• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
it's actually kind of fascinating at how Murphy's Law has hit this series with the force of a drunken, rocket-powered semi-truck. This might be one of the strongest contenders for "worst followup season EVER" for an anime series.
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
i think Poe's law is more relevant
Murphy's law is what keeps the plot (and Kirito's "plans") going
probably Gino's bad luck is spreading
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, that review was satisfying, and it still felt like you had a ton more things to say but then it would be too long Laughing

Other problem, although this is more a problem of this kind of filler non-influential season, is the fact that the big conflict is (supposed to be) Akane's struggle, and however, the character hasn't evolved. This is early to say since there's still one episode left, but all points out to Akane ending being the same person as she was in the beginning, and all these supposedly "turning point" moments are not reflecting anything more than "remember? be the same as you were". Bo~oring, unless you consider a change the omnipotence paradox thing and Sybil/Kamui, but it's clear it's not going to happen anything so the conclusion is going to be "the system is wrong", which we already know so nothing has changed about Sybil or her. And of course, the rest of the characters don't change one bit (they don't even do anything for the most part) except Mika, but sadly she's a disaster of a character so bad representative of the show's character development...

Daerian wrote:
I'm personally extremely interested HOW Kamui knows how Sibil operates - by what I mean how does he know it's collective of humans' brains. It was big reveal in first season and while we know, I'm pretty sure almost no one in fictional world does.
Because if he doesn't, his entire plan makes no sense. It also doesn't seem that any of his "friends" would have high enough clearance to get close to such information.

Oh, that's right, the show hasn't still established that, and while his first actions can be made without knowing that, this last one is impossible. I guess you can say that he investigated with his ghost nature, but that's something that needs to be established even if it is with two quick lines.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Great review (I was starting to worry the episode had fried your brain), although I think I might have a couple of quibbles which you can probably answer, since I'm not firmly enough entrenched in this series to be sure about these things.

Quote:
Anyway, despite the fact that Sybil is known to be (passively) judging the population of an entire city through scanners at all times

From the first season episode about the factory scapegoat who was killing people, I was under the impression that scanning isn't a Sybil thing, but a computer thing. They couldn't connect to Sybil there because of the firewalls, and couldn't use their dominators to determine the killer's PP, but they could set up scanners to check hues. So I was thinking the scanners just flag people for Sybil to judge when the cops are called out. Is that wrong?

Quote:
Akane made a mistake (albeit an extremely sympathetic one) by not killing Makishima during their first confrontation.

I didn't see that as her choosing not to kill him, but that she couldn't manage it because her aim was off since she was firing one-handed. She couldn't use both hands because at that point she was so psychologically dependent on the crutch of the dominator she simply couldn't bring herself to discard it even when it proved useless. She was also unable to shift gears and judge him herself when her whole life was based around trusting Sybil to make those judgements. Or were you referring to when she didn't bash his brains in when she had the chance? That was a mistake. Smile

Does Kamui know Sybil is brains? I was thinking his goal was just to find it so he could either destroy it with a "does not compute" paradox or take a hatchet to it. Smile All while finding out if it could judge him, or something. I'm still not clear on what he's trying to do. This season makes my brain hurt.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So which is the bigger trainwreck, this one or Twintails?
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
So which is the bigger trainwreck, this one or Twintails?
twintails doesn't pretend to be smart at least
samflam is still the best tho
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Ange is the biggest trainweck of the year(tonight´s episode led to a 4chan meltdown) and ZZ Gundam is the biggest 'Question' followup to an anime ever. That said it was a bad idea to turn PP2 into a remake(it took me a while to notice because i originally startd with ep 04) of season 1 with a mirror universe take on atmosphere and the way content is presented. But then again i wouldn´t be here so i won. Season 1 was an obligation, this one is appointment television and my 5th favourite anime of the year. Vote in the poll ! Mushishi>Parasyte>Sexy Dandy>BahaMAX>Psycho Path 2
How does PP2 pretend to be smart ? The anime couldn´t be more straightforward and in your face.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
i wonder what it's like living in your alternate reality or parallel world
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well i have a beard'Cool' and evil Spock has a goatee so i may be from another world where 80s anime suddenly never stopped. I also called PP2 transmission from another planet if you recall.
Heroic Age is actually good in the long run by the way. Ubukata can turn even Xebec anime into quality it seems. Thank you Hope for introducing me and now my friends to the anime because of your negative score when i accidently clicked on your review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Ubukata can turn even Xebec anime into quality
and here i thought you loved mnemosyne
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Dear sir i have Mnemosyne publicly sitting on a "Awful" how can you even suggest such a thing ? Only Hoods is worse at anime. Ah yes Bahamut is heaps oldschool too. Animes of 2014 i love you.

Edit: Break Blade is ok 6/10, Martian Successor Nadesico 8/10 should be their only anime i completly like but even there the movie kills it.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
why? it has pointless gore, over the top violence and a shitty plot, i thought you liked those things.

also Xebec worked on Break Blade, which is nice
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Dear sir i have Mnemosyne publicly sitting on a "Awful" how can you even suggest such a thing ? Only Hoods is worse at anime.

Mnemosyne is hilarious. I have a hard time believing it's not intentional.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Another solid Hope review. The "too many Dominators!" thing and Togane "painting Akane black" deal are more passengers on this sinking ship of a show. At this point, I'm assuming anyone who's watched this far just wants to see how it ends already.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I didn't see that as her choosing not to kill him, but that she couldn't manage it because...at that point she was so psychologically dependent on the crutch of the dominator.
...She was also unable to shift gears and judge him herself when her whole life was based around trusting Sybil to make those judgements.

I had a similar interpretation of that scene. Akane has basically been told by Sybil what to do her entire life and at the one moment her decision matters the most, she freezes up and can't shoot him.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
I also like how Kamui nonchalantly says about the passengers with 300+ PP. So, either some criminals like to ride on trains or this situation should make some passengers psych so bad, eh? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 27