• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannoX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@HannoX

I rewatched the High Bishop and Myne fight.

Ferdinand is quite clearly sitting at the table with the High Bishop, when Myne and her family walk in. Two separate scenes show him sitting with the High Bishop, before the physical altercation with Myne's father happens.

Okay you mean the original encounter. I thought you were referring to spoiler[something that is coming up. When you said you've read the English LNs I thought you had gotten to that part.]

There are still reasons why Ferdinand did not interfere then. The High Bishop does outrank him in the Church hierarchy and spoiler[comes from a high noble family himself.] And at the time Ferdinand did not know how valuable Myne is with her large amount of mana (he may have thought she was like Frieda) and her knowledge of new products that will prove very valuable to their realm. So to him she was just a commoner with an unknown amount of mana who could be of some use. And perhaps he wanted to see how things played out. Ferdinand is a very calculating character.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
That is not really my issue. It is the "Lets Kill the Parents, and take what we want." I am of the thought that Ferdinand would be there watching as Myne's parents are executed.

If that happened, would the first book Myne made be the Necronomicon. It is another older way to make parchment.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh c'mon. They weren't going to kill Lutz's parents when Benno was going to adopt him.
I'm guessing this would be more of a case of patronage than real adoption.
Not that I think Myne will be immediately receptive of an "adoption" but it's obviously going to be more of a name-only deal. And is obviously necessary.

It looks like the English books have now all been published up to this point. If you go to Amazon you can find the subtitle for this next part

Part 1: Daughter of a Soldier
Part 2: Apprentice Shrine Maiden
Part 3: spoiler[Adopted Daughter of an Archduke]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Urashima Tarō

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:10 am Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:
I'm going to put my reply behind a spoiler since I don't want to risk anyone who hasn't read the LNs available in English finding out what's coming.
spoiler[If you have read all the LNs out in English, how did you miss the part about the High Bishop being the son of the last archduke while Sylvester is the grandson? The only reason Sylvester is archduke now is because the High Bishop has only a little mana. Additionally, Sylvester's mother (whom he seems to love) has been protecting her little brother and Sylvester admits he has let the High Bishop get away with his crimes for too long because his mother intercedes for her brother.

As for Ferdinand not intervening while Myne is under attack and her father is fighting, that's something else you seem to have missed. Ferdinand says he was in his secret room, which blocks all outside sounds, and he had told his attendants not to disturb him so they didn't dare try to call his attention to what was going on. A classic case of taking order TOO literally. ]

spoiler[The High Bishop isn't the son of the previous archduke and Sylvester is the son of the previous archduke.
If you looked at the Part 2 Volume 4 Prologue closer you'd see it says "Under normal circumstances, the nobles gathered at the mansion would never yield the seat of honor to a temple man, but both Bezewanst’s mother and father had been candidates to become archduke" i.e. his father wasn't the previous archduke.
Then near the end Myne's internal monologue says "..The High Priest is the archduke’s half-brother, and the son of the last archduke? Okay, that explains why the Knight’s Order would kneel to him.", as Ferdinand and him share a father it means Sylvester's father was the previous archduke. Here is a family tree: https://i.imgur.com/5zuuoss.png]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
@HannoX

The physical release of the latest Light Novel must have been available before the digital release. I just got mine a couple of days ago, and have already reread it several times. Going to have to talk about it in the Light Novel forum, as it is extremely impactful.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@HannoX

The physical release of the latest Light Novel must have been available before the digital release. I just got mine a couple of days ago, and have already reread it several times. Going to have to talk about it in the Light Novel forum, as it is extremely impactful.

Since the light novel is licensed by J-Novel Club, the ebooks are available 4-6 months ahead of the paperback release. The latest paperback was Part 2 Volume 2, which is where the anime stopped (next volume set for November), whereas the ebooks are up to Part 2 Volume 4, with Part 3 Volume 1 releasing in a month and a half in August. So if you wish to read ahead of where the anime has stopped, ebook is your only option for now until the next paperback volume releases in five months.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
Of course, Myne also comes across as a bit of a garbage person w/r/t the whole devouring friend thing, so there's plenty of disapproval to go around.

What is a devouring friend thing?

Myne's friend, the Guildmaster's daughter/granddaughter also has the devouring, and is being sold off to a noble family in order to access health care. The story stresses that the Guildmaster found a "benevolent" family for her, but at the end of the day it's still sexual servitude on pain of death.

Meanwhile Myne has discovered a cheap and effective alternative treatment that she never thinks to share, despite the fact that doing so would be beneficial to her own paper-manufacturing goals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 26 of 26