• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everything Gina said above. This was the last show I thought I might watch this season. Not making the list.

I'll stick to LOGH, Spy X Family, Bookworm, Kongming and Summertime Rendering this season. With maybe a dash of Dance Dance Danseur. Wish I could like the protagonist more.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
With maybe a dash of Dance Dance Danseur. Wish I could like the protagonist more.

This is of course absolutely subjective, but for me Junpei is one of the best male protagonists I've seen in this genre (that I like to dub "young person finds their calling in life"). He starts out as an obnoxious brat, sure, but I love how he develops and grows - I'm a bit worried that the anime will not reach the parts of the manga where he really starts to shine, but even before that he has his moments. Also, I can't wait for the review thread so I can enthuse about what an amazing job Yamashita Daiki is doing with him, no wonder he's one of my favorite seiyuu from the more recent generation. He's fantastic at getting everything about the character across, he's an absolute joy to listen to.

For the record, Dance Dance Danseur is pretty much the only new show I'm watching this season, not counting Tiger & Bunny 2 that I'm trying not to watch all at once and which, so far, only makes me miss Double Decker even more. Slim pickings... I tried Kongming but after two episodes I'm finding I'm not vibing with it (also I'm really tired of PAW's female character designs), tried Aoashi but alas I'm still not one for sports anime, and I would've loved to watch Spy x Family but due to some IRL circumstances I simply can't handle some aspects of it (not the show's fault at all, it's me reacting badly to some really bad things happening right now). Will probably check it out eventually though.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So A Couple of Kooks finally debuted and it was awful. I was hoping for maybe an explanation of how they managed to mix up babies of different sexes and hair colors, but nope. Were the hospital staff afraid to look to note their apparent sex at birth? The girl's mother saw her at birth before they took her to the nursery, but she didn't notice that the baby she got back had black hair now? Presumably the same for the boy's mother?

I actually looked into this and believe it or not, such a case where a male and female baby were switched actually happened in Thailand back in 1995, but not discovered until ten years later.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/swapped-at-birth-babies-stay-with-families-26403745.html

The visibly different hair colors are easily explainable as just being for the sake of the audience. The Quintessential Quintuplets did just that. While the audience sees the five sisters with different hair colors, to everyone in the story their hair colors are the same.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So A Couple of Kooks finally debuted and it was awful. I was hoping for maybe an explanation of how they managed to mix up babies of different sexes and hair colors, but nope. Were the hospital staff afraid to look to note their apparent sex at birth? The girl's mother saw her at birth before they took her to the nursery, but she didn't notice that the baby she got back had black hair now? Presumably the same for the boy's mother?

Are we even sure there were adults even working in the hospital? I mean Japan has a shortage of adults. Never a teacher or police when you need them. I am sure the birth mother turned her new born baby over to the hospital and immediately joined her husband back overseas for work. The nearby school committee probably were the ones who mixed up the babies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
...believe it or not, such a case where a male and female baby were switched actually happened in Thailand back in 1995, but not discovered until ten years later.

Not entirely sure I believe it. Smile These kinds of bizarre clickbait stories always seem to take place in Thailand or some remote province of China, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Both mothers had fainted when their babies were born and no other family members were in the delivery rooms, so there were no announcements of 'It's a boy' or 'It's a girl'." Ok, and whoever was attending or whoever took the babies away never bothered to make note of it? In a country where boy babies and girl babies may not have been equally desired? I suppose it's not impossible, but the whole story sounds kinda sketchy to me. Smile
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

"Both mothers had fainted when their babies were born and no other family members were in the delivery rooms, so there were no announcements of 'It's a boy' or 'It's a girl'." Ok, and whoever was attending or whoever took the babies away never bothered to make note of it? In a country where boy babies and girl babies may not have been equally desired? I suppose it's not impossible, but the whole story sounds kinda sketchy to me. Smile

I have a harder time believing such an ugly baby as Erika grew up to be attractive - maybe that is why her mother fainted?

Yes, the story may be far-fetched, but then so is every fantasy and science fiction story. Not seeing any problem as long as the internal logic is consistent.

I found enough of the episode to be entertaining to give Kakkou no Iinazuke a 3-episode trial.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:05 am Reply with quote
Normally, I’d agree with you, but the article is from a legitimate news site, The Irish Independent. I wouldn’t be surprised if the mangaka heard about this story and used this story as the basis for the original manga. Even if it wasn’t a true story, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me since this is a comedy and not supposed to be taken seriously at all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well legitimate news sites have quoted The Onion as fact, so... Smile But anyway, that's not the deal breaker for me in this series. It's how not funny and stupid it is otherwise. I mean, Marmalade Boy's setup was unbelievable too, but I watched all of that because it was cute and often funny. But I'm glad they started this off with a boob grab and blackmail, since it told me who they were right away and I don't have to waste more time finding that out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21