• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Slayers Revolution, Evolution-R Fantasy Sequels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:
JairStout wrote:
GATSU wrote:
So much for that person on here who claimed anything made more than ten years ago won't sell. Looks like Slayers fans are still around after all these years; and newbies are willing to give it a shot, too.

Not this newbie. The show looks terrible, in all it's iterations. Am I the only who is really disappointed by this license? The picture ANN has for it alone turns me off to the series. What are those things I'm looking at? Confused

Plus, the newer generation in general probably won't touch this. I can't imagine FUNi's going to pull in any of the crunchyroll crowd.... So who is going to buy this? Do they honestly believe they can make money off of it? I guess so, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm planning on picking up the old ones before this comes out since I haven't seen them yet. Plus, if the show is good, why say you won't watch it because of the art? I'm glad FUNi is licensing this since it may help sell copies of the originals.
Trust me, they wouldn't aim a show specifically at the Crunchyroll demographic if they wanted to make money...seeing as how the Crunchyroll users, for the most part, don't like paying for their anime.

Slayers revolution will appeal to some new fans, to be sure...but I think the main pull will be towards the older fans who have jobs and typically buy the box sets/DVDs of shows they like.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
They better get Lisa Ortiz to reprise her role as Lina. I probably wont be purchasing it otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Lisa Ortiz is ok but I don't think I would mind because the subs still have Megumi Hayashibara. I'm still not sure If I want this though.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
It's worth noting that because FUNi describes the show as being "26 episodes" and that they won't be releasing the "complete series" until 2010, it's clear they have also licensed Slayers Evolution-R as well.

Haha oh wow. Enjoy your wait if you like being legit then. I'll bet they'll release it in singles too.
Funi said in their press release that this will released in a season set.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Funi is prepared to let go of singles all together. Not that I mind though I much prefer complete sets and season sets.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
And still no mention of Lost Universe in all this...

Cmon now - Lost Universe contains the weapons developed in the 3rd Slayers series, and takes place in the Universe created by the Dark God....
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
And still no mention of Lost Universe in all this...

Cmon now - Lost Universe contains the weapons developed in the 3rd Slayers series, and takes place in the Universe created by the Dark God....

Right Stuf/Nozomi rescued this and I believe they still hold the license. Their box set release is readily available too.

I would like to see the original cast, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It is more likely they will use the cast ADV used - although Crispin Freeman did show up in the one release they had that included Zelgadis!
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Haha oh wow. Enjoy your wait if you like being legit then. I'll bet they'll release it in singles too.

Have you not paid attention to how Funi has been running these days? They licensed Ouran and are releasing it in two boxsets that cover the entire series, not singles. Meaning Slayers Revolution would be one set, and Evolution-R would be another. I think the only singles they're really doing are for the titles they rescued from other companies and finished releases for, like Kanon.

Regardless, the digital release comes out next year so there won't be that much waiting. Next year is in just a couple of days, folks. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Even though Slayers Revolution is coming out in a couple of months, waiting a year isn't that long. It took Chrono Trigger thirteen years to be put on a handheld system. Also, it took eight and half years to make Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King.

Slayers is a great show, I look forward to watching the series again on Netflix eventually. But truth be told, I am glad Funimation actually licensed a series that has more of fanbase with it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Have you not paid attention to how Funi has been running these days? They licensed Ouran and are releasing it in two boxsets that cover the entire series, not singles. Meaning Slayers Revolution would be one set, and Evolution-R would be another. I think the only singles they're really doing are for the titles they rescued from other companies and finished releases for, like Kanon.

Regardless, the digital release comes out next year so there won't be that much waiting. Next year is in just a couple of days, folks. Smile

Why yes, I have. They're also releasing singles for Claymore and Darker than Black, which are titles that are just as big as Ouran, so your argument in invalid.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Why yes, I have. They're also releasing singles for Claymore and Darker than Black, which are titles that are just as big as Ouran, so your argument in invalid.

That's two shows out of how many?
braves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Why yes, I have. They're also releasing singles for Claymore and Darker than Black, which are titles that are just as big as Ouran...

Not really. Action shows definitely sell a lot more than shoujo comedies. And those are pretty much the only shows that FUNimation owns and are releasing in singles. By 2010, FUNi will probably be releasing everything in box sets, for better or worse....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Obviously FUNi knows they'll make a profit on this. But as everyone has pointed out, the majority of the buyers will be those who already liked its previous installments.

Anyways, I'm not trying to be prejudice towards this show, it's just very well removed from my cup of tea. More power to the fans who do buy it! The point I made with crunchyroll is that I thought it was the demographic the R1 Co's are supposed to be targeting, so as to decrease illegal fansubs and all, right?
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'll be looking forward to this, kudos to Funi for all the new licenses... I caught the 1st episode of the new Slayers on CR & it was yanked (must've been due to this licensing) before I got to see the 2nd. It was nice to see the old gang back together with updated animation.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Ugh I apparently got my hopes up for no reason. Neither Seto or Spice. I have no interest in any of these shows(except Count maybe) and the others I already have. The only way this event could be any worse for me is no Soul eater or Eva.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7