• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Well last summer season I kept finding myself wanting to talk about this show after every episode, but I had no one to talk to. So this summer season I thought, what better time to finally create an ANN account than the start of Free season 2?

Firstly, I love that Haru is showing his emotions more now. He still doesn't do it all that often, but that just makes it really mean more when he does.

Their attempt to get more members was awesome. Just the image of spoiler[them doing their swim strokes all seriously while standing on the stage] was hilarious.

Rin being friendlier/happier than he was in the first season is also a plus. I wonder if spoiler[Mikoshiba will appear at all in the season past this episode, now that he's graduated? I was kind of hoping to see more of him this season, so it'd be a shame if he didn't at least pop in now and again.]

spoiler[I'll admit, it's silly, but I actually got a little teary-eyed when they revealed the cherry blossom-filled pool, since I immediately recalled Rin's wish to swim in a pool filled with cherry blossoms that was mentioned in season one. That was such a sweet thing for the Iwatobi boys and Gou to do...and then came the rain, but I guess it's the thought that counts.]

As for the opening song and animation, I'd say I'm neutral to it, as I was for the first season's. I like the first season's ending song better than this one (though I still like this one a lot), but I might actually like the animation sequence better. I'm not sure yet.

So glad to have more of this show!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Time for some Free. At least they were not made to wear scary animal costumes, but they probably spoiler[should not have let Gou write it if they wanted male members].

The ED, it has a spoiler[pelvic thrusting police officer]. I feel a little dirtied.

It was a good return, I always get worried but I end up enjoying it regardless.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!

And now it's time for sleep.

Oh my god can they seriously stop teasing us with the Shota frees and make an OVA of their younger days?

KyoAni please you're playing with my heart here. You give us such cute specimens and only tease us.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Aww, that was so much fun! spoiler[ Captain Rin! The cherry blossom pool! Lots of friendly Rin/Haru Iwatobi/Samezuka interaction! Gou still being her adorable muscle-loving self! That glorious ED animation!]

Looking forward to seeing more of Sousuke and his relationship with the boys. I suppose he's gonna be the one to stir things up a bit thsis season? Wink
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
I totally just started up the first episode on Crunchyroll just to skip to the ending song. I heard about a hip-thrusting police officer Rin, and I was immediately there. No questions asked.

The entire ED was amazing. I don't know what's best. Merman Haru in a "draw me like one of your French girls" pose. Astronaut Nagisa with the cute aliens. Scientist Rei blowing shit up. All of the guys as Men in Black (and those amazing poses). Or hip-thrusting Rin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah I can't get enough of that ending. Didn't think anything could top the ending from the first season but they definitely did. And hip thrusting Rin is my favorite.

In general enjoyed the first episode. Loved the cherry blossom and recruiting scenes. The only thing I didn't like was irionically the image chosen in Rebecca's review. When a character talks I want to see their face not behind.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad that Free! is back again. That was glorious. Their attempt to get new members was hilarious. "My best feature is..." Laughing

And that ED... oh my god. Whoever came up with that is clearly a genius.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
that was fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The comments so far are as entertaining as the episode was. Very Happy
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Ep. 2

Well it looks like Sousuke spoiler[gets along rather well with Rin. Not so much with Haruka.]

Funny how I and everyone on my Twitter TL reacted to hearing Suzumura. He was first a random classmate that was talking to Makoto which made everyone go, "Suzu???? o_O" and then he also voiced Momotarou (who is ADORABLE btw). Anime hyper It was funny seeing everyone have the same reaction.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Another fun episode, as expected.

I like what we've seen of Sousuke and Rin's friendship, spoiler[too bad Sousuke seems to hate Haruka.]

For some reason, I loved the little detail of parts of the Splash Fes poster being slightly different colors than the rest, after Rei pointed out that the English was wrong and they obviously had to fix all of them. Very Happy

Makoto's little brother and sister are adorable. spoiler[I love that they seem to like Rei. "Big Brother Butterfly!" So cute!]

I know last week I said that spoiler[I'd like to see more of Mikoshiba...] Well, this episode, they gave me spoiler[a Mikoshiba.] Momotarou seems like a nice enough character, though. Look forward to seeing more of him.

The title of the next episode, along with the preview itself, looks...ominous? That seems like much too serious of a word, but I can't think of a better one right now. I wonder what'll happen next week? Like I need any more reasons to look forward to this show...
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:
Oh so spoiler[Gou] does have some fans....cool.

Also, OST got better this season imo, a lot better. The race itself was short but sweet. That spoiler[Sosuke guy sure is something alright. I hope we see more of his past soon as he seems to not like Haruka much so far.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Rin's got spoiler[ his own best friend now and he's also much sexier than Makoto (just IMO, don't hurt me Makota-fans! Wink )!] Looks like Haru'sspoiler[ found a new rival.]

I also loved the spoiler[relay] and Rin being spoiler[a supportive captain to his team. Little Mikoshiba looks like a fun guy, he seems to have the same taste in girls as his older bro at the very least.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Members crisis continues...
Is it really that hard to get new members?
Or were their recruitment tactics just wrong..
So spoiler[Rin's team got a new member; Sousuke.
That guy is practically a pro.
I bet he's gonna give Iwatobi a run for their money.
So they got 2 new members, not just one.
Armored sidestroke was something new, but interesting.
Iwatobi vs Samezuka!]

That sure was intense! Awesome!!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Loved the music during the little confrontation scene. So is the ED supposed to be what they'll be doing after graduation? (I guess Haru will either be a seafood chef or a merman at SeaWorld).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 34