season takes a while to come out after the conclusion of the first season.

Anyway, this was another stellar episode for Made in Abyss. Reg's reaction to Nanachi's request was something, like others here, that really got me emotionally. Man, is the anime doing such a great job of an adaptation and the staff earns major props for their attention to detail in everything here. I will be sad to see the anime go next week, and I have good faith that the makers will do what's best for the 13th episode.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
Personally, I'll just assume there won't be a second season (or at least not anytime soon) and move on to the Manga after the finale. I too hope it's gonna be a great send-off, though. I'm gonna miss the great audio, especially.

Do bear in mind it will get a lot grimmer than what anime has managed to cover thus far. Other than that, as a fellow reader, welcome on board. Smile

About a possible sequel, because there simply isn't enough source material, and also due to the fact the pace the manga comes out is abysmally slow, there won't be one at least in the near future. And the arcs that do exist(after the anime), are simply too long for stand-alone OVAs to do any justice for.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
After the episode where Nanachi was introduced, I just couldn't hold myself back and ended up reading the manga. I have to say, the anime is a pitch perfect adaptation. Also, there is enough material for a full second season, though after that the source would be tapped. I don't know what's going to happen after this, but I would be utterly heartbroken if they didn't adapt it all one day. I can wait as long as it takes, but for the love of god, don't end things here. The mangaka should be insanely proud to get an adaptation that works so well, and hopefully he'll use this as motivation to finish up the manga. Between this and Berserk, I need at least one ending! Anime hyper
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
This show is great but the amount of suffering in it makes it a hard watch at times. Nanachi tried so hard to save Mitty from something horrible and yet in the end she ends up asking Reg to kill Mitty. I kind of expected that to happen eventually since it was stated that there was no way to cure Mitty but it was a very sad way to end the episode.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Anybody else notice that Nanachi's voice got added to the ending theme in Episode 11 and is again in 12? Smile

I liked Nanachi's analogy of the Curse being, essentially, a Severe Tire Damage spoke strip. It'll let you in, but it won't let you out...

....maybe the Abyss really is an actual living creature, and that's its hunting method. Instead of a sweet scent, it lures in prey with ADVENTURE. And having ecological niches to fill.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
....maybe the Abyss really is an actual living creature, and that's its hunting method. Instead of a sweet scent, it lures in prey with ADVENTURE. And having ecological niches to fill.

This observation is making me wonder how analogous the Abyss is to the Dungeon in DanMachi. Granted, there's no equivalent to the Curse in the latter, but otherwise I see a lot of parallels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 29