• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
... We're at the end of the show. Let's move on from the conversation, because it keeps getting further off-topic.
Have you had the opportunity to watch this series since your previous comment in this thread, Willag?
Crext

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well... They clearly laid the grounds for either a second season or some OVAs down the line...
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why was Haruka being such a bitch to him until he [...]

[...]

Ryutai wrote:
Yamamoto senpai only made obvious something that to me, was clear already[...]
Had Haruka already figured out what was going on inside Akira's head by the time the soccer ball rolls against Haruka's foot, Ryutai? Gina Szanboti?
I don't think Haruka was portrayed as though she had figured Akira out by then, despite being her friend and running partner for years.

Did Masami, the restaurant manager, talk to Midori when he dropped Yuuto off at home? How much time of the episode would it have taken to show that moment when Yuuto excitedly tells his mom about his improved running abilities and the young woman who took some of her time to teach him?

There is a section for manga on the ANN forums, btw.

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
Well... They clearly laid the grounds for either a second season or some OVAs down the line...

I doubt it.
The anime did it's job and there's the manga (and also the movie).
The most we can expect are doujins in the next Comiket.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
In the end it was a great show and highly memorable. The first half, when it focused on Akira relentlessly pursuing Kondo, was GODLY. Without any doubt the best, most spectacularly produced episodes this season. It managed that thin line of being tasteful while handling a "problematic" subject matter so excellently I still can hardly believe it.

Unfortunately, the second half was not nearly as good, as the focus shifted to Akira's deteriorating friendship. This was not really engaging material, in fact I would argue it felt really flat and almost boring. Akira herself became boring, that ambitious and selfish Akira of the first half was gone. Thankfully, this second half was single-handedly saved by the amazing exploration of Kondo's character. As another reviewer said, and I paraphrase, a 45 year old character will almost always be more interesting than a 17 year old student. They will have more of a story to tell, with all the heights and the of lows of the human condition, and more context.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
As another reviewer said, and I paraphrase, a 45 year old character will almost always be more interesting than a 17 year old student.

That depends on the perspective of the viewer. As a 50+ year old myself, I find a 17 year old character far more interesting than a 45 year old character. The 17 year old still has major life choices to make, is still a significantly developing character, and stories about them can go in far more different directions. A 45 year old has the baggage of all their previous history, the major choices of their lives were made long ago, and their futures are usually far narrower in scope.

See? Depends on perspective; mine is admittedly quite likely a minority viewpoint.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:

See? Depends on perspective; mine is admittedly quite likely a minority viewpoint.

I don't really think so. It's all about potential. As we get older, our potential for doing something that breaks the mold also diminishes because we have responsibilities, we have (usually) more common sense and mostly we're not facing huge choices.

I think that is part of why anime characters are so often portrayed as teens and why older characters are often portrayed as passing the torch because they already had their shot at bat and now its time for the youngsters to take their turn.

As to the show itself, I feel kind of like it is a cop out more so than a bait and switch. I don't know if the manga told the exact same story or not but it turned out to be more slice of life than anything else. I don't really think it touched its supposed subject matter at all. Or at least it didn't feel like it to me. Neither of the main characters are conflicted about the romance aspects of the relationship at all. Kondo dismisses it and Akira is just single-mindedly for it until she realizes she wants to run again?
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
A 45 year old has the baggage of all their previous history, the major choices of their lives were made long ago.
That is precisely why they are more interesting. They have more pain, more struggle, more triumph, and more disappointment to tell than your regular high-schooler.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I’m a 33 year old woman and I found this series engaging from beginning to end. AOTS for me, only just edging out Antarctica Girls.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
wastrel wrote:
A 45 year old has the baggage of all their previous history, the major choices of their lives were made long ago.
That is precisely why they are more interesting. They have more pain, more struggle, more triumph, and more disappointment to tell than your regular high-schooler.

Right because Anne Frank had no struggles pain or disappointment. She was a really uninteresting part of history. If only she had been 45 - 50.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
In the end it was a great show and highly memorable. The first half, when it focused on Akira relentlessly pursuing Kondo, was GODLY. Without any doubt the best, most spectacularly produced episodes this season. It managed that thin line of being tasteful while handling a "problematic" subject matter so excellently I still can hardly believe it.

Unfortunately, the second half was not nearly as good, as the focus shifted to Akira's deteriorating friendship. This was not really engaging material, in fact I would argue it felt really flat and almost boring. Akira herself became boring, that ambitious and selfish Akira of the first half was gone. Thankfully, this second half was single-handedly saved by the amazing exploration of Kondo's character. As another reviewer said, and I paraphrase, a 45 year old character will almost always be more interesting than a 17 year old student. They will have more of a story to tell, with all the heights and the of lows of the human condition, and more context.

Yeah pretty much, the story had Akira and the other girl being friend from before they started racing so I never got why they couldn't be friend even if Akira wasn't running anymore, so I never cared about that side of the story. Plus it's hard to care about Akira reuniting with a passion she's probably going to drop soon anyway (almost no high school kid continue doing there club activity once they graduate).

Kondo and his friend were so much more interesting... I'd watch an entire anime of just these two.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
wastrel wrote:

Interesting to you, I guess. I'm more interested in potential, hope, and a fresh outlook on life. I have my own pain and disappointment, I don't really seek to see more of it in my entertainment. Of course, here it was used as a counterpoint, to show the differences in the two characters, so it wasn't as boring to me as would have been a show that was only about those things.

I'm not trying to convince you, just pointing out that different people are into different things.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
willag wrote:
... We're at the end of the show. Let's move on from the conversation, because it keeps getting further off-topic.
Have you had the opportunity to watch this series since your previous comment in this thread, Willag?

Nah. I doubt I will get to it at any point soon. Clearly, the show is well done, given the amount of praise I have read. I just find the premise boring. I have a respect for noitamina shows, which might get me to pick this up eventually. But otherwise, there are many other shows that sound a lot more compelling than a modern day, low key drama/romance, even if it is really well done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
I greatly enjoyed this series, it was like a breath of fresh air. And done within realistic context, which is a bonus in my book. Smile
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Right because Anne Frank had no struggles pain or disappointment. She was a really uninteresting part of history. If only she had been 45 - 50.
Well right off the bat Anne Frank was far from a regular high-schooler so your analogy is a bit forced.

Last edited by Chrysostomus on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 31