• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Considering the eventual pricing for KnK, there's already a (probably similar) boxset released by Kaze France, with a MSRP of 80 Euros. So yeah, it's probably safe to assume that these will go for at least 100$ (MSRP). Which I think is perfectly fair, btw. These are some top quality movies that deserves quality releases.

Honestly that should be the BLURAY price. There is no legit reason why a bluray version should cost more than 10 US dollars EXTRA over the dvd version.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Eh, not really. It's strange to find that the reason considering the Japanese release is long since sold out.

But that would make even more sense as to why there isn't a BD release, as that would mean the Japanese would turn to reverse importing, thus killing any potential future re-release possibilities there. Having it DVD-only further keeps them away due to region coding differences.

Point being that having a DVD-only release for KnK is basically a "Sucks to be you." from Aniplex towards anyone who wanted a normal BD release but couldn't possibly afford the set (or has common logic that $500 for anime, or just about anything else, is a lot of money). Same with OreImo, but to a different degree, as it basically says they have no real interest in bothering with the series. No dub, $70 price point for a "Limited Edition" release with no standard edition until much later on and no Blu-ray release. I heard the subbing also had some issues with grammar (which is what stopped me from watching their horrible Star Driver stream). Meanwhile, Japan got a BD release. We pretty much got an inferior product.

You shouldn't feel cheated by Aniplex. Just think of how good we have it for pricing compared to Japan. These $500 sets are common practice in japan. While over here we get far more for far less and have done for along time.

Standard practice in Japan is two episodes a volume. And then each volume costing a HUGE amount more than the American counterpart. Even Aniplex's Blu Ray Standard Releases of Madoka Magica are far cheaper compared to the Japanese Versions. And ours have four episodes each not two.

Aniplex USA are a Niche company within a Niche industry and their buisness strategies are likely to reflect that throughout their Span of exsistance.

Aniplex Japan wont allow the USA arm to cause any buisness issues for them in Japan. The clash of Blu Ray regions means the Import Day and Date Structure of Releases is likely to continue for all releases and be the only way to get the shows in HD. Its pretty cool they do that at all tho' for those who are willing to spend the cash (not me included).

DVD re-releases in nice boxsets like Blue Excosist and Durarara will be enough to stop me feeling to frustrated.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
Considering the eventual pricing for KnK, there's already a (probably similar) boxset released by Kaze France, with a MSRP of 80 Euros. So yeah, it's probably safe to assume that these will go for at least 100$ (MSRP). Which I think is perfectly fair, btw. These are some top quality movies that deserves quality releases.

Honestly that should be the BLURAY price. There is no legit reason why a bluray version should cost more than 10 US dollars EXTRA over the dvd version.

Licensing costs, replication, etc. There are multitude of reasons.

But, $100 MSRP for KnK...if that was the case isn't bad considering you are getting seven movies in one package that could easily go for $20-$25 a movie if released seperately (and it was released seperately first in Japan...so lucky us we get a boxset).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
obviously you have no idea what you are talking about since sony charges a fee to release discs on bluray they should cost more

anyway, you people should stop buying DVDs; now you've gone and encouraged aniplex to release more DVDs...
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh for god's sake Aniplex, release some freaking blurays. That was the reason I didn't buy OreImo the first time around. I just found out about Kara no Kyoukai fairly recently and have been looking to find some way to watch it legally (all I had found was PSN), but no bluray for that either?

Really, people need to stop buying dvds and the industry needs to start doing bluray only releases to push the consumer to upgrade to bluray. I mean come on... Anime cry
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
anyway, you people should stop buying DVDs; now you've gone and encouraged aniplex to release more DVDs...

Are you kidding? I still buy used VHS tapes from time to time, my VCR is hooked up to my HD TV. I was still buying new tapes well after DVDs were established and anime companies were still making them. Not everyone just adopts the newest thing immediately. I've got a few BD movies, but I still go for DVDs for series.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

I don't quite get what you mean, $10 more than what? Kaze France's current price is 80 EUROS, meaning roughly $105 US, for a boxset that includes all 7 movies on DVDs + 7 cds. So yeah, I doubt the boxset will go for much less than that here, and that's perfectly fine by me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fifth B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, you could have kept that Oreimo boxset you bought unopened, sold it for $2,000, bought the Kara no Kyoukai Blu-rays and then rebought Oreimo for cheap! But noooo, you had to think, "well at least this way I have ONE limited edition thing in my collection". Damn you sensible planning, why must you elude me?!

Welp, time to set up an account on Amazon marketplace and see what I can get for it.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I've heard really great things about Kara no Kyoukai and it sounds like it would be best viewed on Blu-ray but then I realised that I'm in a different Blu-ray region so wouldn't be able to import and play one anyway Anime hyper

Aniplex license = potential Siren license? *hopes*
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Oh for god's sake Aniplex, release some freaking blurays. That was the reason I didn't buy OreImo the first time around. I just found out about Kara no Kyoukai fairly recently and have been looking to find some way to watch it legally (all I had found was PSN), but no bluray for that either?

Really, people need to stop buying dvds and the industry needs to start doing bluray only releases to push the consumer to upgrade to bluray. I mean come on... Anime cry

you know who this is bro but they aren't able to .. it cuts to much into their sales in japan just be happy oreimo is coming over again under the price of used car >__> for the love god...that makes me happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Meanwhile, Japan got a [Oreimo] BD release. We pretty much got an inferior product.

Yeah, and know how much they paid for an Oreimo BD release? About $720 MSRP at the current conversion rate.

Know how much those who bought Aniplex USA release of Oreimo paid (while it was still in stock)? $75 MSRP. We paid literally just over 10% of what Japan paid for BluRay. When you pay 90% less you're definitely going to get an inferior product.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I might be able to afford the KnK boxset now.

Very Happy That's exactly what I was thinking. All the copies I have seen were many hundreds of dollars.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Your basic good news/bad news scenario for me. Delighted another release of Garden of Sinners is coming out, but really bummed it won't be BD. I'm normally not a "gimme BD or gimme nothing" kind of guy, but Garden of Sinners is definitely one of those visually stunning works that really benefits from BD. Still this is better than no new GoS release at all.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend posting on Aniplex's facebook page if you are dissatisfied with the fact that it will be dvd-only. May as well tell them.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Uh, no. Plus sometimes there are crap Blu-rays, and people will want to stick with their DVD's. I mean look at what happened to FLCL and Shakugan no Shana. These all want to make me barf.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1906418&postcount=165
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=87427
http://i.imgur.com/LmCTI.jpg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11